Hacking Switch NAND layout ...

Escape1975

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know what the layout of SYSTEM and USER partitions are?
Specifically what cluster size the FAT32 system uses on both partitions ...

Escape1975

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From boot sector (SYSTEM & USER) :
512 bytes per sector
32 reserved sectors
32 sectors per cluster (cluster size: 16 KB)
Number of FAT : 2

Excellent, thanks for the info ...

While looking at USER partition and using HacDiskMount I've noticed that when you re-format it from windows the FAT32 filesystem changes a little bit, and it's no longer considered a FAT32 (BitLocker) because windows adds a boot sector to it ...

Wondering if someone has a USER.BIN backup that they could point me towards so I can examine
the differences and how to handle editing USER and SYSTEM partitions without altering them too much ...

eliboa

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Excellent, thanks for the info ...

While looking at USER partition and using HacDiskMount I've noticed that when you re-format it from windows the FAT32 filesystem changes a little bit, and it's no longer considered a FAT32 (BitLocker) because windows adds a boot sector to it ...

Wondering if someone has a USER.BIN backup that they could point me towards so I can examine
the differences and how to handle editing USER and SYSTEM partitions without altering them too much ...
There's always a boot sector in reserved sectors, that's how FAT works. You should try NxNandManager to re-format USER, it'll recreate boot & info sectors with original values (as much as possible).

About your BitLocker tag problem, maybe there's a value somewhere in info sector that describes partition's encryption mode. USER, SYSTEM, SAFE, PRODINFO & PRODINFOF are all encrypted with AES-XTS mode (decryption uses BIS keys), BitLocker uses AES-XTS too, if I remind correctly. I guess that's why Windows labels your partition "BitLocker" even though it's not encrypted with BitLocker.

Last edited by eliboa,

Escape1975

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's always a boot sector in reserved sectors, that's how FAT works. You should try NxNandManager to re-format USER, it'll recreate boot & info sectors with original values (as much as possible).

About your BitLocker tag problem, maybe there's a value somewhere in info sector that describes partition's encryption mode. USER, SYSTEM, SAFE, PRODINFO & PRODINFOF are all encrypted with AES-XTS mode (decryption uses BIS keys), BitLocker uses AES-XTS too, if I remind correctly. I guess that's why Windows labels your partition "BitLocker" even though it's not encrypted with BitLocker.

Ok I'll try messing with that, the BitLocker flag shows up in Winhex when I open the SYSTEM image part of the dump,
however it doesn't when I open the USER image part of the dump ...

It looks like the SYSTEM and I'm also assuming USER is formatted differently than my USER is now,
that is I shouldn't see "MSDOS 5.0" and "Press any key to reboot" anywhere on the filesystem :)

Also the SYSTEM boot identifier is EB E9 90 instead of Windows's EB 58 90

Last edited by Escape1975,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended