Supercard DSTWO SDK ready for developers!

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
sorrycostello said:
Not everyone knows, but the PSP is actually dual core although the second core (the MediaEngine) only has limited access to the other hardware. Not all emulators take advantage of the second core as it's tricky to use, but it does mean it's unlikely for a PSX emulator to be full speed on the DSTWO although not impossible.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but POPS IS NOT AN EMULATOR. There is no need to emulate a PS1 on the PSP because the CPU is the same, all you have to do is virtualize the hardware. Yes, it is tricky without a MMU but VMware and Virtualbox do it on the x86 and the x86 is not normally virtualizable (i.e. the MMU is not very helpful so it has to be done in software).

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
nl255 said:
sorrycostello said:
Not everyone knows, but the PSP is actually dual core although the second core (the MediaEngine) only has limited access to the other hardware. Not all emulators take advantage of the second core as it's tricky to use, but it does mean it's unlikely for a PSX emulator to be full speed on the DSTWO although not impossible.

I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but POPS IS NOT AN EMULATOR. There is no need to emulate a PS1 on the PSP because the CPU is the same, all you have to do is virtualize the hardware. Yes, it is tricky without a MMU but VMware and Virtualbox do it on the x86 and the x86 is not normally virtualizable (i.e. the MMU is not very helpful so it has to be done in software).
NO! NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! PSP CPU IS NOT PS1 CPU!!

[title:PS1 CPU]
R3051

* MIPS R3000A-compatible 32bit RISC chip running at 33.8688 MHz
* The chip is manufactured by LSI Logic Corp. with technology licensed from SGI.
* Features:
o Operating performance of 30 MIPS
o Bus bandwidth 132 MB/s
o 4 KB Instruction Cache
o 1 KB non-associative SRAM Data Cache
o 2 MB of main RAM

[title:PSP CPU]
SP CPU Core:

* Sony CXD2962GG CPU
* Based on MIPS R4000 32-bit Core
* 90 nm Semiconductor CMOS Process
* 1-333 MHz (set at 222 MHz by default) @ 1.2V
* 16 KB Instruction Cache / 16 KB Data Cache
* SiP:

* 8 MB eDRAM @ 2.6 Gbps
* Embedded FPU
* Embedded Vector FPU @ 2.6 GFLOPS
* Embedded Graphics Core:

* 1-166 MHz (set at 111 MHz by default) @ 1.2V
* 256-bit Bus at 5.3 Gbps
* 2 MB eDRAM (VRAM)
* 3D Curved Surface and 3D Polygon
* Compressed Textures
* Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
* Hardware Tessellator
* Bézier surface, Bézier curve and, B-Spline (NURBS)

* 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 Subdivision

* Rendering Engine and Surface Engine
* Pixel Fill Rate: 664 Megapixels/s
* Up to 33 Million Polygon/s (with Transform & Lighting)
* 24-bit Full Color: RGBA

* 128-bit Bus at 2.6 Gbps
* 3D-CG Extended Instruction Set
There's a lot more to the PSP CPU and its a lot faster. Its architecture is not the same so you do need to emulate. If I've misunderstood then feel free to correct me.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The CPU class is the same, so you don't need to emulate that. You do need to emulate the GPU, though.

PS1: MIPS R3000A-family R3051 @ 33.8688 MHz
PSP: MIPS R4000-based; clocked from 1 to 333 MHz

(from Wikipedia)

If this weren't the case, the PSP wouldn't nearly be fast enough to emulate a PS1.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jamstruth said:
Rydian said:
GreatCrippler said:
I kinda doubt we'll even see FX Chip SNES games at full speed.
I'm not sure on that, AFAIK the SuperFX chip is a glorified math co-processor acting as sort of a GPU.

(Heh, passed the limit by one quote.)
PSP can't even render Mode7 at full speed. Not too sure how the DS would handle it even with the DSTwo hardware

As far as I know, there isn't a handheld yet that emulates it at full speed. (Have not played with a Pandora)

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
dewback said:
I had an emulator that would run psx games on a Pentium 200mmx with a Voodoo card that emu was using the glide for the card that was setup like the call for 3d on the psx. It might be able to be done with this card but would be ruff the psp had used a hacked download from $ony that did the first emu on the psp.

are you talking about the Connectix Virtual Game Station? i used it on my k6III with my voodoo 3dfx card.

-another world

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
btyre said:
Extra ram and CPU power... SCDS2Linux anyone? Or even... No that would be too azing... ANDROID! ???
Isn't android a crapped-down version of linux?

QUOTE(Rydian @ Jul 31 2010, 06:20 PM) IIRC there was no iPlayer SDK, so outside development did not exist. An SDK will allow outside development to exist, so even if the team stops giving updates (assuming the SDK is finalized before that) then homebrew/emulator support can still continue, like it does on the PSP even though none of the official firmware teams are releasing anything.
iplayer had an sdk for people who wanted to make legal homebrew.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Nollog said:
Rydian said:
IIRC there was no iPlayer SDK, so outside development did not exist. An SDK will allow outside development to exist, so even if the team stops giving updates (assuming the SDK is finalized before that) then homebrew/emulator support can still continue, like it does on the PSP even though none of the official firmware teams are releasing anything.
iplayer had an sdk for people who wanted to make legal homebrew.
I don't see it on the site, did they discontinue it?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
We may not see DSLinux, or at least not from the same people (I think they've mostly done what they want with it and are tired of working on it, judging on their forums).

Christopher8827

Trophies
XP
Country
I will buy this card as soon as the Opera Mini web browser is ported onto it.

QUOTE said:
Opera Mini is a web browser designed primarily for mobile phones, smartphones and personal digital assistants. It uses the Java ME platform and consequently requires that the mobile device be capable of running Java ME applications. Opera Mini is offered free of charge...

Opera Mini requests web pages through the Opera Software company's servers, which process and compress them before relaying the pages back to the mobile phone. This compression process makes transfer time about two to three times faster, and the pre-processing smooths compatibility with web pages not designed for mobile phones.

So - web pages are rendered on a server and sent to the client. This enables faster web browsing on a device that is too slow to do it itself. eg. Nintendo DS.

BowserMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im creating a team of devs to port psp homebrew
yaypsp.gif
and that would require the sdk
yaynds.gif

i was wondering if i could get a copy
rolleyes.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Berthenk said:
Only, there's one problem: DS Wi-Fi speed. It. Is. Slow. As. Hell.
So it really is the WiFi's fault? I thought loading was slow because of the CPU speed.
unsure.gif

KazoWAR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Veho said:
Berthenk said:
Only, there's one problem: DS Wi-Fi speed. It. Is. Slow. As. Hell.
So it really is the WiFi's fault? I thought loading was slow because of the CPU speed.
unsure.gif

Yep, its the Wi-Fi chip in the DS, its capped at like 10-15 Kb/s kinda dumb on Nintendo's part if you ask me.

Also, I think I might get a copy of the SCDS2 SDK. I can't wait to test it out and see how far the SCDS2 can be pushed.

Christopher8827

Trophies
XP
Country
Its not capped on the DSi, in DSi mode. But it's still very slow. Opera Mini would just compress the page so it loads quicker. The rendering is done on its server.

QUOTE said:
So it really is the WiFi's fault? I thought loading was slow because of the CPU speed
It is the CPU speed mostly. Yep, its at 10kb but its better than nothing.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
KazoWAR said:
Yep, its the Wi-Fi chip in the DS, its capped at like 10-15 Kb/sQUOTE(Christopher8827 @ Aug 4 2010, 07:23 AM) Yep, its at 10kb

That's five times worse than dialup...
ohnoes.png

whywouldyoudothat_2.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Ahhhh ok