Stripped Screws

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by LuckyExploit, Nov 26, 2016.

1. LuckyExploit
    OP

LuckyExploit Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    Canada
    Didn't know that the New 3DS screws were cheaply made and so I stripped the two corner ones. ANyways to get them out and replace them with good ones? My main concern is getting them out.

2. PP_theSLAYER

PP_theSLAYER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2016
    Hong Kong
    If you're able to unscrew and get the back cover off (I'm assuming those are the screws you're talking about),
    turn the back cover over and gently (without destroying your back cover) slide out the C-clips.

The screws should be removable after that.

Ericjwg and Chary like this.
  3. LuckyExploit
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    Canada
    It's the very back of the unit I need to take off.

4. PP_theSLAYER

PP_theSLAYER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2016
    Hong Kong
    If I'm getting this right, you're talking about the back-plate/battery cover.

As an additional point,
    if you're unable to unscrew them,
    you may need to use an accurate sized flat head screw driver to loosen them as much as you can,
    plus/and/or use a small one to go slightly below the screw driver to pry it up/out a bit.

Once you can get enough contact space,
    you'll need to use a small set of pliers to manually unscrew it, until you can remove your back-plate.

This process may damage the screw threading for that particular screw-hole,
    and may scratch your back-plate if not done with care.

5. LuckyExploit
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    Canada
    No not the back plate. the back of the unit. The one with six screws.

6. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an enlightened being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    Rubberband on the tip of a screw driver. or when I didn't have the right torx bit for an Xbox I found heating the end of a ink pen tube and molding it to the screw works. if you're gunna trash em, I'd even suggest superglue.

PP_theSLAYER likes this.
  7. PP_theSLAYER

PP_theSLAYER Member

Newcomer
    Nov 18, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Yikes, those are a nightmare to get to.

I'll say its between drilling through the screw, applying some kind of paste over the head, and gluing the screw to something,
    as suggested by @WeedZ

WeedZ likes this.
  8. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    can you carve a new screwdriver slot using an exacto blade? alternatively, try putting the finest amount of super glue on the very tip of your screwdriver and press it against the screw. then wait for it to dry and carefully try to screw it out that way.

WeedZ likes this.
  9. LuckyExploit
    OP

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks guys. The screw driver rips right through the rubber band so that doesn't work. Attempted the super glue but it won't stick to the screw and come right off if you try and unscrew it. Can't fit an exacto blade in the tiny hole. pen end just strips.

Unfortunately I don't have a drill to try out that method. I think i'm boned here. Both stripped from turn one as if they were made out of soft clay. Never seen that even on cheap electronic trinkets. Very surprised to find them on a very expensive handheld.

10. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Touch the screw head for 1.5 seconds with the tip of a soldering iron, then quickly insert your screwdriver. It should cone out easily and won't damage the screw or threading.

Note though that doing this multiple times or holding the soldering iron too long WILL damage the threading, this is a single use trick.

WeedZ likes this.