1. Enox

OP Enox Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    HI, sorry if this is the wrong place for this.

One of my Nintendo Switch consoles after 5-10 minutes stops outputting to the TV. My guess is this is a thermal issue but I'm not entirely sure how to determine that.

My other Switch works fine on the TV, on both docking stations on multiple TVs. I've tested this Switch in the same way, and only it behaves this way.

Does anyone know if this is a common occurrence? Possible it's a common issue? I replaced the thermal paste after this started occurring, but it didn't seem to help.

2. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Germany
    Do you use the original dock and charger?

3. Enox

OP Enox Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Yes. It's the same issue with both Docks/TVs

4. Naendow

Naendow Brick-Master

Germany
    Sorry, I have no clue then. I've often heard about devices being damaged from 3rd party docks, but that does not seem to be the case then. :|

5. kaputnik

kaputnik GBAtemp Regular

Noticed that the Switch's HDMI CEC implementation can behave kind of flaky on a couple of occasions. Have you tried disabling CEC in the TV?

6. Enox

OP Enox Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    I have. This is the only Switch that displays this behavior though. My thought was maybe it's a thermal issue so I'm replacing the paste with some nice thermal pads and adding a couple pads on some other warm spots to try and make better contact with the metal shield on the back.

7. DumpingDonuts

DumpingDonuts Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Maybe the USB-C port could be dirty/broken, or part of the dock is dirty/broken

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - outputting, randomly, Switch