Super Monkey Ball 3DS first trailer

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Canonbeat234 said:
So this is what SEGA is doing while Sonic's anniversity and reputation on hanging on the balance next year?!
If you mean hanging on the line...

edgeworth.jpg

they have nothing to worry about.

tongue.gif

Etalon

Former Akaio Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Macau
Stuff like that can be fun to play if you could download it for 5 bucks.

But I'm not sure if a lot of people are willing to pay $40-50 for this.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
hergipotter said:
Rydian said:
spinal_cord said:
1. With youtube offering 3D video for quite a while now, why the hell are preview videos for a 3D system not actually in 3D!!!!!
It's not the same type of 3D.
Yes it is, the 3DS renders two pictures for each frame. It's the same like on youtube in the mode cross-eyed or parallel.
I'm talking the specific implementation of 3D. There's multiple kinds and they work in multiple ways, something shown on youtube could not approach what an actual 3D screen would do, which is why they're not doing it all because they don't want people thinking they've already seen the 3D effect from a trailer that's in a different form of 3D.

inb4 "3D is 3D!", go read more on the various methods youtube uses and how they differ from each other when converted from source material, then check out what the 3DS and other screens like it do (parallax).

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Canonbeat234 said:
So this is what SEGA is doing while Sonic's anniversity and reputation on hanging on the balance next year?!
What the hell is anniversity?
Besides Sonic was redeemed with Sonic Colors!

More on-topic, I love how it looks, I wonder what the 3D effect'll be like? When I get a 3DS I'm probably gonna buy it
tongue.gif

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
For some reason, I read Dragon ball 3DS, then I saw the video and was like : Meh. I really hate this game, just because I suck at it
biggrin.gif

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
Rydian said:
hergipotter said:
Rydian said:
spinal_cord said:
1. With youtube offering 3D video for quite a while now, why the hell are preview videos for a 3D system not actually in 3D!!!!!
It's not the same type of 3D.
Yes it is, the 3DS renders two pictures for each frame. It's the same like on youtube in the mode cross-eyed or parallel.
I'm talking the specific implementation of 3D. There's multiple kinds and they work in multiple ways, something shown on youtube could not approach what an actual 3D screen would do, which is why they're not doing it all because they don't want people thinking they've already seen the 3D effect from a trailer that's in a different form of 3D.

inb4 "3D is 3D!", go read more on the various methods youtube uses and how they differ from each other when converted from source material, then check out what the 3DS and other screens like it do (parallax).

It does not matter HOW the 3D is implemented, if you can trick the brain into seeing a different image through each eye, the you will achieve the same effect. just because the 3DS uses a parallax barrier, does not make it any more or less '3D' than any of the youtube 3D implementation methods.
If they used the SAME output footage from the 3DS, exactly the same images for the left and right eye, the the 3D effect would be exactly the same when viewed on youtube (if the video was not too compressed) using any of the methods that reconstruct the image without colour loss (cross-eye/parallel/interleaved for 3DTV etc.)

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Erdnaxela said:
ryan90 said:
Looks pixelated and ugly imo, not the best the 3ds can do
You mean youtube look ugly and pixelated?
Of course it is, it's just a crappy video quality with some zooming to stretch to the player.
The youtube video had compression but it didn't make the game look like a jagged mess all by itself thats just what the game looks like.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spinal_cord is correct, youtube 3D option is an excellent way to show the 3D effect. There's not really any "better or worse" 3D effect. The 3DS can output the same kind of 3D any other system or device can do, the way it goes about it is just different. Spinal knows what he's talking about here, i assure you.

As for the jaggies, i can tell you that it probably did lose a lot of quality when upscaled. The game itself i can't see much difference between it and the other games (maybe a little when compared with Wii, but not PSP). We do know that the 3DS does support some level of anti aliasing however, at least when in 2D mode. Resident Evil 3DS games have been confirmed to use it when in 2D mode. So there's no excuse for SEGA not to reduce the jaggies when played in 2D, besides just sheer laziness (which isn't a valid excuse of course).

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
granville said:
Spinal_cord is correct, youtube 3D option is an excellent way to show the 3D effect. There's not really any "better or worse" 3D effect. The 3DS can output the same kind of 3D any other system or device can do, the way it goes about it is just different. Spinal knows what he's talking about here, i assure you.

As for the jaggies, i can tell you that it probably did lose a lot of quality when upscaled. The game itself i can't see much difference between it and the other games (maybe a little when compared with Wii, but not PSP). We do know that the 3DS does support some level of anti aliasing however, at least when in 2D mode. Resident Evil 3DS games have been confirmed to use it when in 2D mode. So there's no excuse for SEGA not to reduce the jaggies when played in 2D, besides just sheer laziness (which isn't a valid excuse of course).

about 452x272 is what the gameplay window was so its a little upscaled and your right that would make it look worse which makes me think the trailer itself has been upscaled, if we could see it in original resolution it would be a much better representation of the game.

Does anyone know where the original trailer was released, is there a site that has it because i don't believe the youtube version is the highest quality?

Edit: I should also mention about how many games look worse in webvideo, it has to do with compression that degrades any fast paced motion a reduced framerate that makes jaggies more noticeable and upscaling which will make anything designed for native resolution look bad.(much like why your ps1, n64, snes games will look like crap on an hdtv when played through the original console) A prime example would be gran turismo for the psp which looks a million times worse on youtube than on the psp.

On the 3d effect, i have seen 3d at the cinema and on youtube using the cross-eye method and it is very good, it makes it look 3d even if it does strain your eyes but you need to look out because there are alot of stupid people out there that think that just putting the same video side by side makes it 3d so the effect obviously doesn't work on those videos.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
My point is the quality.

When you do the cross-eye 3D your area of focus diminishes quite a bit.
When you do red/blue (or other color) 3D it fucks with the colors.
When you do polarization 3D it fucks with the contrast.

The only comparable thing is an actual 3D screen (youtube offers two modes for it), but most people don't have this.

Nintendo doesn't want people doing one of these lower-quality versions and thinking that's how crappy the actual one will be, that's why they're not offering 3D trailers.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
IMO, the quality suffers a lot more by not actually being in fucking 3D. I'd prefer red/blue screenshots to boring high quality but 2D trailers any day. I want to be able to judge if the game gains anything in 3D. I know most of the games announced for 3DS in their old 2D form already and I don't care if they have a few more or less details. All I care about is actually seeing them in 3D, even if it is with funky colors.

Trollology

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
TDWP FTW said:
Looks like it'll be great. I like the Super Monkey Ball games, and this one looks like it'll be worth buying (Then again, all games will have to be bought).

I agree to this 100%
Monkey Ball games are very enjoyable. I absolutely adore them.

The graphics are neat!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...