Hardware Suggestions for removing stripped PSU screws ?

TheStonedModder

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently bought a hacked phat ps3 and realized it was super loud just from idle and first boot. So I wanted to replace the thermal paste but saw that the screws holding my PSU in are completely rounded out…does anyone happen to have any suggestions on how I can remove these ?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
may be you can use a mototool to create a groove on the screws head and you be able to use a flat driver.

if you go with this method remember to cover all the board with towels or a rag to avoid debris to go on unwanted places.

rusty shackleford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use a wide rubber band between the screw and screwdriver to get a grip. Or you can superglue something like a pen to it then let it dry for a couple hours then try turning it.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Assuming you have the skills you could drill 'em out with a very tiny drill-bit, that's how the pros do it.

Remember the inFamous "Blue Screw" securing the Ps3's Hdd, most people had to drill 'em out,
but instead I bought a new pliers for max grip and used that to grab hold of the screw head and twist, wasn't pretty but eventually it came loose.

Had to do the same for the 4 hdd caddy screws too coz I also managed to strip those, I was on a roll, lol.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Use a wide rubber band between the screw and screwdriver to get a grip. Or you can superglue something like a pen to it then let it dry for a couple hours then try turning it.
The rubber band trick never works for me. The screwdriver just goes straight through the rubber band. Maybe it only works with bigger screws.
I recently bought a hacked phat ps3 and realized it was super loud just from idle and first boot. So I wanted to replace the thermal paste but saw that the screws holding my PSU in are completely rounded out…does anyone happen to have any suggestions on how I can remove these ?
You can buy screw extractors that you use with a drill, they're supposed to dig into the screw and unscrew it simultaneously, but depending on how small those screws are, you may not find a screw extractor small enough. They don't go down very small. I've also heard of mixed results using them.
I tried all sorts of tricks to unscrew stripped screws in the past, the only thing that worked at all was carefully drilling out the head, leaving a bit sticking out that you can grab onto with pliers to get the rest out.

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: This movie rip so werid has 1080p quality but the audios ripped with movie theater audio quality