Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

vicstar19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone , I’m trying to dump my cartridge game for nxtdumptool (mk8). I download as XCi, but when I go to goldleaf, I can install it. It only says view hex. Any fix?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just had a look at that and will do it, at the very bottom it has to be a typo right? It says if you plan to use atmosphere on sysnand for online play!

It also talks about setting up DNS for sysnand but for a clean sysnand used only for stock firmware, you leave the DNS alone Dont you?
Good eye! Atmosphere alone, without installing piracy (no NSPs or XCIs), even with non-cheating homebrew, does NOT trigger the ban hammer. There are many prominent people in the scene that go Online with Atmosphere daily without any negative impact. Atmosphere is not piracy. That’s what Atmosphere was designed for. So yeah…not a typo.

Now back to our regular, but simple mantra here on Noobs (because it’s less confusing…)

• Do all your dirty stuff on Emunand
  • 100% clean Sysnand for Online

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait what do you mean? There is a romset of it online and you can just pull the simpson arcade game right from it. Or are you talking about something else. What does a torrent do

I rarely sin, but when I do, I make it count and do it x 100!
There’s a tor online with everything in a bundle.
Grabbing the entire pack…for science.

Hello everyone , I’m trying to dump my cartridge game for nxtdumptool (mk8). I download as XCi, but when I go to goldleaf, I can install it. It only says view hex. Any fix?

Is that a large (>4G) dump? Is so (and if you are on FAT32 like you are supposed to be) it would have been split into .00, .01, .02, etc. if that’s the case you will need to go in and set the archive bit on the containing folder using Windows.

Check this out

e:
…although, NXDumptool is supposed to handle this automatically…
https://github.com/DarkMatterCore/nxdumptool
  • File splitting support for all operations.
    • Capable of storing split XCI/NSP dumps in directories with the archive bit set.

Please post a screen shot of the location of your dump.

Last edited by binkinator,

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Greetings all, so I was away from my switch for almost 2 years now, I was using sxos and never used atmosphere, so now I'm thinking to delete everything and start over with atmosphere.
So can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on what I need to install? What's a must have homebrews available now? I heard tinfoil not working anymore, any alternative?
Thank you.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings all, so I was away from my switch for almost 2 years now, I was using sxos and never used atmosphere, so now I'm thinking to delete everything and start over with atmosphere.
no need. You can migrate directly using this: https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

Specifically check out these chapters (in this order)

(turn off wifi until done to avoid accidental ban)
https://rentry.org/mys8q
https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM
https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade
So can anyone direct me to a good tutorial on what I need to install? What's a must have homebrews available now?
Click my sig to go to my blog…there are two pages. Second page is WIP of all the homebrew I use on my Switch.
I heard tinfoil not working anymore, any alternative?
Nothing wrong with Tinfoil. Many shops are down but some are open and tits is cheap.

Here are the installers I use:

Tinfoil Love it or hate it this is @blawar ’s tinfoil installer…be sure to check out his companion app, nut.exe
Tinfoil Setup@l7777 ’s rendition of a tinfoil/nut.exe setup.
DBIThe English instructions for @duckbill007 ’s simple but surprisingly powerful installer.
Tinwoo @mrdude ‘s straightforward installer that does what it says on the tin every time.
Goldleaf — Try this solid installer by @XorTroll

Thank you.
You bet. Good luck!

Lazyboss

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
no need. You can migrate directly using this: https://rentry.org/SwitchHackingIsEasy

Specifically check out these chapters (in this order)

(turn off wifi until done to avoid accidental ban)
https://rentry.org/mys8q
https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM
https://rentry.org/UpgradeDowngrade

Click my sig to go to my blog…there are two pages. Second page is WIP of all the homebrew I use on my Switch.

Nothing wrong with Tinfoil. Many shops are down but some are open and tits is cheap.

Here are the installers I use:

Tinfoil Love it or hate it this is @blawar ’s tinfoil installer…be sure to check out his companion app, nut.exe
Tinfoil Setup@l7777 ’s rendition of a tinfoil/nut.exe setup.
DBIThe English instructions for @duckbill007 ’s simple but surprisingly powerful installer.
Tinwoo @mrdude ‘s straightforward installer that does what it says on the tin every time.
Goldleaf — Try this solid installer by @XorTroll

You bet. Good luck!
Thank you so much, this is so helpful and I will try those setups tonight.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m trying to download a MAME game on retroarch but it’s not coming up on downloads. I have every Arcade core , Mame and FBA on Retroarch. I’m trying to play the Simpsons Arcade game. My files are Retroarch->Download—> Game folder—> simpsos2pa

When I go to the simpsompa it tells me there no items. I have a DS title that runs fine but it has a more official name such as “3055 - Chrono Trigger (U) (XenoPhobia)” Maybe the file name has to be different ?
1 fichier came through! Huge 35G file.
Nothing but good to report about Arcade machines (“MAME”) Emulator Switch NSP
everything just drops right in and I have over 4000 new things to check out now.
Let’s just say I’m going to have a nostalgia filled week!

I’m updating cores and assets to make sure I’m on latest and greatest and then I will attempt to play 3055 - Chrono Trigger (U) (XenoPhobia)
Update to come shortly…

Reactions: impeeza

vicstar19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1 fichier came through! Huge 35G file.
Nothing but good to report about Arcade machines (“MAME”) Emulator Switch NSP
everything just drops right in and I have over 4000 new things to check out now.
Let’s just say I’m going to have a nostalgia filled week!

I’m updating cores and assets to make sure I’m on latest and greatest and then I will attempt to play 3055 - Chrono Trigger (U) (XenoPhobia)
Update to come shortly…
Ok please let me know if you get simpson game to work thank you!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok please let me know if you get simpson game to work thank you!
Does this look right?

image.jpg

If so, it dropped right in with the rest of the pack. Using MAME 2003-Plus core btw.

Jack06WS

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, We’ve got two modded consoles in my family and are wanting to play wirelessly together. A LAN network has been setup which blocks outside internet using the firewall to prevent any bans.

In the unlikely case that this fails, are there any Homebrew apps which block Nintendo Servers? I’d like an extra barrier of protection on these consoles. Also, does Atmosphere have any DNS blocks built into it?

Thanks! :)

Reactions: 877

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, We’ve got two modded consoles in my family and are wanting to play wirelessly together. A LAN network has been setup which blocks outside internet using the firewall to prevent any bans.

In the unlikely case that this fails, are there any Homebrew apps which block Nintendo Servers? I’d like an extra barrier of protection on these consoles. Also, does Atmosphere have any DNS blocks built into it?

Thanks! :)
Yes, latest Atmosphere has everything you need built in.. Here is step by step: https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

90DNSTester -- DNS tester to make sure Ninty can't find you while playing hide-n-seek!

• Love
Reactions: 877

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes that looks good. Your file directory is retorarch—> Downlods—> and then what? Is it simpson2pa? I’ll try to get a picture of my files and what’s inside that
I’ll take a look in a bit but you might want to consider finding the all in one package I referenced. I didn’t have to reconfigure anything and I’m just playing things right out of the box. Literally download, unzip, done. 4000+ games.

e: here’s what I see…

image.jpg

image.jpg

so it’s /retroarch/roms/mame2k3plus/roms/simps2pa.zip

e2: something of note, the .nsp forwarder that comes with the pack is old. Don’t install it. Install the one from this thread instead https://gbatemp.net/threads/nsp-forwarder-tool-for-12.587936/ <-confirmed working on FW 14.1.1/Atmos 1.3.2

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Hi...
I've been reading posts and posts about DNS stuff and blocking Nintendo servers etc... I'm no network expert not even close. In fact, I have real issues with networking, but I feel that people have been using terminologies quite wrongly and I get even more confused about it all.

DNS is not meant to block anything, as far as I understand. DNS is just a service running on OSes to resolve an internet human readable address like www.nintendo.com, into an IP address used in packets. Then, the way I know to block internet sites, is in a file called hosts, at least in linux based OSes. Of course there are other ways such as firewall rules and etc, but the most common way is using this hosts file.
So, I get confused (but still have been accepting it) that people say to use this or that DNS setup to avoid connecting to Nintendo servers.

For instance, in our home networks, we set our preferred DNSes just as an extra step to hide a bit more of information from our ISPs. Meaning that we are not using our ISP DNSs to resolve the addresses we want to visit out in the internet. I mean, we don't setup our preferred DNSs to block any sites!

So, if anyone can explain me this and tell me where am I wrong, I would appreciate! :)

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi...
I've been reading posts and posts about DNS stuff and blocking Nintendo servers etc... I'm no network expert not even close. In fact, I have real issues with networking, but I feel that people have been using terminologies quite wrongly and I get even more confused about it all.

DNS is not meant to block anything, as far as I understand. DNS is just a service running on OSes to resolve an internet human readable address like www.nintendo.com, into an IP address used in packets. Then, the way I know to block internet sites, is in a file called hosts, at least in linux based OSes. Of course there are other ways such as firewall rules and etc, but the most common way is using this hosts file.
So, I get confused (but still have been accepting it) that people say to use this or that DNS setup to avoid connecting to Nintendo servers.

For instance, in our home networks, we set our preferred DNSes just as an extra step to hide a bit more of information from our ISPs. Meaning that we are not using our ISP DNSs to resolve the addresses we want to visit out in the internet. I mean, we don't setup our preferred DNSs to block any sites!

So, if anyone can explain me this and tell me where am I wrong, I would appreciate! :)

I wrote a whole spiel but I think it can be answered more succinctly.

90DNS is doing friendly DNS Poisoning. Plain and simple.

They are claiming to be authoritative for *.nintendo.com and telling your Switch that it can believe them when they say the IP address for banhammer.nintendo.com is 127.0.0.1 (the ”home” ip adress of your network card). Other DNS servers would refer your Switch to the real authoritative servers and get you the real IP address and send you right to your doom. 90DNS works as long as your Switch is pointed to their “poisoned” servers.
When you set up a new network connection you are initially using the default DNS servers that do NOT lie to your Switch so that’s the danger…a properly configured DNS server that doesn’t lie.

DNS:mitm is similar except that it answers as the authority before the query is even made by referring to .txt files in /atmosphere/hosts/. This is why you can use Google DNS or your own ISP without fear because the queries never leave your box.
If for whatever reason the dns:mitm service glitches or your files are misconfigured it could result in your queries getting to your real DNS server and thus getting the real IP.

Reactions: HelloShitty

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I think I understood most of it. Still, I think we are talking about redirecting/resolving host names to IP addresses and not blocking access to Nintendo servers, which is made inside hosts file.

But I take the explanation to throw a couple other questions:
They are claiming

Who is claiming? 90DNS settings?

About the DNS stuff, I'm not sure what is happening.
Like, when we set some DNS in our laptop/router/whatever, we are saying to our network to use those IP addresses as our DNSs.
So, when we set Primary DNS to 1.1.1.1 and Secondary DNS to 1.0.0.1 (Cloudfare DNSs), we are forcing our network to use those IP addresses to resolve the hostname that our device is trying to reach, right?

Now, what I'm not sure I understand, when I try to establish a relationship between friendly DNS poisoning and blocking sites, is how our console is prevented from reaching Nintendo servers with settings like:

uci batch <<'EOF' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendo.com/0.0.0.0' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendo.net/0.0.0.0' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendo.jp/0.0.0.0' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendo.co.jp/0.0.0.0' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendo.co.uk/0.0.0.0' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendo-europe.com/0.0.0.0' add_list dhcp.@dnsmasq[-1].address='/.nintendowifi.net/0.0.0.0' ...
Source: https://gitlab.com/a/90dns/-/tree/master/OpenWrt

So, I don't understand what are these settings doing when a DNS server is only supposed to resolve address names and/or (legitimately or not) redirect our devices to different sites other than the legit ones (the poisoning thing).

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, latest Atmosphere has everything you need built in.. Here is step by step: https://rentry.org/ExosphereDNSMITM

90DNSTester -- DNS tester to make sure Ninty can't find you while playing hide-n-seek!
Thanks binkinator this is useful for me too :)

Can I ask what is `exosphere.ini` used for, it's not clear to me..

Also can I check I should use `/atmosphere/hosts/default.txt` as although I am using emuMMC I am not going to be going online with my sysNAND?

Thanks!

Infinity147

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just want to check a couple of thing be for I go all out CFW 😀

1) I have a switch that is in the probably patched category, will using a rcm jig if it is patched do anything to the switch?

My other switch is unpatched and I’m going to setup an offline emunand on my sd card and use the sysnand to go online and access the eshop.

2) Do I need to remove my sd card containing the emunand before I boot into OFW?

3) Can someone explain to me about fuses?

4) I want to update my patched switch‘s official firmware. I assume I just boot into OFW and use system update.

5) HeKate allows you also to boot into OFW, why would you use this.

6) Can you do system update without linking your user name?

Thanks guys

FortalezaG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just want to check a couple of thing be for I go all out CFW 😀

1) I have a switch that is in the probably patched category, will using a rcm jig if it is patched do anything to the switch?

My other switch is unpatched and I’m going to setup an offline emunand on my sd card and use the sysnand to go online and access the eshop.

2) Do I need to remove my sd card containing the emunand before I boot into OFW?

3) Can someone explain to me about fuses?

4) I want to update my patched switch‘s official firmware. I assume I just boot into OFW and use system update.

5) HeKate allows you also to boot into OFW, why would you use this.

6) Can you do system update without linking your user name?

Thanks guys
1) Do not do this. It will brick your patched console.

• Angry
Reactions: binkinator

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: What the heck is that emote SylverReZ using?