Hacking Super Mario Galaxy 2.5 Demo

  • Thread starter Thread starter Glem3
  • Start date Start date
  • Views Views 13,328
  • Replies Replies 25
  • Likes Likes 6
An annoying thing: Riivolution only works with legit ISOs. My SMG2 disk is buggered so I use a backup, so now I can't play this :(
Just extract the partition with Wiiscrubber, add in the demo files, recompile the partition and reinsert it into the ISO.
It works just fine with a USB loader.

Mind sharing how to do the process? I'd be much appreciated.
He did. He told you exactly what you need to do. If you can't figure it out from there then do some googling on the parts that you don't understand.
 
Or skip using Wiiscrubber and use Wii Backup Fusion instead. It does the same thing as Wiiscrubber (file injection and replacement, recompiling disc images) but you don't need to use CLI-based programs. It works just as well.
 
I don't mind explaining it as a step by step process, though I am curious about Wii Backup Fusion now as I'm sure scrubber is outdated in comparison. Alas, I'll explain the process using WiiScrubber because it's what I'm most familiar with.

1. Get a dump of your Super Mario Galaxy 2 disc in ISO format.
2. Open your Mario Galaxy 2 ISO in WiiScrubber.
3. Right click Partition 0 and choose Unencrypted Partition > Extract.
3. Expand Partition 0 in Wii Scrubber and extract Partition.bin, apploader.img, Boot.bin, Bi2.bin and main.dol to a directory seperate from your partition.
4. Extract the files from the SMG 2.5 demo and open up the "smg2.5" folder. Copy all of the folders here and paste them into the same directory as your unencrypted partition. When prompted, merge any folders and replace any files.
5. Use Wii Partition Builder to reconstruct the partition by selecting the locations of your Partition.bin, apploader.img, Boot.bin, Bi2.bin and main.dol, along with the source file directory containing all of your extracted Partition.
6. Load the unencrypted partition back into Wiiscrubber by opening the Galaxy 2 ISO, right clicking partition 0, choosing Unencrypted Partition and load.
And that's all there is to it.
Now that I come to think of it, I used Wii Backup fusion to rename the ISO and Title ID so they wouldn't conflict with the normal Super Mario Galaxy 2, but I didn't know it could do the files replacements like Wii Scrubber can. I'll need to look into it more and mess around with it a bit later, since I can imagine it would be a lot more timesaving to use than scrubber.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1 person
Yep. I'm not so sure about on-the-fly file replacement, but as long as you keep the extracted data folder on your computer somewhere, Wii Backup Fusion (also called WiiBaFu) will recompile the ISO image, but it takes 7-10 minutes to rebuild. The process is less complicated IMHO.
 

Site & Scene News