Hardware Sufficient power supply

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I want to upgrade my processor (I know it's not very common to do that but I don't have the money to build a new computer). The processor I want to get is an intel core i5 2500k at 3.3ghz (3.7 at turbo boost)(quad core). My current processor is an intel Pentium g620 at 2.6 ghz (dual core). My power supply has been making lawn mower like sounds so I think it is going to die (It's 480 watts)(It is not branded, I think it came with the case which is also unbranded). I think I am going to need to get a new power supply to handle this big jump in power consumption. My money is limited, and I know the budget power supply market is fishy, but do you think would be a safe bet? My budget for the power supply is $40. I could jump up to $50 if I find a good deal on the processor.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, how I wish I was able to do shipping.

I have a spare computer with a PSU that I'd be happy to get rid of, it's a duplicate of my current desktop which has been reliable for a few years now.

yet at the same time I only know the basics of building a system so I'm not sure about the specs of anything. All I know is my CPU is less powerful than your current one....I really need to upgrade too.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
On the one hand, I've never had any PSU fail, even budget ones.
On the other hand, bad PSUs can take down all your other hardware, and if you're not paying attention right when shit hits the fan, your room or even the whole house.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Definitely don't get a brand you're unfamiliar with. I bought something from Solid Gear and regret it immensely.
I've had problems with it such as SATA power cables dying (it's non modular, so RIP), plus it causes power surges according to my BIOs, though nothing major enough to affect other things around the house.

I'm looking at something like this when I decide to replace this piece of crap I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Continuous-Active-Supply-PS-SPD-0600NPCWUS-W/dp/B014W3EMAO

Last edited by AkikoKumagara,

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I want to upgrade my processor (I know it's not very common to do that but I don't have the money to build a new computer). The processor I want to get is an intel core i5 2500k at 3.3ghz (3.7 at turbo boost)(quad core). My current processor is an intel Pentium g620 at 2.6 ghz (dual core). My power supply has been making lawn mower like sounds so I think it is going to die (It's 480 watts)(It is not branded, I think it came with the case which is also unbranded). I think I am going to need to get a new power supply to handle this big jump in power consumption. My money is limited, and I know the budget power supply market is fishy, but do you think would be a safe bet? My budget for the power supply is $40. I could jump up to $50 if I find a good deal on the processor.
According to anandtech the difference in load is only 50 watts, which I wouldn't consider a big jump in power consumption, but yes, if your PSU sounds like a lawn mower you should definitely replace it. https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#R=5,4&e=6,5,4,3,2&W=450,2000&sort=price&page=1 Some relatively cheap options there.

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just replace the psu fan, sounds like the bearings are going bad
I would but I heard how much power those capacitors hold. I don't want to die of electric shock.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh, how I wish I was able to do shipping.

I have a spare computer with a PSU that I'd be happy to get rid of, it's a duplicate of my current desktop which has been reliable for a few years now.

yet at the same time I only know the basics of building a system so I'm not sure about the specs of anything. All I know is my CPU is less powerful than your current one....I really need to upgrade too.
Yeah, I'd totally trade.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Personally I’d recommend staying away from any non-branded PSUs. They’re cheaply made, never reach their stated wattage, and liable to go up in a puff of black smoke (which I’ve seen a dozen times already).

Always go for a PSU from a known brand and make sure it can supply enough watts for your system (usually 450-600W depending on your graphics card).

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know now that the title does not represent the content now, but I am lazy.
So I got an EVGA 600b power supply. We brought it home and I hook everything up....nothing. It just beeps and then turns off. It does this in a cycle. What is it? I notitcied that the 24 pin connector on the cable has one connector with no pin. I don’t see a socket with no pin on my motherboard. Is that the issue? I also put new thermal paste on my cpu. Did I scratch it? I can provide pictures, if needed.

Specs (before I upgraded the power supply)
wt 480 watt power supply
Intel pentuim g620 dual core at 2.6 ghz
G skill ddr3 ram (2x4)
Biostar h61ml motherboard
MSI gtx 1050ti
1tb hardrive
2tb hardrive
DVD drive

Thanks!

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I know now that the title does not represent the content now, but I am lazy.
So I got an EVGA 600b power supply. We brought it home and I hook everything up....nothing. It just beeps and then turns off. It does this in a cycle. What is it? I notitcied that the 24 pin connector on the cable has one connector with no pin. I don’t see a socket with no pin on my motherboard. Is that the issue? I also put new thermal paste on my cpu. Did I scratch it? I can provide pictures, if needed.

Specs (before I upgraded the power supply)
wt 480 watt power supply
Intel pentuim g620 dual core at 2.6 ghz
G skill ddr3 ram (2x4)
Biostar h61ml motherboard
MSI gtx 1050ti
1tb hardrive
2tb hardrive
DVD drive

Thanks!
Did you get modular or non-modular first of all? If it's modular, make sure that the cables are properly connected on both ends and that you actually have all necessary cables connected, including any non-PSU ones you may have needed to remove temporarily (eg: the small pins for power, etc.). By the "it just beeps", do you mean the PSU or the computer itself (internal notification speaker)? If it's an actual beeping sound coming from the notification speaker, describe how it is (eg: long duration, repeated short beeps, etc. as it tells you the issue). One beep of about 1.5 seconds means faulty PSU or having connected it wrong for example (and for reference three short beeps is burned processor, two is IDE malfunction if you have a motherboard that has IDE connectors and I could list various other examples). If the PSU itself beeped (either sound or an LED, whatever it uses if it does use something), then it's power surge, so for starters make sure the outlet is proper (it's warning to avoid it's anti-fry protection from getting fried itself).

Anyway, it can very well be faulty PSU as I said, if it was stored, transported or handled without care could have easily gotten broken. If you can verify that the connections are correct, then it's probably that or something more serious (motherboard issue but too rare considering it was working with old PSU). As for the pin you think should be there, would it happen to be in the corner of the 4-pin part of the 24pin connector (you know, 20+4)? If so, then it's not the problem. The 4 pins are for powering the back panel on newer motherboards and the corner one acts as ground, meaning it's never really connected.

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you get modular or non-modular first of all? If it's modular, make sure that the cables are properly connected on both ends and that you actually have all necessary cables connected, including any non-PSU ones you may have needed to remove temporarily (eg: the small pins for power, etc.). By the "it just beeps", do you mean the PSU or the computer itself (internal notification speaker)? If it's an actual beeping sound coming from the notification speaker, describe how it is (eg: long duration, repeated short beeps, etc. as it tells you the issue). One beep of about 1.5 seconds means faulty PSU or having connected it wrong for example (and for reference three short beeps is burned processor, two is IDE malfunction if you have a motherboard that has IDE connectors and I could list various other examples). If the PSU itself beeped (either sound or an LED, whatever it uses if it does use something), then it's power surge, so for starters make sure the outlet is proper (it's warning to avoid it's anti-fry protection from getting fried itself).

Anyway, it can very well be faulty PSU as I said, if it was stored, transported or handled without care could have easily gotten broken. If you can verify that the connections are correct, then it's probably that or something more serious (motherboard issue but too rare considering it was working with old PSU). As for the pin you think should be there, would it happen to be in the corner of the 4-pin part of the 24pin connector (you know, 20+4)? If so, then it's not the problem. The 4 pins are for powering the back panel on newer motherboards and the corner one acts as ground, meaning it's never really connected.
Thanks for the big list of troubleshooting solutions.
1. It is non modular
2. My speakers are off, So I think it's from the power supply.
3. To be specific about the beeping, think like a quarter beat nine times. After that I shuts off. I have not seen what happens if I leave it on thought. I have not looked at the LED in the back yet.
4. I know there is a 20+4 pin connections. I plugged in both the 20 and the 4 pin connectors. Look up the power supply. If you look at the 20 part, of the 20+4 pin connection, you will see somewhere that there is no pin in one of the slots. My motherboard does not follow that order. It just has connections in all 24pins.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Thanks for the big list of troubleshooting solutions.
1. It is non modular
2. My speakers are off, So I think it's from the power supply.
3. To be specific about the beeping, think like a quarter beat nine times. After that I shuts off. I have not seen what happens if I leave it on thought. I have not looked at the LED in the back yet.
4. I know there is a 20+4 pin connections. I plugged in both the 20 and the 4 pin connectors. Look up the power supply. If you look at the 20 part, of the 20+4 pin connection, you will see somewhere that there is no pin in one of the slots. My motherboard does not follow that order. It just has connections in all 24pins.
I don't mean actual speaker, there's a mini-speaker meant for alerts only connected in the small pins at the bottom left of the motherboard (next to the regulatory capacitors at the corner, usually just a tiny one about half a cm big hanging there but on older computers it used to be much bigger and mounted on the case itself on stock builds). Anyway, does the computer appear to be running if you leave it be? If not getting a display, but is running, then leave speakers on, if it boots into the OS and you hear the startup sound, then the PSU doesn't give enough power to your GPU, meaning faulty PSU. If it just runs, leave the case open and then look at the fans. If they are all spinning at proper speeds (hard to know without experience, but try to tell), then it means it's booted into the BIOS due to part failure. If the fans don't spin as they should (during startup fans always spin at full speed until BIOS settings are loaded so you should be able to take your time and see), then it's a faulty PSU for sure (usually it's the CPU fan spinning for a bit, stopping or heavily slowing down and starting again). That last one is the easiest way to tell if PSU needs replacing. Finally, if you can tell me exactly which pin it is, then I can tell you if it matters or not. Hold the connector facing towards you, with the 4 part being on the top, then tell me which side and which pin it is from the bottom upwards. Also, check if your old PSU was missing a pin or not there. SOME PSUs instead of having one cable go in each pin, have two cables go in the same pin leaving one pin unattached, EVGA does that often, so make sure that's not the case and we are looking into the wrong issue too:P

blockman765

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean actual speaker, there's a mini-speaker meant for alerts only connected in the small pins at the bottom left of the motherboard (next to the regulatory capacitors at the corner, usually just a tiny one about half a cm big hanging there but on older computers it used to be much bigger and mounted on the case itself on stock builds). Anyway, does the computer appear to be running if you leave it be? If not getting a display, but is running, then leave speakers on, if it boots into the OS and you hear the startup sound, then the PSU doesn't give enough power to your GPU, meaning faulty PSU. If it just runs, leave the case open and then look at the fans. If they are all spinning at proper speeds (hard to know without experience, but try to tell), then it means it's booted into the BIOS due to part failure. If the fans don't spin as they should (during startup fans always spin at full speed until BIOS settings are loaded so you should be able to take your time and see), then it's a faulty PSU for sure (usually it's the CPU fan spinning for a bit, stopping or heavily slowing down and starting again). That last one is the easiest way to tell if PSU needs replacing. Finally, if you can tell me exactly which pin it is, then I can tell you if it matters or not. Hold the connector facing towards you, with the 4 part being on the top, then tell me which side and which pin it is from the bottom upwards. Also, check if your old PSU was missing a pin or not there. SOME PSUs instead of having one cable go in each pin, have two cables go in the same pin leaving one pin unattached, EVGA does that often, so make sure that's not the case and we are looking into the wrong issue too:P
From the bottom of the 20 pin connector (4pin on the top) It's on the 5th row on the right

From the bottom of the 20 pin connector (4pin on the top) It's on the 5th row on the right
Let me correct what I previusly said. I looked at google images assuming that they were the same. After I took the cable out, it turns out it's the 20th pin.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

Let me correct what I previusly said. I looked at google images assuming that they were the same. After I took the cable out, it turns out it's the 20th pin.
So the pin is not the issue then? Alright. Check the fans as I suggested then and tell me if they spin properly. If they don't, you got a bad PSU most likely.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny