Sweden Runs Out Of Garbage, Forced To Import From Norway

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
wow, that's crazy and cool!
so i'm guessing there's no garbage truck stopping outside your house hehehe.
but when you go to take out the trash isnt that a lot of different things that you have to carry?
i'm getting the idea that all the different trash cans would take a lot of space in the house, but i'm probably wrong.
:P
No haha, garbage trucks stops by the recycling facilities. Personally I've never felt like it's to much to carry we just put everything in bags and sort them at the recycling houses. And when it comes to space, nah, they're really small. Remember, we can take out the trash whenever we want so space has never been a problem.

Actually recycling isn't that old here, it was close to non existent only a few years back.
Shouldn't take more than 5 years for the US to implement a similar system I think.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
wow, that's crazy and cool!
so i'm guessing there's no garbage truck stopping outside your house hehehe.
but when you go to take out the trash isnt that a lot of different things that you have to carry?
i'm getting the idea that all the different trash cans would take a lot of space in the house, but i'm probably wrong.
:P
Well, there sort of still are garbage trucks, but for modern apartment complexes from the mid-90's, most compostable's are stored in a manner that they get vacuumed out of a special copartment beneath the apartment building by the garbage truck. This is of course strictly dependent on where you live and to what extent your local housing cooperative enforces it. In my apartment's case, we abolished it because although the vacuuming system was very convenient, ruined the ventilation system in the building from time to time. Now, we have these containers instead:
Molok.jpg

Now, back ontopic:
Yes, it is true that Sweden doesn't really have enough trash for the incineration, but I can distinctly recall that the Swedish media hounded the public for throwing away too much trash a few years ago, so it's not entirely set in stone, I would say.
My take on the solution of the lack of trash would be to buy trash from as close as possible, since you immediately lose the point of 'green' trash-energy if you need to fly it in from other countries with jets.

Reactions: suppow

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh so there are some buildings using the old system still... didn't know that.
And as Ace said, it's not like we've always taken care of our trash, I hope this trend continues. As for the solution, I agree, it's pointless to import landfill from across the sea.

Reactions: suppow

suppow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, there sort of still are garbage trucks, but for modern apartment complexes from the mid-90's, most compostable's are stored in a manner that they get vacuumed out of a special copartment beneath the apartment building by the garbage truck. This is of course strictly dependent on where you live and to what extent your local housing cooperative enforces it. In my apartment's case, we abolished it because although the vacuuming system was very convenient, ruined the ventilation system in the building from time to time.
hehe, that's crazy, do you mean it would get vacuumed out of each apartment, into a main container, or you would put it in a main container for all the building, and then it gets vacuumed out? haha i'm curious.

i'm guessing the trash that gets used for fuel would be the organic one, and yeah having to transport garbage like would defeat the point! lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.