Surfacer+ Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by monkat, Mar 1, 2011.

Mar 1, 2011

Surfacer+ Review by monkat at 1:14 AM (665 Views / 0 Likes) 0 replies

1. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

May 21, 2009
    United States

As a few of you know, I recently got a DSi XL, and think that the damned device is fucking magical. There really is nothing wrong with it, save for the removal of the slot-2...erm...slot, and one of my favorite additions is the DSiware service. I've got the big titles, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Souls of Darkness, etc., and thought that it was time for something a little less...known.

Brought to you by the same people who brought you the Learning With The Pooyoos games comes Surfacer+, a neat little arcade game.

Jumping right into the meat and potatoes of the game, this is an extremely addictive game with a ton of replayability. There is only two inputs registered here: holding the stylus down, and removing the stylus. When you touch the stylus to the touch screen, you begin to grow a flower (the top of the flower only, the part with the petals and such), and the longer you keep the stylus down, the larger the flower gets. While the flower is growing, you can move the stylus, and the flower will follow. When you remove the stylus, of course, the flower stops growing and falls to the bottom of the screen (or as far as it can go). Each level, you are allotted a certain amount of flowers to grow.

While making flowers, though, there is an increasing number of balls on the screen. While growing the flower, if the flower touches one of the moving balls, the flower will dissappear, and along with it, the count for the flower (I.E. There are three flowers available to grow, you try to grow one, but get hit by a ball. You have two remaining flowers.). After you have released the flower, however, it can touch the balls as much as it wants. Every so often, there will (seemingly randomly) be either a fan displayed, or the screen will become dark, and only a few numbered circles will be on the screen. If you blow in the microphone for the fan, or touch the circles in the correct order in the allotted time, the balls will freeze in place. Additionally, if you create three flowers of the same size touching eachother, the balls will also freeze. If you run out of flower counts or time (yes, there are time limits, but they are generally very generous), you lose and are reset to the last checkpoint. Checkpoints are levels 1, 11, 21, 31, etc., even though the game doesn't seem to tell you that.

On the top screen, there is a bar measuring the amount of the screen covered by flowers, and it is your goal to fill the bar to the maximum (it seems to be a slightly different percentage each time, but I could be wrong). This creates an amazingly functional risk-vs.-reward ecosystem. You can grow your flower larger, and potentially get more points, fill up the screen higher, and save flower count, but you risk losing the flower count for nothing. And that's it. The game is really that simple. But it's really quite addicting and more action-packed than any description could describe. Should've...sent....a poet....

Audio/Visual Quality

Well, what is there is good. The entire game has a very subdued style to it, and that works. The graphics are dominated by shades of grey, allowing for the colour and whiteness in the flowers to really stand out, and the music is very light and beat-based, with a few sound effects. In fact, I couldn't even tell that there was music until I turned my volume up.

The auditory and visual elements support the style that the game was going for, but it really would have been nice to see a little bit more in the audio department. The music came off more as bland, than stylish.

Replay Value

This game is made for being replayed. This is no story-driven RPG, has no memorizable and speed-runnable jumps, or clear patterns. This is an arcade game in the truest sense, and would have worked well in the quarter-fueled market (and probably would have made more money).

Each and every time you play the game, it will be different, and you will never want enough.

Score: 9/10

Risk vs. Reward Gameplay
    Only 500 DSi Points

Music is bland