1. whostolemywaffle
    OP

whostolemywaffle GBAtemp Fan

Aug 2, 2016
    United States
    does anybodys switch get warm when they are playing any game in handheld mode? like oceanhorn or mario kart or arms or anything

2. Eddypikachu

Eddypikachu GBAtemp Fan

Mar 25, 2015
    United States
    The switch only gets hot to the point where the fan starts whirring when I play in docked mode for some reason, I think it doesnt have as good airflow as it does when in handheld mode but idk. When in handheld mode it doesnt get hot when playing BoTW, MK8D, or ARMs, unless you block the airflow in the back

Tumoche and BlastedGuy9905 like this.
  3. linuxares

linuxares GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 5, 2007
    It only gets lukewarm for me right at where the fan is.
    Else of course it's get pretty warm in the Dock.

4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    It gets a tad warm, but not even as hot as my phone.

SkyQueen likes this.
  5. whostolemywaffle
    OP

Aug 2, 2016
    United States
    is it normal that mine gets warm

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

because when i play oceanhorn on handheld it gets kinda warm

6. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Is normal. Mines happens all the time, Depending on the game it may heat up a lot the system will begin to vent (And is noticeable) sometimes it won't. I play blaster master zero and mighty gunvolt burst and it happens to be warm. When I play Shovel Knight is hotter, but Legend of zelda is the hottest, the system vents and you can feel it blow hot air. It is normal.

7. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    Yeah but that's normal, you should be alright

8. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Yes it does, but you notice whit the air flow, when the fan work a full capacitie and disperse the heat in a mayor area. Is a temperature you expected from a tablet/Smartphone working a full capacity, Switch work with the full capacity cpu for the games in both modes.

9. YourHero

YourHero GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2010
    United States
    It's the HOTTEST console this season!

It only gets to like 50c at most usually during dock usage, don't worry about it. My PC GPU gets that hot at idle during the summer, and thats got plastic all over it. Switch won't melt.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. whostolemywaffle
    OP

Aug 2, 2016
    United States
    does your switch got warm when charging on a bed or a stool or anything?

11. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    If it's literally just "warm," there's nothing to worry about. Samsungs didn't get warm before they exploded, they got boiling hot. That new GPD Win majigger seems to get a fair bit hotter than Switch, too.

Switch turns off automatically if it overheats, so only if it's turning off consistently in the middle of play sessions do you need to start worrying.

Last edited by Xzi, Jul 10, 2017
  12. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    power makes heat.
    The switch should get a bit warm but not burning. The fans really shouldnt be heard while in handheld.
    When dock you might hear them just a small amount since the system is running at more power and the fan doesnt have alot of space to vent

13. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Depends on what you define as warm.
    Sure colder than my smartphone, but also above room temperature.
    Mine never has got so hot as to start the fan, or at least I haven't noticed.

14. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    Gonna be opening up my Switch soon for some IC Diamond re-paste, thermal pads and perhaps a cooper shim too if I can fit one in there.

It's been 3 months and I'm happy with my Switch, I'll make a thread once I've gone through the procedure and give my before and after thermal performances and battery life/charging time in console mode while gaming and charging (in which i think should improve with better airflow).

15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    I didn't think my fan was running either, I started to think there was something wrong with it until I put my ear up to it and I could hear it whirring.
    "Kinda warm" is subjective, but that is about what I would consider it too as far as handheld mode goes. Nothing I've thrown at it in handheld mode has made it more than a bit warm but in docked mode it gets warmer than I'd like.

16. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    I highly doubt the Switch hits 50 Degrees Celsius when in console mode and playing games like BOTW and MK8D but the fan does get pretty loud for late night gaming sessions, certainly not a loud as the PS3 overall but since it's small fan it makes a more annoying whirl.

17. XRaTiX

XRaTiX GBAtemp Regular

Apr 19, 2016

I recommend you see this video,this clarify everything :)

whateverg1012 likes this.
  18. foob

foob GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2007
  19. whostolemywaffle
    OP

Aug 2, 2016
    United States
  20. aut0mat3d

aut0mat3d GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2017
    Australia
    On the Pictures of warped consoles it seems that the warping is happening due thermal stress from the heat spreader.
    I dont think its about using the original Power Supply or a single 5V USB-C Cable.

Think about the layers of: Display Glass, Display, PCB, SOC, Heathpipe/Spreader, Back Plastic
    All different Materials changes their size due heat in different Ways (Stretching)
    The Back Plastic Shell gets weak/soft when it is getting hot and the force (Stretching of Display) could find its way

Probably the Fault can be due bad Temperature Measurement and/or wrong placed Heatspreader, bad/wrong apllied Thermal Paste, bad Thermal Management,....
    -Got my Switch yesterday, lets see if it also bends ;)

So, Nintendo could fix this partially by gaining PWM Rate of the cooling fan (noise).
    Best would be a additional insulating Layer, the usage of a different type of Plastic on the Back shell or a updated SOC with smaller structures (lower Voltage) and better Thermal Design

Last edited by aut0mat3d, Jul 19, 2017