Hardware Switch Audio Directly to Laptop?

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I want to stream a game off my Switch to Discord. I have an Elgato HD60 to get the feed and audio for other people to use, but I don't like hearing audio from my TV when I'm using headphones to chat. Besides, my headset turns off if I were to use a headphone jack so it's only for bluetooth use. My laptop doesn't have and HDMI input port and no direct microphone port, but can probably take it using my usb ports. What I want to do is have audio directly from my TV/Switch through my computer, which would then specifically go through my headphones in sound settings, since my Elgato would have a delay between the TV feed and the feed on the PC. Can't be helped, but I can't figure out how to properly get that across, since my situation is kind of specific.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think there are usb microphone port adapters, I can't really vouch for how reliable or functional those might be though. It may even introduce additional delay between TV and PC, not much you can do with digital stuff like this.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think there are usb microphone port adapters, I can't really vouch for how reliable or functional those might be though. It may even introduce additional delay between TV and PC, not much you can do with digital stuff like this.
I'm half expecting someone to vouch for those, but if it doesn't become the case I'll just settle with probably turning down the TV.

tony500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sysdvr would probably work well with this, working through USB or TCP IP bridging
https://github.com/exelix11/SysDVR
https://gbatemp.net/threads/sysdvr-stream-gameplay-directly-to-a-pc.550616/

i use it for both video and audio streaming personally albeit, you can just select audio and that should just stream the audio from the switch to the pc
I came across this and might actually try this, but I noticed it doesn't work with all games according to limitations. And patching currently doesn't support 14.0.0?

Valwinz

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
So I want to stream a game off my Switch to Discord. I have an Elgato HD60 to get the feed and audio for other people to use, but I don't like hearing audio from my TV when I'm using headphones to chat. Besides, my headset turns off if I were to use a headphone jack so it's only for bluetooth use. My laptop doesn't have and HDMI input port and no direct microphone port, but can probably take it using my usb ports. What I want to do is have audio directly from my TV/Switch through my computer, which would then specifically go through my headphones in sound settings, since my Elgato would have a delay between the TV feed and the feed on the PC. Can't be helped, but I can't figure out how to properly get that across, since my situation is kind of specific.
Mic cable from the switch to PC them use xplit to stop stop from hearing the sudio but the stream hears it

tony500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I came across this and might actually try this, but I noticed it doesn't work with all games according to limitations. And patching currently doesn't support 14.0.0?
unfortunately yeah, it only supports anything that allows for you to record. i can't say much for the patches, since i don't use them personally and i'm still on 13.2.1

Reactions: Takokeshi

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Elgato has low enough latency that you could view the capture card feed in fullscreen and play through your PC. In my own testing with OBS it was good enough to play Fast RMX and if it's good enough for that game, it's good enough for just about anything.

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Elgato has low enough latency that you could view the capture card feed in fullscreen and play through your PC. In my own testing with OBS it was good enough to play Fast RMX and if it's good enough for that game, it's good enough for just about anything.
Did you not mess with any settings or something? Cause I notice a 1 second delay on both the Game Capture Software and OBS with default settings.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Did you not mess with any settings or something? Cause I notice a 1 second delay on both the Game Capture Software and OBS with default settings.
I used hardware encoding, but that wouldn't affect the video capture, only the recording/stream. I don't think there are any settings in OBS that would affect the capture latency.
I have a HD60S. Does the HD60 not have "Instant Gameview"?
Edit: Ah, appears it doesn't. I guess you could consider upgrading to a better capture card, it would be the least janky solution, although not the cheapest...

As for USB sound cards. The cheapo ones available only have mic in, not line in which is what you want. You can use a mic in as a line in but the sound quality won't be as good, but you could get by with it. Also, it might be a mono mic in, which would be no good, you could already get mono mic input with your laptop just using a simple 3.5mm 4-pole to 2x 3-pole splitter cable. USB sound cards with line in are a lot less common and can cost a decent chunk of change, at that point you might reconsider if it's worth it just to have a janky solution to getting game audio when you could upgrade your capture card instead and gain other benefits as well like HDR recording.
There is some latency added by capturing the audio with line in and mirroring it out to your headphones, but I sometimes use my laptop as a ghetto headphone amp and the latency IMO isn't noticeable, and this laptop is a decade old.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used hardware encoding, but that wouldn't affect the video capture, only the recording/stream. I don't think there are any settings in OBS that would affect the capture latency.
I have a HD60S. Does the HD60 not have "Instant Gameview"?
Nope, added with the S and pro it seems.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
does your laptop have bluetooth? assuming yes, then you can set it up as a bluetooth sink and connect to the Switch, I beleive discord see it as a headset/microphone so the audio can be passed through Discord via the settings if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nope, added with the S and pro it seems.
I guess you could consider upgrading to a better capture card, it would be the least janky solution, although not the cheapest...

As for USB sound cards. The cheapo ones available only have mic in, not line in which is what you want. You can use a mic in as a line in but the sound quality won't be as good, but you could get by with it. Also, it might be a mono mic in, which would be no good, you could already get mono mic input with your laptop just using a simple 3.5mm 4-pole to 2x 3-pole splitter cable. USB sound cards with line in are a lot less common and can cost a decent chunk of change, at that point you might reconsider if it's worth it just to have a janky solution to getting game audio when you could upgrade your capture card instead and gain other benefits as well like HDR recording.
There is some latency added by capturing the audio with line in and mirroring it out to your headphones, but I sometimes use my laptop as a ghetto headphone amp and the latency IMO isn't noticeable, and this laptop is a decade old.

Takokeshi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
If upgrades are on the table, if your laptop has a mini-pcie port, you could potentially consider a mini-pcie to pcie adapter, and use a pcie card instead of a usb one. Latency will be absolutely minimal with pcie (I play off obs all the time :P I can vouch for it)

Downside is you'd have bare cards sticking out of your laptop, but if you're crafty you could get some kind of case design 3D-printed to make it look nicer and protect the internals.

Also it could be a tad bit more expensive than a usb3 card, but I guess it depends on what you'd be getting. Usb3 cards can be pretty good too, they tend to have roughly double the latency than pcie cards do though. Most people might not notice or mind the delay, but it really depends on the person (and the game)

I like the bluetooth idea from above though... if that works and doesnt have too much latency, you could have the game audio streamed over bluetooth to desktop and you can just tell obs to ignore that audio source.

Kazesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the bluetooth idea from above though... if that works and doesnt have too much latency, you could have the game audio streamed over bluetooth to desktop and you can just tell obs to ignore that audio source.
the latency is minimal behaves just like any bt headphones would, granted you have a good connection

Tsukiru

Over the Eden
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DVR-Patches were updated just today and I tried it with Xenoblade 2. Works great, minimal lag that doesn't get in the way of any gameplay.

Aheago

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of my consoles audio go through my computer since I prefer having both full control of the volume and all my audio sources through one headset/device

Unfortunately besides a capture card your next best bet(and expensive) option is the Astro hdmi auto extractor but for its price you’re better off getting a zero delay capture card, and muting (or turning off) your TV. Or just don’t hook up the HDMI out. I have all my inputs going into an HDMI switch which feeds into just my elgato and PC.

A cheaper capture card like the genki shadow cast should do the same thing in theory but I’ve never used it so I’m not sure how “instant” it really is. According to their marketing though it should be playable

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol