Switch Online REMOVES OFFLINE FEATURES FROM SOME GAMES!

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by sprong, Sep 19, 2018.

1. sprong
    OP

sprong Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    so i didnt like pretty much anything related to nintendo's paid service before but now after discovering this i am absolutely livid. i went to play some doom just against some bots like i do on a regular basis ( an offline feature that before didnt require an internet connection) only to discover that upon selecting the multiplayer option in the game you are blocked from doing so without nintendos service. This seems CRIMINAL and should be brought to nintendos attention immediately. im not even so much pissed that i now have to PAY for an offline feature that i have been enjoying and was very much an included feature in a game that i already paid for. i am mostly angry that i can no longer play local multiplayer or solo cue against bots anymore without a goddam internet connection. i swear that i am not just bringing this up to complain, this is something that i spend alot of time doing during my downtime at college while on campus and now i cant do it anymore! >:( i havent noticed an issue like this in other games but i also havent really been looking so i assume that there are more examples of this utter bullshit. Please start sharing this issue so that it hopefully gets resolved.

2. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    Have you tried to contact them regarding the issue?

I understand your frustration but having a vent here of all places isnt going to achieve much! Any difference if you kill the wifi connection?

ZoneBlaze likes this.
  3. sprong
    OP

sprong Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    i tried disconnecting the wifi and it didnt help. also who do i contact? Nintendo or Bethesda? i highly doubt they would fix the issue just because i asked them to. the only way to get stuff like this fixed is to get people talking about it and i figured this was the best way to do it. this is actually a pretty huge issue, they had no right to do this.

4. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    You should probably try contacting Bethesda.

Hate to say it, but this would be because of Bethesda's/Panic Button's coding. Not Nintendo's.

The code obviously searches for online functions even if you're just playing bots. So that's defiantly in Bethesda's/Panic Button's court. So I would suggest contacting them.

ByteBite and jarbar3000 like this.
  5. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    Get on Twitter, that's way today's problems are fixed it seems. Keep @-ing them and try and get others with big follower counts to retweet your messages then you go down to Washington something something the system works.

aykay55 and IgiveUgas like this.
  6. tubebar

tubebar GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    It wouldn't be the firmware 6 update but the game's update (not really Nintendo per se). If you are running CFW (and if you are shouldn't be online at all) you could probably uninstall the game update and then edit the NAND to tell it that it never had the update installed and then you might be able to install the previous update instead. That's a bit of a "maybe" and over my head on exactly how you would do that but it is possible (though the previous update may still refuse to run on 6).

7. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
    Is there another way to do this on 6.0, now that devmenu (with its "Reset Required Version" ability) is no longer working?

8. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    As shitty and greedy as Nintendo is being with its NOS, I think this is just a bug.
    Patch incoming I guess...

9. tubebar

tubebar GBAtemp Regular

May 17, 2009
    United States
    Yea that's the problem w/ 6. Devmenu had that option but now we don't so have to do it manually. I have no idea where that old version log (or file) in the NAND is.

10. JamiePashley

JamiePashley Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2011
    United Kingdom
    England
  11. sprong
    OP

sprong Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    just an update on what i have tried. i have tried messaging panic button regarding the issue and they did see the message but chose to ignore me at least for the time being. i posted a thread just now on bethesda's nintendo switch support form and am still waiting for some form of feedback. and also out of desperation i e-mailed Reviewtechusa to see if Rich would pick up the story, i doubt that it will even be read but i figured it was worth a shot. to respond to all the people assuming that i have a hacked switch, i do not. i would like to but i am still waiting to see how everything pans out in the modding community before i jeopardize my console/account in any way.

FierceDeityLinkMask likes this.
  12. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    it seems you can't use bots in the ps4 version either

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/819505-doom/74689339

that seems like an old post with no fix as of yet so i wouldn't hold my breath

and this one is 2 years old. so yeap, they won't fix this.

https://bethesda.net/community/topic/22963/we-need-bots-offline

edit:

and this pretty much seals it

"bots require online. Since MP server runs in the cloud, that's to be expected. Other advantages running bots server-side: 1. uses less CPU on the client, 2. Bot code can be updated independently of the client."

Last edited by nando, Sep 20, 2018
    Xzi likes this.
  13. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    poor planning on the dev's part (play bots offline? but isn't everyone online? just make it online even if solo! that's the ticket!)

14. sprong
    OP

sprong Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2007
    United States
    What?!? is there anybody else who can confirm that before the patch you couldnt do offline practice mode? im certain that you could at least in the switch version.

15. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    Bethesda and ninty are rubbing both they're nipples right now asking if you would like online service's. Comcast cable south park skit artwork here.

BL4Z3D247 and Pluupy like this.
  16. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Fan

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    To solve this I have tested this basically the day DOOM for Switch came out:

To play "Practice Mode" requires you to be online. Again, this was way before the paid service and has always been there since the launch of DOOM.
    Pressing "Multiplayer" connects to the internet. And THEN you press Practice. Not the other way around. This is not Nintendo's decision but Bethesda's and it was a very bad one at that. Meaning if you are not home and connected to the internet, then not only will you be restricted from playing multiplayer (Even if it's just locally. -_-) but also restricted from the bots and "Practice Mode" since that requires online.
    Nintendo just made it that you pay for online features. If a COMPLETELY SINGLEPLAYER GAME decided to have a wall you need to pass which is connecting to the internet, this does NOT mean it's an offline game since it is single player. It is still online since it requires to connect to the internet at least once and this is before the game even turns on. Nintendo just made it not auto-connect unless you pay. Single-player game or not.
    99% chance Bethesda will never update their game and put practice mode NEXT to Multiplayer, not within.

ZoneBlaze likes this.
  17. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    Document and word this clearly, then make some reddit threads. Crosspost in related subreddits.
    If it picks up steam, someone will notice.