Stupid backups work only once

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Melee54, Mar 15, 2009.

Mar 15, 2009

Stupid backups work only once by Melee54 at 3:58 AM (1,570 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Melee54
    OP

Member Melee54 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't get what the problem is. I use my friend's laptop to burn backups, and they work fine.

However, for ALL of the backups that I burn using my own PC, the backups work perfectly only ONCE. Then I can never load them again. I either get a disc read error, or a green screen.

Is it my burner, even though it clearly worked the first time?

Using Verbatim DVD-Rs.

Thanks...

2. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    reinstall your cIOS again , and burn Verbatim at x4 speed only [​IMG] good luck

3. Melee54
    OP

United States
    That's exactly what I did a few days ago... Same results.

I always burn at the lowest speed I can, which is 4x.

Strange.

4. Heran Bago

Member Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

United States
    The Wii drives scuffs my games a little bit sometimes and the only solution is wiping the disc with a microfibe cloth.

5. innercy

Member innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

it happened to me cus i use cheap branded dvd-r. never happened with verbatim.. hm. u need to test using different burner.
    btw, u use nero or imgburn?

6. BIG MOE

Member BIG MOE ๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™

Syria
    run a drive cleaning disc to clean the laser lances of your drive and see if that works [​IMG]

7. richy

Newcomer richy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    So basically you're saying that if you use one of your discs and burn it on your friend's PC the burn will be fine whereas if you burn it on your PC the disc only seems to work once... right?

If that's the case then it's got to be something to do with the burning process. Have you tried checking the quality of the burn using DVDinfo Pro? (PI, PO, jitter tests section)

My burns come out at with a quality rating of 97/98% every time and I've not had any issues with them. I think you'll find a difference between the discs burned on your mate's PC and the ones you're doing. If you do then it's your burner or something that's causing you the grief. Might have to resort to burning everything on your mate's if you don't fancy getting a new one? Another possibility is that you need to update your burner's firmware. I used to get problems on an old burner and once I'd updated it my burns were fine.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

8. SoLuckys

Member SoLuckys GBAtemp Regular

Cyprus
    maybe is your burner. I never goona use imgburn again or ashampoo cos it gives me a DVD intendify error or a 324 error. I prefer NERO

9. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    Why burn at 4X when you can burn at 16X?

I've burned everything at 16X and have gotten zero disc errors on EVERYTHING I have burned: ISOs, Data DVDs, DVDs, etc...

10. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    And here we go again with the Speed-Discussion... [​IMG]. I can only say for me that I burned Deadly Creatures at 8x and 4x. 8x was very noisy, 4x was realy quiet, but both worked...

@Topic: I would also say it's your Drive. And everything what you can do was said: Clean your Laser, burn at slow speed, use IMGBurn. If that don't work, maybe update the Firmware for the DVD-Drive? If nothing will work, I would start to think for a USB-Drive...

11. Melee54
    OP

United States
    I've got a CD Laser Lens cleaner that I bought years ago for my PS1. It's got little brushes on the bottom of the CD... Will that work on the wii without destroying it?... Or should I use that on my PC's burner?

I haven't checked the quality of my burns using that program... I'm not sure if there's a need, considering mine never work and my friend's always do. [​IMG]

I've already updated the firmware to my burner. I think I might just need a new one.

But I still don't see how they would work perfect the first time I play them, then just stop...

Also, I've tried Nero and Imgburn and ended up with the same results. I've got a "16x capable" burner, but if I burn anything faster than 4x, it will fail within seconds lol.

12. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    then you have a very crappy PC, some DVD's can support the writting below 8X, and verbatim has some bad quality productions, I bought one of those spindles, check the Disc ID of the DVD with ImgBurn and check that it is MCC 00..something, those are the real good quality Verbatims, if they are Disc ID: MBIPG101-R05-01, then they are made in India and they wont work, just like: Disc ID: RITEK-R05-01 made in taiwan, I had to change to Sony cause now I don't trust in verbatim anymore...!! [​IMG]

13. Melee54
    OP

United States
    I think I've got the good kind... "Manufacturer ID: MCC 03RG20"

I'm gonna try the laser lens cleaner on my PC.

But I'm cautious about using it on the wii. Is it safe?

14. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    I read that DVD cleaners do not work with the Wii.

Best to just just unscrew the case, get some rubbing alochol and some q-tips, and gently apply it onto the laser.

How to clean the laser:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=150846

15. richy

Newcomer richy Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    The discs you're using are exactly the same ones I've got (MCC 03RG20).

Also, I don't think your Wii needs its lens cleaned if the discs you've burned on your mate's PC work. The problem is not with your Wii, it's your burning. No other explanation. If you use ImgBurn (which I'd recommend) do you burn them at the slowest speed and, importantly, are you doing a verify as well?

16. Melee54
    OP

United States
    I do use IMGburn, and I burn at the slowest speed it will let me, which is 4x. However, verification never works. It freezes halfway through...

I need a new PC. [​IMG]