OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hey guys.
I have a 80gb PS3(yes, one of the first ones that came out) but sadly my bluray disc drive is broken. it doesn't read any disc nor anything.
So one of my friends tells me that his PS3 60GB got YLOD and his not planning to fix it nor do anything about it. just buy a new one for him.
If I get his disc drive will it work on mine? or do i have to get one that its from an 80GB PS3?

ben_not_benny

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Canada
Just buy and install a new laser module that corresponds to your model. They're like $20-30 on various websites.

I don't recommend you direct swapping drives because each drive (with the exception of the newest PS3 Slims starting from CECH-25xx) have its own logic board so that they only work on the PS3 they're "married" to. Plus your friend's PS3 could have a module that's different from yours and may or may not work properly.

You can remarry drives to another PS3 using homebrew but you must be on an exploitable firmware (under 3.55) to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, it wasnt aimed at you but ok