twimbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi to all!

I would like to present to you StringTunerDS, a homebrew for tuning guitar and bass and detect the pith of a generic sound.

It can work in autodetect mode or it can be setted to detect a target frequence. It can also generate a tone for the choosen frequence.

I think it is a pretty gadget, not only useful for instruments tuning but also to play with sound pitch detection... try it!

You will find further information and download the program and the sources at

StringTunerDS at www.object65.it

Bye

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be so awesome if they could use this to tune Orchestra instruments like the Cello. (Yes, I play the Cello and I'm good at it
biggrin.gif
)

twimbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Raiyu245 said:
This would be so awesome if they could use this to tune Orchestra instruments like the Cello. (Yes, I play the Cello and I'm good at it
biggrin.gif
)

Try it and let me know! You can set note and octave as target... I try it with a synth and works for many instruments.

Bye

wakarukaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is one of the most useful homebrew apps I've come across! I knew tuning was possible after seeing the pitch detection in Band bros DX... but this is pretty amazing.

I hope to see it updated!
Some tips about the most optimal distance from the DS and positioning would be a great help!

V!olaPlayer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Raiyu245 said:
biggrin.gif
)

YESSS!!!! A fellow orch dork! I knew I'd find on one this board someday. =]

I play the viola. And quite well, too. 1st chair All County!

Anyway... THANKS for this! I needed to tune precisely; even though I have a good ear, sometimes I get off by not thinking music for a long time.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gapman416 said:
Raiyu245 said:
biggrin.gif
)

YESSS!!!! A fellow orch dork! I knew I'd find on one this board someday. =]

I play the viola. And quite well, too. 1st chair All County!

Anyway... THANKS for this! I needed to tune precisely; even though I have a good ear, sometimes I get off by not thinking music for a long time.
Yeah..my teacher said I should try out for all state cause he knew I was definitely good enough (I'm 2nd chair only because 1st Chair happens to be a Senior while I'm a Junior
sleep.gif
)..but I'm too lazy to try out

twimbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
cory1492 said:
Curious if the DS' built in mic is good enough for it though...

At the beginning of the project I spent some time to investigate about DS mic... then I found some interesting settings in DSOrganize about sample resolution (now 12 bit) and amp gain. I had a problem starting and stopping samplig very fast using standard DevKitPro sampling routines but I solved it letting the sampling always on (I had strange 'rumors' that fake pitch detection algorithm). I don't know if mic can be handled better because mic is a DS area not too covered by homebrews.
Actually the only limit of the mic that I found is a not so good sensibility so you have to put the DS near to the guitar to obtain best results (look at the signal level indicator - I don't know if it is a DS limitation or only a lack of specifications! - ), also because the guitar waveform has a rapid decay.

Investigations continue... bye

wakarukaya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting findings! The only game I know of that uses pitch detection is BBDX, and they I think advise you to be a few inches away from the mic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/uc3tthE-mJ8?si=TPR_EM9yWrpcHHy7