Hacking Supercard DSTWO hardware failure

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In a bid to be transparent and open I thought I'd post my findings regarding the DSTWO.

First off a bit of background info. If you didn't already know from my signature I've been reviewing DS/DSi cart for some time. My web site two-screens.com currently has 19 reviews in total. I've been involved in the GB/GBA/DS since the days of bung carts.

I received my DSTWO package on Monday. Due to time pressure from work(installing new server/client system) I only had chance to do a quick test of the GBA emulator. During this test I had a few random lock up and freezes. At first I put this down to the "beta" nature of the OS. But as time progressed every time I rebooted, my DSi was having trouble detecting the DSTWO. Now it doesn't detect it at all. I have tried all the usual procedures, cleaning the contacts, cleaning the DSi slot 1, reformatting the memory card and even the old paper trick.

Lets put this into context. I have 7 other DSi compatible carts. I retested them in order to clear up that this wasn't an issue with the console its self. they all functions as expected. Even the crappy £4 R4i Gold. On closer inspection of the DSTWO, I found it to be a poor cousin of the DSONEi in terms of build quality. The very first time I inserted the cart into the DSi there was a noticeable creak. The DSTWO fits into the slot1 very tightly , almost too tight. The IC chips on the label side are quite prominent. I'm saddened by this hardware failure as Its the first time its happened since I've been reviewing carts. I was hyped to finally have the DSTWO in my hands and could get on with testing all its features.

During the lead up to the DSTWO release I can recall some forum messages,saying that the Supercard team went through a few early fab runs due to hardware problems. I hope these haven't made to final retail revision. It wouldn't be a good start for the product in terms of buyer confidence.

DSTWO is a premium product and therefore its build quality should reflect that. The iEDEG cart currently blows it away in terms of build quality yet it is considerably cheaper. Perhaps I have been unlucky and just got a random dud. I used DHL in order to receive my cart fast. I'm probably one of the first adopters of the cart in the UK. It will be interested to see what happens when the flood of pre-orders start arriving at buyers addresses all over the world. If there is a significant percentage of failures I'm sure the GBATEMP community will make it known.

I have contacted both SHOPTEMP and the Supercard team regarding this hardware failure. They have yet to respond.

This will be an acid test of both parties customer support. I will keep the community informed of any further developments.

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zero response from the Supercard Team.

SHOPTEMP have informed that I need to return the package for "testing" before they will furnish me with a replacement.
God only knows how long the package will take to reach its destination in deepest China via "vanilla" airmail.

I'm a bit "sad ted" about the situation, having splashed out on DHL express shipping in order to get the DSTWO as quickly as possible. I received the device Monday, I could of had a fairly detailed review published for this weekend. Alas.. This aint gonna happen anytime soon.

I could be cheeky and give a shout out to any friendly resellers, who could supply me with a review sample in the meantime. Obviously any review would name check them along with a web store logo/product URL.
smile.gif

dudereno

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update.

The Shoptemp returns department located in deepest China have received my package. They have confirmed that the cart is dead. Hopefully the replacement will be posted soon. Just for reference, for any other poor unfortunates who have to return DOA items, here's the time line so far.

22nd May: Posted from UK via Airmail.
4th June: Received package at SHOPTEMP returns dept China.

So that's roughly 13 days UK>China.

I'll update again when *fingers crossed*, I receive my new functional cart.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Oh, crap, I hope mine won't be faulty... Not like I'll have wasted any money, cos I won it, but it would suck because I don't believe the shop will accept to fix a card they gave me for free in the first place...

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
It would suck if this wasn't an isolated incident.
It seems to me that were it more common that we'd have seen way more posts like this by now, so here's hoping it isn't (at least I can say my card seems entirely fine, and that's with daily use).

Firemonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully it was just a fluke. As 9th_Sage said, we would have seen more topics.

The only thing that I might think be a problem is heat issues created from constant use of the 2 chips with the GBA emulator. Even then I doubt anything would break...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I certainly do hope my free DSTWO won't die on me either, just because of the build quality and I also do hope that the Supercard Team would make a revision on the build quality of the DSTWO.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Ive had my DSTWO for a few weeks now and Ive heard of rumors about the tight fitting and the microsd problem but I have had no such issues of these with my DSTWO, it fits perfectly and the microsd, no problem there and I have had no problem with the DSTWO hardware so far, maybe it was just a bad bunch that unlucky people got, like I said mines been running fine, spot on infact so I cannot fault it so far I think the DSTWO is the best flashcard so far.

Really pleased here!!!

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Only problems I've been having is 'corrupt files' but I don't think it's the DSTwo at fault, since I don't get corrupt files IF I leave the msd in the DSTwo

- I only get them once I take out the MSD & place it into the cardreader to backup my save etc,
so since both the MSD & card reader (actually it's a SD card reader with a MSD/SD adaptor) are ~2years old (& the MSD is constantly being taken out/put it) any of these could be the cause...

(I've just got a kingston Class 4 8Gb card, & new MSD/SD adaptor ... let's see what happens now)

EDIT: one other 'concern' is I think the battery drain is a little higher with the DStwo than I had with my older card - ak2i

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Overlord Nadrian said:
CannonFoddr: can't you just use the included microSD reader instead?

It's crap.....unless you take the casing off it, it really REALLY overheats (at least mine does).
If anything I say a newer microSD reader would be better
tongue.gif

phoenixclaws

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For mSD readers I just use my SD adapter which never failed for me yet
smile.gif
. I don't really like mSD USB adapters.

CannonFoddr said:
EDIT: one other 'concern' is I think the battery drain is a little higher with the DStwo than I had with my older card - ak2i
The DSTWO does drain a bit more energy especially when using the GBA emulation a lot. It might be a little higher with the DS section too but I haven't been using that as much as the GBA emulator lately
tongue.gif

Plus I find it amusing to watch the energy drain when using the GBA emulator because as the energy gets close to the "RED," the light flickers back and forth between Green and Red. You know it will settle on Red eventually but just how long will it take?
tongue.gif

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
DarkWay said:
Overlord Nadrian said:
CannonFoddr: can't you just use the included microSD reader instead?
It's crap.....unless you take the casing off it, it really REALLY overheats (at least mine does).If anything I say a newer microSD reader would be better
tongue.gif
To both: Yes I could use the enclosed DS2 MSD Reader (in fact I have a few times, especially when I was transferring files between MSD's) but.....

... I use SD and MSD frequently - so it's easier for me to have a SD card reader & use an adaptor rather than having to keep swapping a SD read for a MSD reader,
I haven't really seen many 'MSD and SD multi card readers around (especially in the UK) - have you ???

Don't bother suggesting 'get a hub' 'cos I do have one - only it has only 2 USB on front (& 4 on back) - usually need one 'empty' on the front as I also plug in other USB devices regularly

Regarding the MSD reader that comes with the DS2 - it does get warm (not 'hot') but only if I use it on the Hub - using it directly into PC motherboard & it stays 'cool' - just don't ask me why. I've also had other MSD readers go 'wrong' on me before, especially those that came free with flashcarts, so don't really trust them 100%

@ phoenixclaws: That might explain it then - I've also been using GBA quite a bit now that I can play GBA games on a DSi (been playing the Zelda games). I always thought it was because of the 'extra prcessor power' that the DS2 had compared to other cards

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte