Hardware Stripped Screws

LuckyExploit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Didn't know that the New 3DS screws were cheaply made and so I stripped the two corner ones. ANyways to get them out and replace them with good ones? My main concern is getting them out.

PP_theSLAYER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Didn't know that the New 3DS screws were cheaply made and so I stripped the two corner ones. ANyways to get them out and replace them with good ones? My main concern is getting them out.

If you're able to unscrew and get the back cover off (I'm assuming those are the screws you're talking about),
turn the back cover over and gently (without destroying your back cover) slide out the C-clips.

The screws should be removable after that.

Reactions: Sonansune and Chary

LuckyExploit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're able to unscrew and get the back cover off (I'm assuming those are the screws you're talking about),
turn the back cover over and gently (without destroying your back cover) slide out the C-clips.

The screws should be removable after that.

It's the very back of the unit I need to take off.

PP_theSLAYER

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
It's the very back of the unit I need to take off.

If I'm getting this right, you're talking about the back-plate/battery cover.

As an additional point,
if you're unable to unscrew them,
you may need to use an accurate sized flat head screw driver to loosen them as much as you can,
plus/and/or use a small one to go slightly below the screw driver to pry it up/out a bit.

Once you can get enough contact space,
you'll need to use a small set of pliers to manually unscrew it, until you can remove your back-plate.

This process may damage the screw threading for that particular screw-hole,
and may scratch your back-plate if not done with care.

LuckyExploit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm getting this right, you're talking about the back-plate/battery cover.

As an additional point,
if you're unable to unscrew them,
you may need to use an accurate sized flat head screw driver to loosen them as much as you can,
plus/and/or use a small one to go slightly below the screw driver to pry it up/out a bit.

Once you can get enough contact space,
you'll need to use a small set of pliers to manually unscrew it, until you can remove your back-plate.

This process may damage the screw threading for that particular screw-hole,
and may scratch your back-plate if not done with care.

No not the back plate. the back of the unit. The one with six screws.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Rubberband on the tip of a screw driver. or when I didn't have the right torx bit for an Xbox I found heating the end of a ink pen tube and molding it to the screw works. if you're gunna trash em, I'd even suggest superglue.

Reactions: PP_theSLAYER

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

can you carve a new screwdriver slot using an exacto blade? alternatively, try putting the finest amount of super glue on the very tip of your screwdriver and press it against the screw. then wait for it to dry and carefully try to screw it out that way.

Reactions: WeedZ

LuckyExploit

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks guys. The screw driver rips right through the rubber band so that doesn't work. Attempted the super glue but it won't stick to the screw and come right off if you try and unscrew it. Can't fit an exacto blade in the tiny hole. pen end just strips.

Unfortunately I don't have a drill to try out that method. I think i'm boned here. Both stripped from turn one as if they were made out of soft clay. Never seen that even on cheap electronic trinkets. Very surprised to find them on a very expensive handheld.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Touch the screw head for 1.5 seconds with the tip of a soldering iron, then quickly insert your screwdriver. It should cone out easily and won't damage the screw or threading.

Note though that doing this multiple times or holding the soldering iron too long WILL damage the threading, this is a single use trick.

Reactions: WeedZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro