Homebrew Super Mario 64 Port

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If the source code is also available in that leak, I imagine someone could continue working on it...

Except I would rather see an "official" port, even if the legality of it would be questionable.

The progress done on the PC port has been seriously impressive, and I hope it gets ported on more platforms.
It's just a compiled 3dsx, unfortunately. It seems legally okay-ish, considering it needs a ROM to run, so it's a shame the release of it seems so dubious instead of just doing a dang GBAtemp thread like a rational human being.

Reactions: peteruk

CeeDee

fuckin dork
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like whoever is releasing is making changes though. It’s already on the third “public” release in a week
Yeah, I've noticed that! They added a savestate feature in, apparently, using ZL and ZR. Still no sound effects, though. It's nice that it is continuing to receive updates, but I still think I'd prefer if it were more publicly released, with source code, on a GBAtemp thread or something like that that isn't just... a YouTube channel.

Reactions: TheCosmicWarrior

Terran0va

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so everyone else isnt fine with Mario 64 DS controls? I always used them and thought they were fine, both button and touch screen.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just be patient people, I'm pretty sure that a proper and stable port will be released soon, as it is completely possible and there is definitely people very interested on this.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Wait so everyone else isnt fine with Mario 64 DS controls? I always used them and thought they were fine, both button and touch screen.

The impression I got, and generally shared with most I ever spoke to on the matter, was it was an impressive tech demo (firing it up for the first time I did not expect anything as good as what we got as every previous attempt to map a stick/mouse to dpad and unprecise controls or split the difference on the PS1 for those without analogue controllers, failed miserably), however if you played it initially with stick/sticks then it was never as satisfying -- if I fluff a jump in N64 Mario 64 then it is because the level design, the camera or my lack of talent, if I fluff a jump in DS Mario 64 then the controls were frequently a factor and something I had to consider rather than just being second nature (in an earlier post I used the phrase expression of my will and N64 or equivalent did feel like that).

MarioKartFan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Hi. I am the developer of the previous 3DS port that was posted earlier. I can answer some questions about my project here. I am looking to get into contact with Gericom, ideally through Discord or something similar since I am new to GBAtemp.

I really enjoyed your port. It was very user friendly as it required that the user supply the ROM only and did not require any compilation. Would you be able to do the same thing using Gericom’s code?

Reactions: DarkraiPK
D

Deleted User

The only thing the original has over the first, controls aside, is resolution, AA and sound quality.
can the n64's blur filter really be considered antialiasing?, sure, there aren't many jagged edges, but at what cost?

D

Deleted User

Do you think there will ever be a simpler way to set this up down the line? These installation instructions are confusing me, probably because I've never used Docker before. From anyone who's done it, is Docker easy to figure out and follow along these instructions with without extensive coding knowledge?

Gericom

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Do you think there will ever be a simpler way to set this up down the line? These installation instructions are confusing me, probably because I've never used Docker before. From anyone who's done it, is Docker easy to figure out and follow along these instructions with without extensive coding knowledge?
The readme is unmodified. You just need the 3ds stuff from devkitpro and some dependencies which are needed to build the sm64 decomp in general. I guess using linux or wsl is preferable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • K3Nv2
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, probably the scouter