Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I've been out of the loop for a while. I bought a second Switch about 2-3 months ago, but everything seemed pretty unstable and SX Pro/Atmosphere wasn't released quite yet and there was still no option for coldboot.

I see a lot of people are using SX Pro now, and it seems that Atmosphere still hasn't released. Are there any other big CFWs to keep an eye on? I'm probably going to buy an SX Pro. It seems very convenient and user friendly as far as loading payloads and running homebrew. You can load other payloads with their tool, right?

What I'm mainly looking to do with my Switch is turn it into an emulation machine. I've read a little bit about RetroNX and that seems like the ultimate option right now, is that correct?

What all "mainstream American market" systems can be emulated right now? Can we emulate PS2, GameCube, Xbox yet?

What're all the must have Homebrew apps out there right now?

How close are we to a coldboot method? The firmware on my extra switch is 4.1.0.

Are there any big negatives to jumping into the mod scene right now? Are there any good reasons to wait any longer?
I'm for sure going to mod my extra Switch by Late October/November. I'll be going on a jobsite for work and imagine I will be gone for quite a while, so I want to have it ready by then.

I think those are all the questions I have. From the little I've read, it seems like the SX Pro/RetroNX combo is the best choice for me at the moment.

Thanks!
  • ReiNX is currently the other big name CFW to be following as it can play backups (only in .NSP format)
  • I don't follow the emulation scene too closely but I don't think we've fully achieved the ones you listed. I think the GameCube has the most progress done
  • NXShell for file management, EdiZon for save management, Tinfoil for .NSP installation, etc.
  • Coldboot is only theoretically possible up to 3.0.1 but hasn't been achieved yet. Warmboot is still possible up to 4.1 but will not be released until at least those Mariko units are shipped out
  • The sooner you start following the scene, the easier it becomes to keep track of it. Unfortunately, nothing is noob-proof at the moment so it requires a lot of user interaction to get things working. Unless you know what you are doing, it is easy to get lost right now

What ties a NAND dump to a specific console?
I believe that part would be prodinfo.

Reactions: GBCTEMP

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So I am wondering: The driver that TegraRcmSmash needs in order to communicate with the Switch, installs to the PC and not the Switch itself, right?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but TegraRcmSmash does warn you that the Switch must be connected before you install the drivers, so I am curious. I have already installed TegraRcmSmash on my laptop, but want to install it to my desktop aswell, So I need to know if I need to do the exact same thing for my Dekstop.

Last edited by XaneTenshi, , Reason: Great....Copied the question from another thread and it didn't copy everything....Why the hell am I STILL using IE anyway...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I am wondering: The driver that TegraRcmSmash needs in order to communicate with the Switch, installs to the PC and not the Switch itself, right?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but TegraRcmSmash does warn you that the Switch must be connected before
It installs the drivers into your computer. The Switch comes pre-packaged with support for everything it needs (except for exFAT).

Reactions: XaneTenshi

XaneTenshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
It installs the drivers into your computer. The Switch comes pre-packaged with support for everything it needs (except for exFAT).

I edited my post as it seems part of the question didn't get copied, but you gave the answer I needed anyway. Thanks man, you're a lifesaver:)

Yeabuddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe i'm missing something, but what's the point of worrying about getting banned if you can just download/play games and download/install system updates manually anyway?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe i'm missing something, but what's the point of worrying about getting banned if you can just download/play games and download/install system updates manually anyway?
Normal bans let you update your games and console but if you abuse CDN downloading after that point with something like Freeshop or eXhop, then you might get hit with the superban that prevents you from downloading updates along with eShop content.

Yeabuddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Normal bans let you update your games and console but if you abuse CDN downloading after that point with something like Freeshop or eXhop, then you might get hit with the superban that prevents you from downloading updates along with eShop content.

Yea but wouldn't the updates and eShop content be available from some other source on the internet anyway?

Yeabuddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But who's to say that source will always be available?

Where do you think those sources come from? They'll only be available as long as Nintendo doesn't ban the certs people use to CDN download them in the first place.

These are good concerns. I'm thinking long-term though. I don't really see myself having an issue finding these sources once this scene matures. I'm more just thinking what is permanently lost after bans. I'm guessing so far it's just the ability to play online games.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These are good concerns. I'm thinking long-term though. I don't really see myself having an issue finding these sources once this scene matures. I'm more just thinking what is permanently lost after bans. I'm guessing so far it's just the ability to play online games.
Also keep in mind that there are now a finite number of currently hackable Switches. We don't have any exploits for the new Switch units meaning all 18 million units or so are our only hope. And while that's a huge number, the hacking scene is usually a fraction of that and eventually people won't be able to a buy a new Switch to dump its cert to use to download more updates. Of course, this is worst-case scenario but as you said, the scene is still maturing.

Yeabuddy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright then. I'll of course still try not to get banned.

Question on the DNS changes mentioned in this guide: https://switch.hacks.guide/blocking-updates

I have a few concerns about this. Who owns this DNS server? I'm not entirely comfortable assigning my DNS to just anyone. Also isn't it risky to have a centralized DNS address that Nintendo could check for on Switches? I doubt they would go that far (as it kind of sounds illegal, IANAL tho), but it sounds possible.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are boot0 and boot1 files, are they unique to a specific Switch?
They are not.
question about fusée geleé, so if my switch is vulnerable to this does this mean that cold boot is possible in the future?
Coldboot is already possible if you have a jig and USB cable

Reactions: GBCTEMP

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't coldboot just hitting the power button and being in CFW without the use of anything extra?
Coldboot refers to exploits launched before the console (Horzion) is on. In this case, RCM counts because we are not hacking RCM but we can use RCM to hack Horizon. Warmboot would be hacks that take place while the console is on or in Horizon in this case.

GBCTEMP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Coldboot refers to exploits launched before the console (Horzion) is on. In this case, RCM counts because we are not hacking RCM but we can use RCM to hack Horizon. Warmboot would be hacks that take place while the console is on or in Horizon in this case.
I understand that but wouldn't that mean SX Pro is coldboot?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo