Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Feringa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi, I've got some super noob questions, there is too much information everywhere:
- what are the differences between sx pro, reinx and atmosphere?
- After the hack, can you restore your switch to factory settings and get back online?

I'm getting a little bit overwhelmed with terms like emunand, sysnand, (ex)fat32, burning fuses, etc.
Is there a tutorial which explains how to a backup your nintendo 'factory' files, install the hacktools and how to install the roms?

My switch is on 6.2, I've checked the serial number and I would like to install backup games and emulators.

Last edited by Feringa,

NFates

Wants to understand™
Trophies
XP
Country
Dominican Republic
Plan on soon getting a Switch, and naturally I have lots of questions, but hopefully all are easy to answer.

1- Should I simply not configure Wi-Fi at all or use 90DNS? Don't care about being banned, but if staying clean is possible...

2- Forums say Atmosphere is the best option. I would then follow guide.sdsetup.com. Anything I should do that is not included on that guide?

3- How big of an SD card is recommended?

4- How would using two SD cards work? The ReiNX guide mentions it. Wouldn't apps like Checkpoint be impossible to use?

5- You can bypass the FAT32 4GB limit by installing via USB. How do you do that?

6- What's the average game size?

7- To charge the battery with AutoRCM, you have to turn off the console completely. The ways to do so are a manual shutdown and through Hekate. But how do I know if I haven't turned it off completely / if it isn't properly charging?

8- Should I care about burning fuses? Deja Vu might get released soon(ish) because of the recent leak, so downgrading to 4.1.0 would be important, right? And would Deja Vu work like MSET on 3DS?

9- I imagine not, because AutoRCM allows you to downgrade to whatever version you want, but should I look for a specific firmware when buying the console?

10- Is waiting for Deja Vu an option if I can't find an unpatched serial? Or would installing that need RCM?

11- Can you install a game to the internal memory? In a NAND backup, would that game be included?

12- Any *hints* on where to download those sweet .nsp files? I only know BlackParaguas* and SoftwareSnake.

Every tip, extra info or recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*Paraguas = Umbrella (from Spanish)

Last edited by NFates,

grcd

Trophies
XP
Country
So, I just bought a Switch which appears to be one of the first batches that were patched (Mario Kart 8 bundle, UK). It is currently on 4.0 or 4.1 and I have effectively not used it yet or connected it to the internet. I would like to ask the community if there is any hope for my device and if I should hold on and not use it. Or are patched devices a lost cause for homebrew with 6.2 and beyond?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, Im using SX PRO and linked my Nintendo account with my switch. Now I want to give that switch to someone else. He also wants to use SX PRO. What’s the best way to do this? Just remove the account or use the switch formatting option?
Yeah that's the only to remove the account according to their website.
I want to restore a clean NAND-backup to play online again and hopefully don't get banned. But my question is:
Can I anyhow restore my saves for my legit games in a way that won't get me banned? From my 6.2 CFW NAND to my 4.1 NAND-backup?
I mean you would need a hack to preserve your saves so your in a Catch 22 situation. Can't preserve them without risking a ban.
hi, wanted to throw some quick questions, I am trying to fix this switch that seems bricked by being stuck in the loading logo without charging, I recharged the battery with other switch and tried to get into recovery mode... didn't work, I couldn't get into rcm mode neither... enough to say that I had to trigger the rcm mode by unpluging the emmc memory... then I inject hetake but.. really haven't been able to do much from there, it just keeps on spiting "failing to initialize sd card"... anyhow, now that I did all this ordeal, at least I know most of the switch hardware is okay... now the nand... the problem is that I don't really have a backup of the system since, I never intended to use it for homebrew.. so now I kinda just want to restore it to factory default... is there any payload that can "automatically" fix the system in these "boot loops" cases?... maybe just a way to directly factory reset, or a way reboot into maintenance mode to restore the system from there? (cannot boot into it with the button combos).. any help is appreciated.
There is ChoiDujour and gprestore from https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/ that you can try.
Hi, is the modchips hack also limited to the specific serial number?
Yes
Hi, I've got some super noob questions, there is too much information everywhere:
- what are the differences between sx pro, reinx and atmosphere?
- After the hack, can you restore your switch to factory settings and get back online?

My switch is on 6.2, I've checked the serial number and I would like to install backup games and emulators.
ReiNX and Atmosphere are pretty similar but Atmosphere does offer more features than ReiNX such as protection against AutoRCM when updating online (useful for preventing fuses from being burnt), faster boot times, and the ability to wake from sleep mode if you downgraded to a firmware that has a lower expected fuse count than the number of fuses currently burnt. SX Pro which is just SX OS in a dongle has EmuNAND support, .XCI loading (but you can install/convert .XCIs with other CFW), their own cheat engine (however there is sys-net cheat for free CFW), and HDD support (while not the same, you can install .NSP files via USB with non-SX OS CFWs). The real advantage of free CFW over SX OS is the customization of the CFW, more specifically with kips. There is a program called Switch Lan Play which converts LAN games to be able to play online. However it was initially limited to games that naturally supported LAN. Now there is a kip that converts games that only supported local wireless to LAN.

As for your second question, you can only do that with a clean hack-free NAND dump.

Plan on soon getting a Switch, and naturally I have lots of questions, but hopefully all are easy to answer.

1- Should I simply not configure Wi-Fi at all or use 90DNS? Don't care about being banned, but if staying clean is possible...

2- Forums say Atmosphere is the best option. I would then follow guide.sdsetup.com. Anything I should do that is not included on that guide?

3- How big of an SD card is recommended?

4- How would using two SD cards work? The ReiNX guide mentions it. Wouldn't apps like Checkpoint be impossible to use?

5- You can bypass the FAT32 4GB limit by installing via USB. How do you do that?

6- What's the average game size?

7- To charge the battery with AutoRCM, you have to turn off the console completely. The ways to do so are a manual shutdown and through Hekate. But how do I know if I haven't turned it off completely / if it isn't properly charging?

8- Should I care about burning fuses? Deja Vu might get released soon(ish) because of the recent leak, so downgrading to 4.1.0 would be important, right? And would Deja Vu work like MSET on 3DS?

9- I imagine not, because AutoRCM allows you to downgrade to whatever version you want, but should I look for a specific firmware when buying the console?

10- Is waiting for Deja Vu an option if I can't find an unpatched serial? Or would installing that need RCM?

11- Can you install a game to the internal memory? In a NAND backup, would that game be included?

12- Any *hints* on where to download those sweet .nsp files? I only know BlackParaguas* and SoftwareSnake.

Every tip, extra info or recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

*Paraguas = Umbrella (from Spanish)
  1. Unless you want to use FTP, which is pretty slow, or utilize Switch LAN Play, you don't need Wi-Fi settings. Otherwise, 90DNS is your best way to stay offline while being online
  2. That is currently the best guide out there
  3. What is more important is ensuring the SD card is not fake as those have been running rampant in the scene. Although its nearly impossible to distinguish between a real and fake SD card before purchase, a good rule of thumb is that if its too good to be true, it usually is
  4. CFW is just a bunch of files on the SD card. For every SD card you use, if you are planning to use CFW with them, put the respective files on that SD card
  5. USB installation of .NSP files and splitting of .XCI files. You can split and network install .NSP files as well, but USB install is the recommended way to go as its the fastest option even compared to regular installation
  6. Some games are less than 1 GB and others are larger than 20
  7. What I do is I have my Switch plugged in when I turn it off to check if I turned it off properly. If it no longer shows up as an APX device, I knew I was successful
  8. Firmwares are temporary but fuses are forever; there is nothing wrong with more options. Deja Vu may not be the only exploit for lower firmwares. Plus its relatively easy to update without burning fuses.
  9. Firmware is irrelevant in the Switch scene as the serial number will determine if the unit is patched or not since the exploit revolves around the hardware
  10. Unfortunately if you cannot find an unpatched unit, then Deja Vu becomes your only option. Although there should be plenty of unpatched units that are available as used online such as on eBay and Amazon
  11. Yes
  12. https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendo-switch-warez-others-on-gbatemp.513008/

So, I just bought a Switch which appears to be one of the first batches that were patched (Mario Kart 8 bundle, UK). It is currently on 4.0 or 4.1 and I have effectively not used it yet or connected it to the internet. I would like to ask the community if there is any hope for my device and if I should hold on and not use it. Or are patched devices a lost cause for homebrew with 6.2 and beyond?
There is a possibility that the warmboot exploit that works on firmwares 4.1 and below may be coming out soon but since it will initially be limited to homebrew, its still better to find an unpatched unit.

Reactions: NFates

Zap2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean you would need a hack to preserve your saves so your in a Catch 22 situation. Can't preserve them without risking a ban.
There is ChoiDujour and gprestore from https://switchtools.sshnuke.net/ that you can try.
Yes
ReiNX and Atmosphere are pretty similar but Atmosphere does offer more features than ReiNX such as protection against AutoRCM when updating online (useful for preventing fuses from being burnt), faster boot times, and the ability to wake from sleep mode if you downgraded to a firmware that has a lower expected fuse count than the number of fuses currently burnt. SX Pro which is just SX OS in a dongle has EmuNAND support, .XCI loading (but you can install/convert .XCIs with other CFW), their own cheat engine (however there is sys-net cheat for free CFW), and HDD support (while not the same, you can install .NSP files via USB with non-SX OS CFWs). The real advantage of free CFW over SX OS is the customization of the CFW, more specifically with kips. There is a program called Switch Lan Play which converts LAN games to be able to play online. However it was initially limited to games that naturally supported LAN. Now there is a kip that converts games that only supported local wireless to LAN.

As for your second question, you can only do that with a clean hack-free NAND dump.

1. Unless you want to use FTP, which is pretty slow, or utilize Switch LAN Play, you don't need Wi-Fi settings. Otherwise, 90DNS is your best way to stay offline while being online
  3. What is more important is ensuring the SD card is not fake as those have been running rampant in the scene. Although its nearly impossible to distinguish between a real and fake SD card before purchase, a good rule of thumb is that if its too good to be true, it usually is
  4. CFW is just a bunch of files on the SD card. For every SD card you use, if you are planning to use CFW with them, put the respective files on that SD card
  5. USB installation of .NSP files and splitting of .XCI files. You can split and network install .NSP files as well, but USB install is the recommended way to go as its the fastest option even compared to regular installation
  7. What I do is I have my Switch plugged in when I turn it off to check if I turned it off properly. If it no longer shows up as an APX device, I knew I was successful
  8. Firmwares are temporary but fuses are forever; there is nothing wrong with more options. Deja Vu may not be the only exploit for lower firmwares. Plus its relatively easy to update without burning fuses.
  9. Firmware is irrelevant in the Switch scene as the serial number will determine if the unit is patched or not since the exploit revolves around the hardware
  10. Unfortunately if you cannot find an unpatched unit, then Deja Vu becomes your only option. Although there should be plenty of unpatched units that are available as used online such as on eBay and Amazon
  11. Yes

There is a possibility that the warmboot exploit that works on firmwares 4.1 and below may be coming out soon but since it will initially be limited to homebrew, its still better to find an unpatched unit.

I’m stuck on the nand back up can u check u me on the tut thread? Do I need all them files on sd card if using sx pro? And do I remove them all after?

Zap2000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes

11. Yes

https://gbatemp.net/threads/backup-...-your-biskeys-tseckeys-keys-txt-guide.513386/

Last edited by Zap2000,

turtlejay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe a stupid question but im gunna ask it anyway.

In my searches and reading ive come across the mentioning of keys as a necessary evil to run backups via NSP format and perhaps xci? I have access to a bajillion xci files, the nsps have been more difficult for me. So my question is, do i have to go throught the labor of establishing these keys somewhere just to run the xci file in sx os? and if i decide to stay the free route ie atmosphere, do i need them for the nsp files? Ive already dumped using biskeydump and have the qr code saved away.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My switch is on the latest firmware , i just want to run homebrew and extract save files what are my options?
Firmware is irrelevant. Check to make sure that your serial number is not patched first. Then use any CFW and a save manager homebrew application such as Checkpoint or EdiZon.
@Draxzelex Thank you for your fast response!

How can I do this?
If you have already loaded CFW/homebrew, you won't be able to make one anymore.
Maybe a stupid question but im gunna ask it anyway.

In my searches and reading ive come across the mentioning of keys as a necessary evil to run backups via NSP format and perhaps xci? I have access to a bajillion xci files, the nsps have been more difficult for me. So my question is, do i have to go throught the labor of establishing these keys somewhere just to run the xci file in sx os? and if i decide to stay the free route ie atmosphere, do i need them for the nsp files? Ive already dumped using biskeydump and have the qr code saved away.
SX OS just loads .XCI files as if they were cartridges so no, it doesn't need keys. Other CFW need the keys as they don't natively support them. The keys dumped from biskeydump are not the keys used for converting/installing .XCI files; those are exclusively used for decrypting your NAND via hackdiskmount. The keys you're looking for are public console keys that can be dumped with tools like kezplez, lockpick, or HACGUI.

rnw10va

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I was trying to determine whether I should hack my switch on 6.2 with Reinx or Atmosphere. I wanted to go with Reinx solely because they have such a convenient guide website that should be updated soon, but if Atmosphere is better or will be a lot better in the future then maybe I should go with that? If so is there an official guide for Atmosphere or do I need to just watch youtube videos. Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr