Super Mario Bros. 4

Would you buy Super Mario Bros. 4?

• Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

• Depends on the gameplay.

• Yar har fiddle bee dee, I am a pirate.

• Total voters

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the semi-recent release and relevant success of Sonic the Hedgehog 4, I got to thinking how much I loved the original 3.
Which got me thinking how much I loved the original 3 Super Mario Bros. (yes, I even likes SMB2).

It then occurred to me that we are long overdue for a 4th installment of the original Super Mario Bros. line of games. It's been 22 years since the 3rd was released and I would love to see a new 2D platformer with serious quality. Where is Super Mario Bros. 4?! I'm not talking about Super Mario World, or Super Mario 64 or even New Super Mario Bros. I mean a full fledged, numbered, Super Mario Bros. game.

If there were to be a Super Mario Bros. 4, would you buy? How do you think gameplay would be?

Personally, if I had the system it was released on, I would definitely buy it.
I think it would either resemble SMB3 or be a completely new idea.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
It's called Super Mario World.

EDIT: Regardless of naming, SMW is SMB4. Or NSMB is. Or NSMBW is.
If it was intended to be SMB4, it would have been called "SMB4".

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:

Except he already addressed those. He means what he means, I think. I think it'd be awesome, and of course I'd buy it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Presto99 said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Except he already addressed those. He means what he means, I think. I think it'd be awesome, and of course I'd buy it.

The difference is that Sonic blew chunks mostly since his golden days in 1, 2, and 3, while Mario has consistently produced quality material past his first three titles.

Any "SMB4" would be just as same quality as any of the other Mario games that have been successful in the past 25 years. It's a stupid question.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I understand why people would think that SMW is SMB4, but the title says otherwise. I just think it'd be nice for the franchise to go back to what drew us in in the first place.

Hell, I'd even be happy if they made the game 8-bit, like Capcom did with Mega Man 9 and 10, if not happier.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
SMW is called SMB4 on the Japanese box. BUT ANYWAY

I would absolutely buy a "proper" SMB4 if they actually made it a proper SMB4. ie if they took SMB3 and ran with it from there. Sonic 4 offered no gameplay advances on Sonics 1-3, just fancy graphics. NSMB (DS) threw away everything from SMB3 in favour of making a modern "sequel" to SMB1. A real SMB4 should be to SMB3 what SMB3 was to SMB1. If that makes sense. Not just SMB3 mechanics with new levels and graphics.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bollocks said:
SMW is called SMB4 on the Japanese box. BUT ANYWAY

I would absolutely buy a "proper" SMB4 if they actually made it a proper SMB4. ie if they took SMB3 and ran with it from there. Sonic 4 offered no gameplay advances on Sonics 1-3, just fancy graphics. NSMB (DS) threw away everything from SMB3 in favour of making a modern "sequel" to SMB1. A real SMB4 should be to SMB3 what SMB3 was to SMB1. If that makes sense. Not just SMB3 mechanics with new levels and graphics.
I didn't know that it said Super Mario Bros. 4 on the box, that's actually really interesting. I wonder why that never made it over to the states?

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
SMW_JapaneseCover.jpg
Not sure why they changed it over here as well.
Guess they wanted it to sound different I guess.

Xale

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
thats actually not true, i mean look at guitar hero, is there any doubt that guitar hero world tour isnt guitar hero 4? and the same thing with warriors of rock, it doesnt say it, but its guitar hero 6, just because it doesnt have the number you want in the title, doesnt mean its not the game you want

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Xale said:
_Chaz_ said:
thats actually not true, i mean look at guitar hero, is there any doubt that guitar hero world tour isnt guitar hero 4? and the same thing with warriors of rock, it doesnt say it, but its guitar hero 6, just because it doesnt have the number you want in the title, doesnt mean its not the game you want

World Tour is Guitar Hero 4 since it was preceded by Guitar Hero 3 and succeeded by Guitar Hero 5. There's no Super Mario Bros. 5 to make a reference frame for SMB4.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
I would buy it in a shot.

What I would want, though, is for it to be like a souped up 8-16 bit mario in PHYSICAL form (none of this wiiware nonsense), either for DS or Wii.

And NO EPISODIC CONTENT, thank you very much. A full game on a disk or cartridge

hybridreality

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'd love to see a new game with the Super Mario Bros. graphics. That old school art style worked wonders with mega man 9 and 10.

I think we're all too fussed about graphics, a new game with old school graphics and new levels/powerups would be awesome.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Hi