Hardware Switch not turning. Replace USB C

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hi. Any help please. Brought a Switch that had bent pins in the usb-c. Replaced the port and still will not turn on. The M92t36 chip gets warm. The BQ24193 chip is quite hot. Console will not turn on. Tried and battery with charge and won't power on either.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Test to make sure you have voltage on the fuse above the usb port, test both sides referenced to ground.

check you have a voltage on pin 9 of M92T36 and check the 3v3 rail for a short to ground, the cap connected to pin 6 of M92T36 is on the 3v3 rail so test that.

Last edited by Pintglass,
Reactions: FXDX

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Thank You so much for the info. Which do you mean on the M92t36 ?. Could it be the hidden pins on USB-C port aren't connected properly ?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Voltage to the fuse 2.26v and same the other side using original nintendo charger

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191115-172253_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191115-172253_Gallery.jpg
    744.3 KB · Views: 221

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean to test pin 6 of M92T36 for a short to ground or test the cap that’s on that rail
If your unsure which cap test all 3 around pins 4-9, set multimeter to continuity mode and if it beeps on both sides of a capacitor you probably have a short to ground somewhere, possible the pi3usb ic on the other side of the board could be at fault.
None of this explains why you only have 2.6v on vbus though post an image of where your getting this from

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Ok thanks will check it out tomorrow. Was thinking it might be pi3usb. 2.26v was on the use near usb port. Can't work out why

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Only 1 shorting out is the 1 circled. I take it that is pin#6. So would this mean the PI3usb needs replacing. Or could it be the new usb-c shorting it out.
Thanks for you help

Getting 2.45v on the fuse

Attachments

• 20191116_101827.jpg
    20191116_101827.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 240

Pintglass

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Only 1 shorting out is the 1 circled. I take it that is pin#6. So would this mean the PI3usb needs replacing. Or could it be the new usb-c shorting it out.
Thanks for you help

It doesn't automatically mean that the pi3usb ic is faulty, but a lot of the time when the usb-c connector has suffered damage the pi3usb ic tends to fail because the majority of the usb-c data lines are connected to the pi3usb ic.

Have you removed the mainboard from the housing if not you will need to do so, then test all the common mode chokes just below the pi3usb for continuity as this is another indication that one of the datalines has been subjected to vbus voltage if one of the chokes has failed open.

A badly soldered usb-c connector will not be the cause of the short to ground on the 3v3 rail, but you could check that you don't have continuity from any of the data lines ie TX RX and sbu to vbus.

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I took the USB-C port off to see if that solved the short. The port was soldered correctly. The short on the cap still remains. I have removed the motherboard. I have fixed heaps of PS4s so it basically the same as the HDMI ports on them. I will check the chokes (filters) for any earths and if there's none I presume the the pi3usb will need replace.
Thanks again mate for your help

Chokes all have continuatey. So must be chip

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Removed PI3USB and short has gone. So must be faulty chip. Ordered one and hopefully will fix the problem. Thank you PintGlass

BoomerTuesdays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Glad to hear! Going to go over a few I bought with my multimeter when it arrives and then see if that is all I need to do. I think it's funny I see this exact issue posted many places and the threads always say it is either a software issue or the dock/cables/tv being used, when it's very easy to prove it's none of those.

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Charging problem is usually the mt92t36 chip but if charging and not turning on its the pi3usb usually

If there's a short then remove the chip and if the short is gone then that's your problem

BoomerTuesdays

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 4 that all function perfectly fine when using it portable, charge fine with dock and with just charger, but putting it on a dock it has no output to TV. In portable mode if you look at the TV settings it's only options are automatic and 480p. Thanks for your info hopefully can get these working 100% soon.

Deant

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yes and there also 1 on the oposite side near the fuse. It might be the problem as it supplies data. Check for continuity

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr