1. vampier206

vampier206 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    ok i didnt explain that, the data the switch creates on the sd card for its games so in this example im looking for the folder which houses the all the extra data for xenoblade 2 so i can move it onto a different sd card. the path for the folder im mention is ( \nintendo\contents\registered\).

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    AutoRCM doesn't impact battery life in the slightest. The only thing it affects when it comes to charging is the charge rate in RCM; AutoRCM slows this down tremendously. But you should not be charging the console in RCM in the first place.

What people thought was draining the battery was the misconception that turning a console off with AutoRCM installed from Horizon actually turned it off. Any shutdowns from Horizon, whether through homebrew or the system itself, will always cause a console with AutoRCM installed to reboot into RCM which does drain the battery. RCM takes about 5% per hour. The solution is simple: simply turn off the console from RCM whether it be a manual shutdown (holding power for 12 seconds) or using the Power Off function in Hekate.
    Why not just move the whole Nintendo folder? As far as I know, nobody knows where the specific data is stored hence why its just recommended to move the entire folder at once.

NazoXIII likes this.
  3. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    But will it be safe to update the controller? Or will it stop working on lower firmware switches? I use them on more than one switch.

4. Woody601

Woody601 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok. How much space do NAND backups take? A lot of space I presume? And you honestly think I'll be fine if I do what you said every time? And it'd be impossible for Nintendo to detect what I'm doing for every time I do the hacks since I'd be loading back to the NAND I currently have? I don't know if I'll be banned, most likely not since I haven't done too much serious stuff. And at one point I connected to the internet with homebrew when it first came out and downloaded apps from the homebrew app store.

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Joy-Con firmware is separate from Switch firmware; the former is more for stability for the Joy-Cons themselves while the latter is stability for the system itself. The only issue with updating your Joy-Cons is if you modded it to enter RCM by bridging pins 9 & 10 together.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Boot0/boot1 are 4 MB each while eMMC raw GPP is 29.1 GB. Also Nintendo theoretically cannot detect a NAND dump made in Hekate because its loaded in RCM which takes place before the NAND meaning the NAND shouldn't have any idea the console was booted into RCM.

normal19 likes this.
  6. randomgbanoob123

randomgbanoob123 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Alright 2 stupid questions.

1 does tinfoil need games to have proper names? I have monster hunter but tinfoil isn't seeing it.

2 cam I take out the SD card while I am in reinx?

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    1. In the past, people had trouble installing .NSP files that had ridiculously long names as well as non-alphanumeric characters. Ever since then, I always named them something really simple and short. Never heard of them not being seen except when they're not put in the /tinfoil/nsp folder
    2. Removing the SD card while the console is on will cause the system to reboot as well as risk corruption

8. randomgbanoob123

randomgbanoob123 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Alright thank you, is there a way to soft reset or load hekate somehow ? Having to reinject a payload just to turn the console off is a little annoying.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  9. 0000ff

0000ff Spase Peepole

United States
    hold the power button for 15 seconds, it will shut off completely

10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You cannot "soft reset" Hekate since it is loaded temporarily and must be resent if you ever get out of the Hekate menu. Unless you were referring to turning off a console with AutoRCM installed which you can do by performing a manual shutdown (holding power for 12 seconds) while in RCM.

11. Woody601

Woody601 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, that makes sense. So basically I would need a lot of space to make a NAND backup, correct? I apologize, I thought the whole nand backing would be way less than what you said about the eMMC raw GPP. Correct?

12. ImSoHandsome

ImSoHandsome Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Hey guys, I just turned on my brand new nintendo switch. The system info shows 4.1.0 (XAW10077)
    I have a 126gb microsd card. I've read that updating for exfat support will also upgrade the system.
    Should I update the system to get exFAT Or stay at 4.1.0 and format microsd card to Fat32?

13. Woody601

Woody601 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Stay on 4.1.0, I would not recommend updating. I'm not an expert when it comes to exFat. I'm sorry if this wasn't what you were looking for, but yeah don't update.

ImSoHandsome likes this.
  14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    So the entire "NAND" is comprised of 4 different partitions: eMMC, Boot0, Boot1, and RPMB. Since RPMB is unused, a complete NAND backup is comprised of the eMMC, Boot0, and Boot1. eMMC is further subdivided into eMMC SYS and eMMC USER. 9/10 you won't be backing up eMMC SYS or USER individually so dumping eMMC raw GPP is good enough. Boot0 and Boot1 are both 4 MB each while eMMC raw GPP is 29.1 GB. And while you can dump the NAND in parts on an SD card smaller than the sum total size of the parts, to restore the entire NAND, you will need an SD card with at least 29.1 GB of free space and in exFAT no less. I should also mention that you don't need to keep more than one clean NAND backup at a time since you can't restore one more than once.
    I recommend formatting your SD card to FAT32. Since it is larger than 32 GB, you will need to format it with a third-party formatter since Windows will format it to exFAT regardless. I recommend formatting with GUIFormat. Afterwards, if you wish to use exFAT, you can use the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX to give you exFAT support on any firmware, except 1.0.

ImSoHandsome likes this.
  15. thedude28

thedude28 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I'm really confused on what can currently be done to the Switch.

1. If you're done hacking the switch, you basically can't update it until something like Emunand comes out from the scene, right?
    2. Can you play games that require a higher firmware with a hacked switch?
    3. I'm also assuming you can't be online at all either once you finish hacking it.

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    1. You can update the firmware either online but risk a ban or offline via the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX
    2. Not without updating the firmware; there is no and likely will never be firmware spoofing for the Switch
    3. You can but you risk a ban by doing so. Some people have while others were not so lucky. Bans are pretty much random what with no link between those who were banned and those were not.

17. elridge

elridge Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    So, i think its time for me to update to 5.X.
    Any idea which is the smallest XCI game where i can find this update?

18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Or you can just grab the 5.X firmware files from xbins' via their FTP client. OR if you don't mind disabling your antivirus, you can download autoxbins which automatically connects you to their FTP client for you to download their files including the Switch firmware files.

Wanap and elridge like this.
  19. elridge

elridge Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Argentina
    Oh, great! Thanks a lot!

20. Woody601

Woody601 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ok, that kind of makes sense. I have plenty of space on my microsd card, but I also use lakka, so would it work if I keep it FAT32? Or will it break the nand backup? Also, it doesn't make sense when you said "don't need to keep more than one clean NAND backup at a time since you can't restore one more than once", but in a previous comment, you said that I would need to make a nand backup every time before I would load up cfw, then make a nand backup of the cfw, but since i have like 50 gb left on my microsd, wouldn't i not need to make multiple nand backups of my cfw, correct? Also, I don't have a 100% clean nand btw, lol. But I don't think nintendo will ban me since i haven't installed nsps, or do anything way too over the board, if you get my drift at that. let me know dude. Thanks for the input!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - questions, PARADISE, SWITCH