stuck finding proper firmware

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by magik0, Dec 31, 2010.

Dec 31, 2010
  1. magik0
    OP

Newcomer magik0 Newbie

Canada
    Does anyone know where I can find the proper firmware for this card?
    http://www.excheap.com/images/NEW-Packing-...-DS--1109-2.jpg

I was told it would work on 1.4.1. Every firmware I have tried gives an error about an error has occurred.
    I have been searching all over the forums, can not seem to find the same one.

Only 1 image of it was found on google images, perhaps I have a fake/clone?

The icon that shows up on the DSi is a green R4i icon.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thx!

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    News flash: The R4 team only made the R4.
    Any R4i, R4 red, R4 king, R4 fdhsfhjafh is a clone.
    And yes, the companies will lie to your face about it because they know you can't sue them.

If you're trying to update the cart to work on your DSi, you need to update it from another DSi. You don't just place the files on the cart, you have to start it and run the updater... but you can't do that from your DS since it won't start the cart in the first place.

You will need to use a DS, DS Lite, or DSi/Xl on firmware 1.3 or less in order to run the update.

3. magik0
    OP

Newcomer magik0 Newbie

Canada
    Thanks for the reply Rydian!

I will either buy another one that works on 1.4.1 or try and find someone with a 1.3 or lower DS to properly update this one.

What about the firmware files I Use though?

The packaging says www.hyper4i.com
    The actual card it's self says www.r4sdhc.com

Neither one have an actual picture of the card. Any ideas ?

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Your best bet is the site printed on the cart, but lots of clones can't actually update the bootloader (meaning you can't update it for 1.4.1, you need to buy a new card they put the newer bootloader in). Sometimes they'll give their latest system software the version number 1.4.1 to throw you off and think it's compatible so you buy it, too.

Just stay away from R4 clones in the first place. Both the Acekard 2i and the Supercard DSTwo can update their bootloaders. With the Acekard 2i you need to update it on another DS (like I said before), but the Supercard DSTwo can update itself even if the DSi/XL won't run it.

Here's my copy-paste comparing them.

[​IMG]
    • DS / DS Lite
      The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
    • DSi / DSi XL
      The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
    • Game Updates
      Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
    • SDHC
      SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
    • WiFi Update
      The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
    • Clean Mode
      The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
    • RTS
      The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
    • In-Game Guide
      You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
    • Slow Motion
      The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
    • In-Game Cheats
      The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
    • Special Homebrew
      The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
    • Battery Life
      Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

5. magik0
    OP

Newcomer magik0 Newbie

Canada
    The kernel images from the site printed on the card worked, on the packaging did not work. I tested it out on a old DS Lite, firmware v5.
    The card still does not work with 1.4.1, Just purchased another card that I know for sure works.

Thx for the help!

6. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    Kernel (also known as the menu or OS) is NOT the same thing as the firmware.
    The 1.4.1 'broke' practically all cards, some of the better made cards include an updatable firmware which can be used to bypass the 1.4.1 update. Check the site for your card to see if they have a 1.4.1 update, if they do you'll need to run it from a DS/DSLite or a DSi that your card WORKS on.

7. magik0
    OP

Newcomer magik0 Newbie

Canada
    Yeah forgot to add to my post, I did perform the supposed upgrade using an older DS lite. Continued to work on this DS no issue. The 1.4.1 DSi was still a no go. I gave in bought a different card online I know that works for sure. I wont be buying anymore of the local ones that are what I now know about.. Clone cards.

Thx!

BTW, Awesome profile pic for the avatar.