Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
review.gif
SuperCard DS One v3 Review
Official GBAtemp Review by JPH

Hello GBAtemp, I'm proud to announce that I've finally completed the Official GBAtemp Review of the SuperCard DS One v3!
The SuperCard DS One has been changed so much since our last review, we decided to re-review it.

So what about this new SuperCard DS One? We know it's got SDHC support, but what else?
What all features does it have? Is it worth buying a new SuperCard DS One, or worth buying at all?
Read the review to find out!

We'd like to thank Monty at MyGamingMart and DealExtreme for providing us with the review samples! If you're interested in this flashcart, definitely purchase from one of those great stores (or from our affliates)!

icon11.gif
Read the Official GBAtemp.net SuperCard DS One v3 Review
icon11.gif
Discuss the Review

Buy this flashcart at MyGamingMart!

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
AndreXL said:
Nice review, but wow... it's now categorized as expensive?
I always though of this as one of the cheapest Slot 1 solution.

Actually, that needs to be changed - they're not very expensive.
DealExtreme has them cheaper as MyGaming Mart does.
lecture.gif

gekiwolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Good review. Was looking forward to it. I was thinking of getting this flash cart now I probably will
yaynds.gif

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yeah, nice review. Certainly gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside for buying one. One thing remains though: There's no word whatsoever about the Realtime Guide. I find that feature extremely helpful, and AFAIK, it's basically a SCDS1-exclusive. And I've heard that the SCDS1 is one of the few cards (CycloDS being the only other, I believe) that soft-resets from every homebrew. I haven't tried enough yet though to reliably make that claim.

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
This is a great cart but there are a couple other issues (I think these are universal issues not just me)

-I think it should be mentioned that the RTS is not yet 100%. It works for many games very well, but in my experience there are a few problem games where the game has a high chance of crashing, or when you load the save, it works but everything looks funny (like pixelated etc).

-Also I've found that yes although it has pretty much 100% compatability, its not as stable (I.e games crash) as DSTT and R4 (I can only compare to these two as they're the only other ones I've had). Personally this has been a big issue for me as I never know which game has stability issues and which doesn't so I use YSMenu. If I want to use RTS I convert the save on the net and load it up with the official firmware and use it.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
the major problem i have with the DS One, something that's been with the card since day one, is the fact that the file browser is just incredibly sluggish. it makes scrolling through a long list of games tedious as hell, and it's the sole reason i use my Acekard 2 over this (even though the AK lacks real time save/guide, soft reset from homebrew, and its build quality isn't as good)

i guess it's because it loads the rom information for each file as you select it, instead of loading it all in advance (like the acekard presumably does)

Renegade_R

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This card has 'teeth' on the pins...this is the kind of detail which separates the good cards from the cheap stuff.

Edit: BTW...your link to DealExtreme is broken.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Renegade_R said:
This card has 'teeth' on the pins...this is the kind of detail which separates the good cards from the cheap stuff.
Not true at all.

If anything, the teeth cause more issues than they solve.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The teeth "protects" the connection point of the cart, but makes it harder to clean, easier for dirt to hold on and sometimes makes the cart unreadable by the NDS, so you have to "shake" it a bit in order to make a full contact..

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Toni Plutonij said:
The teeth "protects" the connection point of the cart, but makes it harder to clean, easier for dirt to hold on and sometimes makes the cart unreadable by the NDS, so you have to "shake" it a bit in order to make a full contact..
Or in the case of the DSTT, prevents any contact unless you shave it down.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
bollocks said:
the major problem i have with the DS One, something that's been with the card since day one, is the fact that the file browser is just incredibly sluggish. it makes scrolling through a long list of games tedious as hell, and it's the sole reason i use my Acekard 2 over this (even though the AK lacks real time save/guide, soft reset from homebrew, and its build quality isn't as good)

i guess it's because it loads the rom information for each file as you select it, instead of loading it all in advance (like the acekard presumably does)

Use the simple text view.

great review JPH but maybe you should've gone into a bit more detail about the SCDS's features.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Party DJ :P