2. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert

United States
    U would make a buttload

3. SheriffBuck

SheriffBuck Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    So there is no external video chip per se on the Switch. The video is generated and outputted as Display port direct from the TEGRA, this then goes into the PI3USB mux which ensures the DP is routed across the USB Type-C regardless of cable orientation. That ends up in the dock and gets converted to HDMI. The M92 also drives the PI3USB port orientation using three discrete lines.

I've not explored this to a great extent, however I suspect with the respin of the board, Nintendo will have ensured that the DP lines out of the TEGRA are removed from the layout, meaning you would need to pick up pins only accessible by removing the CPU. The second issue is that the Switch Lite will likely have key services removed in the software stack thus preventing even if the hardware could drive a display, that the software wouldn't have the drivers/capabilities to output.

I could be wrong, however if I was Nintendo, I would have had a specific project team focus on potential ways to overcome this limitation and to ensure that they are made physically impossible/expensive to implement. There is no way Nintendo would want people buying the cheaper model and then convert them to semi-full spec!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - docking, Switch,