Streetpass question.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by DisasterTheory, Dec 12, 2013.

1. DisasterTheory
    OP

DisasterTheory Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2013
    United States
    I just got my 4.4 XL and Gateway, is it safe to use streetpass? I just don't want to accidentally update my 3ds.

2. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    Streetpass is fine...
    ...Though, I do recall reading something about the 3DS automatically connecting to Nintendo Zone hotspots when your wireless is on, which connects you to the internet, downloading the update for you...
    But I'm not too sure about that. Perhaps someone else can clarify?

In any case, you are definitely safe if you do not setup your Wifi and don't come near any Nintendo Zone hotspots. Also, having a backup of your NAND will come in handy in case you do accidentally update yours 3DS.
    Also, accidentally updating your 3DS is... difficult, so to say. You can accidentally download the update, but installing it means that you'd have to accept their terms and confirm installing it. That's not something you do accidentally...

DisasterTheory likes this.
  3. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    some people told you can use parental controls to make sure you do not press the update button without entering the parental controls pin, but i don't remember in which versions this works...

4. Nurio

Nurio That Kirby fan

Mar 31, 2009
    Netherlands
    The Netherlands
    None of the versions Gateway/R4i/3DSLink/Orange3DS uses... That was changed in Firmwares 4.1+