Supercard DSTWO or DSTWO+ ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Yepi69, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Yepi69
    OP

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I have an American N3DS XL on my way here and I plan on installing CFW on it, but that's besides the point.
    I had my old Nintendo DS Lite with a Supercard DSTWO but, I borrowed my stuff to the wrong person and that person sold my DS along with my DSTWO :angry::angry::angry:

Regardless, what do I need to play DS games on my 3DS? I can't find the DSTWO for sale anymore on the usual places I used to buy but now that there's a DSTWO+, should I get that one?
    I'm not interested in playing 3DS ROMS but rather interested into dumping my NDS cartridges.

Thanks.

2. hoogachakka

hoogachakka Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2015
    United States
    Lucky for you, that may not be needed soon - an SD card DS loader is coming soon. I would just wait at this point for a release.

Yepi69 likes this.
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I really suggest neither.
    The DSTwo is nice, but drains the battery something horrible. As well if you have a New3DS, the GBA/SNES emulator on the DSTwo is made redundant, because ROM injections are better.
    The R4i Gold is a far better cart if you are just using it for DS ROMs and Homebrews
    And the DSTWO+ is just shit. It's a slightly better DSTWO which started out a Gateway clone, then ripped off ReiNAND.

Yepi69 likes this.
  4. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I was also searching for that one however what stopped me from getting a R4 card I the past were the clone cards.

Sent from my Vodafone_SU6 using Tapatalk

5. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I knew it was coming, just like the Wii had its own Dios Mios loader.
    Regardless that can take time and it may not work as great as a flashcard would.

Sent from my Vodafone_SU6 using Tapatalk

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    For DS games exclusively, the DSTWO and DSTWO+ are still solid carts that have features other carts are missing, like Free Cheat.
    Also, battery drain has proven to be negligible during use. If you're worried about it draining the battery in sleep mode, just eject the cart when you leave the system in sleep mode.
    R4i Gold is not a better cart. Literally the only benefits it has over the DSTWO is that it doesn't drain the battery as much (which as said only matters if you leave the console in sleep mode), and the price is lower. So the cheapest option might be the R4i Gold but it's certainly not the best option.

7. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    The R4i Gold is not better in all cases, but I vastly prefer it to a DSTWO on a 3DS. It is maintenance free (i.e. doesn't suck your battery dry when not in use), has a solid loader, and is far cheaper than the DSTWO. The DSTWO's benefits are much smaller on a CFW 3DS where you aren't going to be doing emulation in DS mode anyway.

That's not to say that the DSTWO is a bad choice. It was the favorite before 3DS CFW was as widespread for a reason, after all. But the extra power of it comes with drawbacks, both in battery life and cost.

Last edited by squall14716, Dec 19, 2016
    Quantumcat and The Real Jdbye like this.
  8. Yepi69
    OP

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Well, I'm aware that DSTWO has got free cheat, slow motion, save states and so on.
    However I had a DSTWO and I never ever used those features, what I did notice was how much battery that thing was sucking out of my console.

I'll guess I'll opt for a R4i Gold if I get the urge of playing NDS titles right away.
    But doesn't a R4i Gold require NDS patching before running? Or just drag and play like the DSTWO?

9. BARNWEY

BARNWEY THE MLG DINOSAUR

Oct 11, 2016
    United States
    Imagination
    You install the firmware by dragging and dropping all the correct files, and then you can just drag and drop roms.

10. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am just going to flat say the DSTWO+ isn't worth it compared to the DSTWO. It's just a DSTWO with a lazy CFW slapped onto it.
    The DSTWO does have nice features, but it seriously kills the battery. I've run plenty of tests on my own hardware and found that it just wrecks the batteries. And again, some of the key features like GBA/SNES emulation aren't really selling points anymore.
    I am just saying if someone is just looking for DS games and nothing really more, the R4i Gold would be another option. If they have the money for a DSTWO and don't mind the battery drain, go with the DSTWO.
    But seriously, the DSTWO+ just isn't worth it when you really look it. The CFW for it is just a tweaked ReiNAND that removed features like CFW sysNAND and FIRM0/1 protection. And if you have a CFW, the slightly better hardware doesn't really get used. It's not worth it compared to just a CFW+The normal DSTWO.

Yepi69 likes this.
  11. Pleng

Pleng GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 14, 2011
    Thailand
    The OP is unable to source a regular DSTWO...

12. Mrrraou

Mrrraou GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    i have a ds2+ and i'd recommend you to get a ds2 or another good flashcart. the issue with the ds2+ is the battery usage and how much it heats up. i don't use the gw redcart emulation and i don't care about it, i also don't care about their ripped-off and fucked up reinand they called "freegame". (i actually like them for that because it was easy enough to reverse)
    the ds2 and ds2+ have cool features tho. but i almost never use them because the gba emulation and snes emulation aren't very good at all

Arck likes this.
  13. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    I have a regular DSTwo and love it, but honestly - if TWLoader's commercial game support works out well, I will be retiring my card.

14. Mrrraou

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    no comment lol
    firmprot isn't needed if you don't have sysnand support lol. also, they don't even patch the firm, they just boot it straight. the firm is prepatched and in the binaries.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

it won't get as good as a DS2 at all, really. don't expect much from it.

15. Lilith Valentine

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    I am not wrong. The hardware isn't that big an upgrade and is only used for emulation. With a CFW you have access to ROM injections, which is far better emulation than the DSTWO.
    That still doesn't make me wrong. FreeCFW is just reiNAND with features removed.

16. SSG Vegeta

SSG Vegeta GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2013
    United States
    I would go with the DSTWO+ it's boss you can dump your games you have emunad,you can play DS/3DS games not to mention snes & gba games.

17. Arck

Arck GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2016
    DSTWO+ is just a stupid clone, I am happy with my DSTWO.

18. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Aye, but it might reach the state of being 'good enough'. Being able to load from internal SD would be great.

19. Mrrraou

Oct 17, 2015
    France
    that wasn't the point and it mostly is used for gw redcard emu
    and i wasn't saying you were wrong

mostly being able to trigger antipiracy checks and causing glitches/bugs/slowdowns and other fun stuff.