Hacking [Suspended] ARM11 kernel access project

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliTheAce

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Isn't it possible to gain access to AM:NET/AM:U or NIS without Kernel access, to allow cia installation? Just wonderi g.

D

Deleted User

wait so this has gone from ARM11 kernel hack to a youtube replacement for 9.4 - 9.5:rofl::rofl:

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to load custom game patches from an SD card without kernel? (like NTR's layeredFS).
That's my only want on higher firmwares, but who am I kidding, I left mine on a low firmware.

D

Deleted User

Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I read through the topic and I couldn't find an anwser.

I know that MassExplosion mentioned that arm11 kernel exploit means downgrading is possible. Does that mean even if you don't have a nand backup of a previous firmware? So if I'm on 9.9 I can downgrade to 9.2 without a backup? Or is a nand backup required?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this question has been answered before, but I read through the topic and I couldn't find an anwser.

I know that MassExplosion mentioned that arm11 kernel exploit means downgrading is possible. Does that mean even if you don't have a nand backup of a previous firmware? So if I'm on 9.9 I can downgrade to 9.2 without a backup? Or is a nand backup required?
Without backup.

Reactions: Clothahump
D

Deleted User

Why not just use tube/iron/oot/smash hax as an entry point? They're already available and most people interested in this probably already have one of them.

Then again, my knowledge about this stuff is pretty much nonexistent, so I'm guessing you have a reason :D

AliTheAce

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why not just use tube/iron/oot/smash hax as an entry point? They're already available and most people interested in this probably already have one of them.

Then again, my knowledge about this stuff is pretty much nonexistent, so I'm guessing you have a reason :D
That's because anyhax (except Ninjhax 1) utilizes userland for all it's functions, so it's a level near the very surface of the system that is used for homebrew like emulators. For downgrading/cia/dynarec, kernel access is required for accessing the lower parts of the system, which are the NAND as well as the ARM9 CPU, which handles the system security. It's one reason the 3DS is really secure: It has an entire CPU core dedicated to security, and it's almost impossible to communicate with externally, be it via IR or with a pinout. That's why kernel exploits are very rare and hard to find.

ironmaster49

Trophies
XP
Country
So if a arm11 kernel exploit is released then can i use sysupdater and downgrade to 9.2?. Because i have a 3ds xl at 9.9 without a nand backup. Also, why does flashing another devices nand cause a brick?

I was too late to enter the 3ds hacking/homebrew scene, the 3ds was updated from 9.2 6 months ago without a nand backup

Last edited by ironmaster49,

N0n@me

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if a arm11 kernel exploit is released then can i use sysupdater and downgrade to 9.2?. Because i have a 3ds xl at 9.9 without a nand backup. Also, why does flashing another devices nand cause a brick?

I was too late to enter the 3ds hacking/homebrew scene, the 3ds was updated from 9.2 6 months ago without a nand backup

It would brick your device as it is using someone else nand which are all encrypted with their own personal key that only their device has. Also attempting to downgrade with sysupdater can be dangerous as there is a possibility of user error that they miss with something that you are not supposed to which would brick your device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/PMCaXL2sGpc?si=jAKEK_yJL318jk17 lol