Hardware Switch "Game card could not be read" error

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So we've had our switch just over a year now, and other than a little joycon drift, it has worked perfectly. It has not been hacked in any way, and I've just kept it on the latest firmware. We got a new sd card for it, since one of the games we bought the kids for Christmas was a download instead of a cartridge. I shut the switch off, inserted the sd card, and booted it up. Since this was the first sd card the Switch had seen, it popped up that an update was required. I updated the unit and the new game started downloading. Meanwhile, we decided to play one of our cartridge games. There was no cart inserted at the time, so I put our previously working Mega Man 11 in, but a game cart could not be read error popped up. After reinserting several times, I tried a few other carts, but got the same message. It seems my Switch will no longer read game carts at all. Anyone else experienced this? Could it be an issue with the sd card update, because it was fine before. Nintendo support is no help, just wants me to send it in for repair, and of course, my one year was up a couple weeks ago...

Edit: If I take the sd card out and reboot the Switch, it recognizes the carts again, but when I reinsert it, it starts giving the error message. Weird.

Last edited by Foxchild,

katsup

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the SD card formatted in exFAT or FAT32? I'd suggest trying FAT32 or reformatting in FAT32 if it is not already. There won't be a difference on a non hacked switch.

My 128GB SD came formatted in exFAT.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So we've had our switch just over a year now, and other than a little joycon drift, it has worked perfectly. It has not been hacked in any way, and I've just kept it on the latest firmware. We got a new sd card for it, since one of the games we bought the kids for Christmas was a download instead of a cartridge. I shut the switch off, inserted the sd card, and booted it up. Since this was the first sd card the Switch had seen, it popped up that an update was required. I updated the unit and the new game started downloading. Meanwhile, we decided to play one of our cartridge games. There was no cart inserted at the time, so I put our previously working Mega Man 11 in, but a game cart could not be read error popped up. After reinserting several times, I tried a few other carts, but got the same message. It seems my Switch will no longer read game carts at all. Anyone else experienced this? Could it be an issue with the sd card update, because it was fine before. Nintendo support is no help, just wants me to send it in for repair, and of course, my one year was up a couple weeks ago...

Edit: If I take the sd card out and reboot the Switch, it recognizes the carts again, but when I reinsert it, it starts giving the error message. Weird.
You didn't downgrade the Switch at any point right?

Foxchild

Goomba Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, no hax of any kind. I've formatted the card using sd formatter on the pc, and with the Switch using its format option in settings. I also tried an unused 16 gig card I had laying around. The sd card works, I can download the game we purchased (Starlink) and we can play it. I just have to remove the sd card for cartridges to show up. It's like putting the sd card in is a kill switch that turns off the cartridge slot. Even if I have it out and a cart is in and recognized, if I put the sd back in, it pops up that the cartridge cannot be read.

Kimdapoet

Trophies
Website
www.amazon.com
XP
Country
United States
My son had his switch a year and the warranty expired two weeks ago and the game cartridge is reading error and we called Nintendo she tried to help us and he has five games and none work. It worked fine until this morning. I don't want to let Nintendo fix it or replace it because my daughter bought it and I will not pay for a new one.

Wcky

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Very simalar has happened to our switch, we didn’t do anything, didn’t download anything it just stopped reading ANY cartridge all of a sudden for no apparent reason. I’ve sent in to Nintendo for repair hoping they’d fix it as surely that’s a software problem. They want me to pay £152!! and have said it’s due to physical damage! I’ve tried ringing to discuss as that seems crazy but I’m
Just on hold for forever. I’ve emailed so hoping there is a mistake somewhere

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @CameronCataclysm...