Hacking Suggestion for Guide Authors

Gavry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As there are a lot of guides going around, and there are always new things happening in the scene to make some obsolete. I though it would be useful if guide authors added a little:

CHECKED AND WORKING: THE DATE

at the top of their guide. Then maybe once a week go back and update that section. That way people will know which guides are still relevant when they are looking around.

Unfortunately a very well written guide can be pretty useless, or in fact outright dangerous, if it is outdated.

What are your thoughts?

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Date means nothing.

It's all about what version of the system menu you have. All the guides stickied here (the only ones you should be looking at) clearly state what system menu they will work with and what version you end up with.

Gavry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not true at all.

If someone was on SM 3.2 and wanted to upgrade to 4.1, as they'd heard that 4.2 caused problems, they could easily find a guide that suggested using Wanin's 4.1 update tool. That we all know will cause a brick.

If however the guide said:

CHECKED AND WORKING: 10th-May-2009

They would instantly know the guide was pretty out of date and keep looking for a more recently checked and confirmed one.

I know the sticky guides currently are well maintained, and in particular anyone who needs to do any updating shouldn't go past xzxero's, as its first class. Unfortunately however, people will sometimes skip straight over the stickies, or do a search first and find the wrong guide.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
at the bottom of any posts here, it shows the last time they were edited, just check that to find out when the guide was last updated

Gavry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Last updated and still current are both a little different however.

How to install homebrew with the Twilight hack is a very old method, but is still relevant today. The guide, if written correctly, could still be relevant today, but created a while ago. It may not have been edited for months.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    microsoft support is entirely outsourced to india, to cut costs down to make more money
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly Alienware fucked over gaming laptops they were so cool back in the day
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Indian call centers are the epitome of tech savvy individuals.... Lol I wouldn't trust them with a pocket calculator
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    If lappy gpu dies, replacing/fixing is costs the same as getting a new one, because of the labour and skill required
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If it means better airflow I want a system a little more chunky stop with all this paper thin bs
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was honestly hoping by this decade we'd replace paper with disposable lcd technologies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    50pack of lcds for $5
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    even those M series macs, got fans because the chips generate so much heat, old intell ones had passive cooling
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    still remember days we had ibooks lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I remember we got pdas in schools and everyone hacked them to play line rider and Pokémon yellow
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Should have been playing gold
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was a palm TX iirc
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i mostly remember palm, casio
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but nokia phones were really everywhere
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    not that they had much functionality
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: