Super Smash Brawl SD Card Size Limit

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by the_randomizer, Jun 15, 2012.

Jun 15, 2012
  1. the_randomizer
    OP

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Not sure if this is the right section or not, so I'll ask here anyway. What is the true SD card size limitation for Brawl? I hear non-SDHC 2GB cards are the limit, but what I want to know is, is there any app I can use that bypasses that (such as with my 16GB card) so I can store custom soundtracks on it, or am I SOL? I really don't want to have to stick with 2GB cards just to listen to custom music. I know there's the method of extracting the ISO image, replacing the files, and recompiling the ISO image into a WBFS/ISO file, but the problem with that is I'm stuck with the music I replaced and can't swap them out with different ones.
    Any advice is appreciated.

2. megazig

Member megazig SU

United States
    you can rewrite the game's sd code to support sdhc cards.
    otherwise, sd is mandatory

edit: you could also use Riivolution to replace the files so you don't have to mess with ISOs

3. the_randomizer
    OP

United States

How would you rewrite the code for SD cards? What file (or rather, which offsets) would I need to modify? But I could always use Riivolution, but I thought that didn't allow the use of ISO images. I use those since my Wii is a 2006 model, I don't want the drive to die.

4. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    If you have to ask how you would rewrite the code, then you probably won't be able to do it. It would involve you writing c or asm, using a debugger and a disassembler all after you look up the differences of sd and sdhc to know what exactly you need to change to make it work.

It would probably be a hundred times faster for you to got cut a lawn to earn $10 and go to wal-mart and buy a dedicated 2gb sd card. I can't imagine than you'll need over 2gb of music for a single game.

1 person likes this.
  5. the_randomizer
    OP

United States
    I have 2 SD cards, one is 2GB and the other is a 16GB, which is used for apps, ROMs and DML with its games; I hate having to swap the cards back and forth a million times per day, which is why I asked what the best method for doing this was.

6. Sascha

Newcomer Sascha Member

Germany
    I wonder if noone ever did this in form of a patch yet?