• Replies 59
  • Likes 2

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really enjoyed SM3DL, so... I'm kinda happy about this.
I'm a little weirded out by the cat power up, but I love cats, so I guess I'll get over it.

It actually looks preatty powerful though. Climb up all the walls, dive bomb, claws, and scurry up the flag pole. More useful then the penguin suit Id say.

Reactions: Warlord698

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh, not a big fan of the "levels floating in nowhere" kind of feel.

Don't get me wrong, I loved 3D Land but for a lot of other reasons and the cat suits looked great but I was kind of hoping for something more. In a year or two maybe.

picano

Trophies
Website
soifall.net
XP
Country
United States
I never got to play 3D Land on the 3DS --- so a game in a similar vein on the Wii U is awesome to me.

I'm pretty sure they'll make a 3D Mario similar to 64, Sunshine, Galaxy --- but I'm fine if they don't for a while. We managed Galaxy 1 and 2 on the Wii afterall.

MeowTheMouse

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I don't get why people are complaining. Mario 3D land was AWESOME, it was the main reason I got a 3DS. The new DKC game looks FANTASTIC! As a Nintendo fan I think this E3 was EPIC!

There was one issue though... 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014

Reactions: beta4attack

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, I'm excited about this. Will it be one of the best games out there like Galaxy was for the Wii? Probably not. Do we demand a new game on par with Galaxy 1 or 2? Yes.
I just can't see what's so great in Super Mario Galaxy... Personally I found it to be boring to play.

Kikirini

Zelda Fangirl
Trophies
Website
kuroshouri.com
XP
Country
United States
It actually looks preatty powerful though. Climb up all the walls, dive bomb, claws, and scurry up the flag pole. More useful then the penguin suit Id say.

Oh, I have no problems with what it can do. Just surprised they went with a cat.
I have a feeling I will be doing lots of playing as Cat-Peach... xD

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping for a 3D Mario on the level of 64 or Galaxy. ...not this.

Same. I mean, don't get me wrong, SM3DL was great, and I'm sure this will be great as well, but I wanted a proper 3D Mario game with at least somewhat of a story, HUB world, and so on.

Reactions: MarioFanatic64

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
marios a cat now zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
pretty much a cut n paste from 3ds version zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

prob won't be getting this (unless it's downloadable on the ukey :P)

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why people are complaining. Mario 3D land was AWESOME, it was the main reason I got a 3DS. The new DKC game looks FANTASTIC! As a Nintendo fan I think this E3 was EPIC!

There was one issue though... 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014 2014

you watch the right Nintendo Direct? swear they said it was coming out December

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
you watch the right Nintendo Direct? swear they said it was coming out December

He was referring to other games mostly. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and all that jazz.

On Topic, my opinion on 3D World:

I have made it rather clear in the past that I think 3D Land is the weakest Mario yet and I have been rather harsh to it, I know that. When I first heard the rumour that 3D Mario U would be hitting this year I was actually scared that it would be just as rushed and cheap-feeling as 3D Land was, and denied it to myself that Nintendo would go down such a route. After watching the trailer for the first time, I felt like posting "I TOLD YOU SO" to all parts of the internet. But in addition to that, I felt betrayed. Iwata had implied in the Direct that the 3D Land style was going to be the new direction for the 3D Mario games. I was thinking "R.I.P. Non-Generic 3D Mario's - 1996-2010".

I knew that we wouldn't be seeing Galaxy 3, as developers have clearly said that there isn't anything else they can do with the space concept, and 3D Land was supposed to be a bridge between 2D and 3D, not what 3D Mario's should be, so I doubted they'd do it again. So I somehow got it into my head that Nintendo would finally listen to the fans and provide a non-linear Mario in a 3D open world more akin to 64 and Sunshine but with the grandeur of EAD Tokyo's Mario games. With areas that had multiple missions as had been the norm until 3D Land. Something that would really show off what the Wii U could do and render a huge world to play around in sandbox-style. No Time Limits, no Flagpoles (they belong in 2D Mario), and a Health system instead of Power-ups. But then Nintendo showed that trailer which immediately reminded me of Mario Party 4-8. The sameness scared me into thinking that 3D Mario is becoming as stale as the NSMB games.

I was hopelessly pessimistic.

But then I slept on it.

I think it's safe to say that this will be the only 3D Mario we'll be getting on Wii U. Galaxy 2 only happened due to all the leftover ideas from Galaxy 1. Aside from that, there has never been two 3D Mario's on a single console. The Developer Interview stated that they were thinking of the Wii U title as they were developing 3D Land, so hopefully that would mean that they had the time to refine the formula, and account for 3D Land's flaws. 3D World has been in development for 2 years, unlike 3D Land. Surely, this one will be much longer and made with much more quality level design. This isn't a handheld title, this game's meant to save the Wii U, so Nintendo really can't afford another cop-out now that fans know what the rushed 3D Land was really like. They've really put a lot more effort in this one, I can tell that from the trailer.

Reflecting on the plus side of the game, the developer interview suggested that the camera can be moved like Super Mario 64, using gyro. As long as I can also do it with the right analog stick I'll be much more relieved, one thing I realised I didn't like about 3D Land was the fixed camera. I'm still not happy about linearity, but the Galaxy games still managed to be linear but fantastic at the same time. Also, with the new gameplay elements like Green Stars to collect, actual Boss Battles (instead of jumping on Boom Boom's head, or hitting a switch), 4 Player Multiplayer where characters actually have different abilities, etc., Super Mario 3D World has the potential to be great.

Now I'm hopefully optimistic.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He was referring to other games mostly. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and all that jazz.

On Topic, my opinion on 3D World:

I have made it rather clear in the past that I think 3D Land is the weakest Mario yet and I have been rather harsh to it, I know that. When I first heard the rumour that 3D Mario U would be hitting this year I was actually scared that it would be just as rushed and cheap-feeling as 3D Land was, and denied it to myself that Nintendo would go down such a route. After watching the trailer for the first time, I felt like posting "I TOLD YOU SO" to all parts of the internet. But in addition to that, I felt betrayed. Iwata had implied in the Direct that the 3D Land style was going to be the new direction for the 3D Mario games. I was thinking "R.I.P. Non-Generic 3D Mario's - 1996-2010".

I knew that we wouldn't be seeing Galaxy 3, as developers have clearly said that there isn't anything else they can do with the space concept, and 3D Land was supposed to be a bridge between 2D and 3D, not what 3D Mario's should be, so I doubted they'd do it again. So I somehow got it into my head that Nintendo would finally listen to the fans and provide a non-linear Mario in a 3D open world more akin to 64 and Sunshine but with the grandeur of EAD Tokyo's Mario games. With areas that had multiple missions as had been the norm until 3D Land. Something that would really show off what the Wii U could do and render a huge world to play around in sandbox-style. No Time Limits, no Flagpoles (they belong in 2D Mario), and a Health system instead of Power-ups. But then Nintendo showed that trailer which immediately reminded me of Mario Party 4-8. The sameness scared me into thinking that 3D Mario is becoming as stale as the NSMB games.

I was hopelessly pessimistic.

But then I slept on it.

I think it's safe to say that this will be the only 3D Mario we'll be getting on Wii U. Galaxy 2 only happened due to all the leftover ideas from Galaxy 1. Aside from that, there has never been two 3D Mario's on a single console. The Developer Interview stated that they were thinking of the Wii U title as they were developing 3D Land, so hopefully that would mean that they had the time to refine the formula, and account for 3D Land's flaws. 3D World has been in development for 2 years, unlike 3D Land. Surely, this one will be much longer and made with much more quality level design. This isn't a handheld title, this game's meant to save the Wii U, so Nintendo really can't afford another cop-out now that fans know what the rushed 3D Land was really like. They've really put a lot more effort in this one, I can tell that from the trailer.

Reflecting on the plus side of the game, the developer interview suggested that the camera can be moved like Super Mario 64, using gyro. As long as I can also do it with the right analog stick I'll be much more relieved, one thing I realised I didn't like about 3D Land was the fixed camera. I'm still not happy about linearity, but the Galaxy games still managed to be linear but fantastic at the same time. Also, with the new gameplay elements like Green Stars to collect, actual Boss Battles (instead of jumping on Boom Boom's head, or hitting a switch), 4 Player Multiplayer where characters actually have different abilities, etc., Super Mario 3D World has the potential to be great.

Now I'm hopefully optimistic.

I'm have strong ambivalence in regards to how I'm supposed to feel about the game itself. I wanted another Galaxy game, I really did and they could make one that tops or is on par with Super Mario Galaxy 2. But alas, that is not the case.

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know why are people complaining when they just watched ONE trailer and ONE developer interview. Come on, guys, give it time and try it out if you're lucky enough to have one of the select Best Buys near you and just try it out. Don't call it out just yet, it looks REALLY fun, and that's what matters. If you begin comparing games with each other, you will miss out on lots of fun, so it's better to play games like it's the first game you ever played, it's more fun that way.

Reactions: TyBlood13

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I was hoping for a 3D Mario on the level of 64 or Galaxy. ...not this.
They are talking about this title as part of a series like with NSMB," the next installment in the Mario 3D series...", it's not the title that will top the Galaxy games, but it's a title the Wii U is in need of asap, 3D Land was a faster selling game than Galaxy, and considering how many more Wii's there were during Galaxy compared to 3DS's during 3D Land it's easy to see why they wanted to get this title out there.

I believe they're doing exactly the same as they did with the 3DS. Release Mario before holidays, watch sales go up and then get things rolling from there. All of the titles revealed are still 2013 games with MK7 releasing early 2014. Like Reggie said, they have more titles to announce but feel that this years lineup is more important right now. They can pull out another Direct whenever they feel like now anyways. They've showed what they needed to show and don't think that they need to reveal more at this point in time, that's probably the reason why they went with a Direct instead.

In any case, 3D World should be a lot of fun even if it's not the title that would make me buy a Wii U yet.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a huge fan of the Galaxy games but I don't get this sentiment that this is lesser or inferior by nature. I see that opinion everywhere but I see no reasoning behind it.

Does having multi-player make it inferior? Does being associated with a portable game version make it inferior?

New SMB Wii and NSMB U were vastly superior to the DS and 3DS version (and had much higher difficulty). This game will not be some cut and paste version of 3D Land.

It's the same development team as the Galaxy games and they mentioned how they are taking stuff from all those games, it seems their goal is to make the best mario game ever not some watered down version that most people seem to be expecting after seeing the trailer. So why is being stated causually and factually that this is "not on the level of Galaxy"?

Personally I feel this game has potential to be BETTER than the Galaxy games which I consider the best mario games ever (prefer 1 slightly over 2).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night