Switch dock power alternatives.

maraxion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So the switch can be charged from a various of sources and voltage like 5,9,12 and 15.
But what does the docked switch need in terms of power to run?
Can it be a static 15v. Can it be a USB-pd with only 5,9 and 12 volts etc.

Lost my power supply and would like some feedback before i go crazy trying.

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I read this somewhere:
The dock requires 39W (specifically 15V/2.6A) to output video. The dock does use a bit more power than the Switch alone, for the USB ports and video conversion. But it rarely draws more power than it does when undocked.

I use a 100W laptop charger, but the original nintendo charger is cheaper and works fine.

Reactions: binkinator

Yachtmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Greetings,

Newbie here and very interessted in this theme ... My home is a sailingboat, means main power is 12 Volt DC.
I couldn't find a commercial solution to power the Switch Dock with 12 Volt DC and have to use an Inverter (12V - 220v) which means a lot of wasted precious battery power.

So I'm thinking of using or trying out a Step-up converter 12V - 15 V. I checked my Nintendo power supply yesterday by removing the insulation from the USB-C cable - inside 3 cables: blue,black & white.

Measure results plugged into the dock are a bit confusing ...

white (positive) + black (negative) = 14.92 Volts
white (positve) + blue (negative) = 13.93 Volts

Well, I guess a 15 Volts Step-up converter should be connected to WHITE (+) and BLACK (-)

Is there anyone who can explain me what are the 13.93 Volts for?

maraxion

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I read this somewhere:
The dock requires 39W (specifically 15V/2.6A) to output video. The dock does use a bit more power than the Switch alone, for the USB ports and video conversion. But it rarely draws more power than it does when undocked.

I use a 100W laptop charger, but the original nintendo charger is cheaper and works fine.
So then a permanent 15volt unit would do the trick?
But a 12volt is not enogh for sure?

Reactions: Hayato213

zxr750j

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I’m no expert but i think it expects a normal usb power supply, starting at 5v and the dock tells the power supply via the extra wire it can handle 15v, the powersupply then steps up it’s game and goes to 15v. I don’t think it’s made for receiving a permanent voltage.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the switch can be charged from a various of sources and voltage like 5,9,12 and 15.
But what does the docked switch need in terms of power to run?
Can it be a static 15v. Can it be a USB-pd with only 5,9 and 12 volts etc.

Lost my power supply and would like some feedback before i go crazy trying.

I would stick with official charger if you can, the charger supply 5v and 15v for what the switch need when undock and when it is docked, the only problem is that when the power supply supply the wrong voltage then you have a problem.

Anxiety_timmy

Average Asura
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would stick with official charger if you can, the charger supply 5v and 15v for what the switch need when undock and when it is docked, the only problem is that when the power supply supply the wrong voltage then you have a problem.
Actually i've never seen the official charger send out anything but 15v when it's plugged into a switch, docked or not. It only seems to send out 5v when its not plugged into something that wants 15v.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually i've never seen the official charger send out anything but 15v when it's plugged into a switch, docked or not. It only seems to send out 5v when its not plugged into something that wants 15v.

I said the charger supply 5v and 15v when undock and docked, so 5v for undock, and 15v for docked.

Yachtmaster

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If I charge my pokeball plus with same charger, it outputs 5.24V
It's a switching powersupply.
yep, with no device connected it shows 3.6 Volts - then depending what you plug-in it selects the voltage.

I guess the ...
white wire = power +
black wire = power -
blue wire = voltage sensor

Today I`ve tried a third party 15 Volt - 3 amp power supply with the dock = nada, no charge - no video signal ... but at least I didn't blow up my Switch :D

Reactions: zxr750j

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM