Homebrew Stream a movie to my wii

spacedkadet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all,

First off i've tried searching but the info is spread about and patchy at best or i just missed it.

What I would like to achieve is the ability to play video files that wont work on the wii (i have a large custom wmv file in mind first off that wont play on the wii) via streaming from my pc.

What i have:

Wii: 4.1E with all the trimmings - mplayer, mplayerce, geexbox, all ios's trucharized 2+ 202 222 223 249 etc (basically fully modded and working great!)

PC: Windows 7 with anything needed although was looking at streaming with either winamp or VLC but i can get whatever is best.

What i would like:

I would love a bit of advice on which media player to use on both pc and wii and some help setting it up (im not bad at this stuff but this particular task is new to me).
I would be greatful as would my misses
smile.gif

Many thanks,

Lee.

murray42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not 100% sure about Windows 7, but I've had the SMB Share playing function in MPlayerCE with XP, Vista and my Slackware 12.2 box.

spacedkadet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well i guess i was hoping for a bit more from my net speed, just installed and setup orb but even a 300mb avi files is laggy as hell through it so i dont hold much hope for a 4.4gb wmv file lolz!

@murray42, i tried setting up smb but it seamed that adding my ip and folder in the smb.conf causes mplayerCE to freeze when selecting "open" from the menu
frown.gif
although i do need to test this further i am 100% sure i put the ip and folder in correctly. (mplayerce 0.75).

I have the wmv file on a dvd but its not recognised by either geexbox or mplayerce, what we need is videolan on the wii!!
biggrin.gif
if only i could code
frown.gif

computerboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
Windows 7 RTM build 7600 32-bit works fine with SMB for any Wii apps I tried (MPlayer CE, Wiixplorer and GUI WAD Manager)

Commadore64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
try TVERSITY
There is a NINTENDO WII setting (converts movie to FLASH media format)

The use your Wii Brower and go to
http://your-pc-name:49195
and start seelcting your movies or music or pictures or whatever

*you pc may need to be a little beefy because it si transcoding the movie
(converting AVI or MPG or DIVX or etc...to FLASH and simultanously letting you watch it)

Works great on my xbox 360 and iphone

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
spacedkadet said:
Well i guess i was hoping for a bit more from my net speed, just installed and setup orb but even a 300mb avi files is laggy as hell through it so i dont hold much hope for a 4.4gb wmv file lolz!

@murray42, i tried setting up smb but it seamed that adding my ip and folder in the smb.conf causes mplayerCE to freeze when selecting "open" from the menu
frown.gif
although i do need to test this further i am 100% sure i put the ip and folder in correctly. (mplayerce 0.75).

I have the wmv file on a dvd but its not recognised by either geexbox or mplayerce, what we need is videolan on the wii!!
biggrin.gif
if only i could code
frown.gif
you don't seem to be the only one with the smb freezing issue. take a look at the mplayer ce thread maybe you'll find a solution together.

am using win7 rc built 7127 x64 with smb shares and mplayer ce to stream my files over wifi and it's working like a charm.

spacedkadet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks screemer,

I didnt get alot of time to test last night as the misses was hogging the telly but she working tonight so ill be looking into it a bit more see if i can find why it freezes when i put the smb detials in the conf.

Dont like that "orb" much, great idea but very choppy playback even on simplist of video files.

MplayerCE looks like the best option if i can figure out how to configure it properly.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's no way you can stream a file of 4GB (what bitrate have you encoded it too, is it HD?), the wii's wifi is not that fast.

The only video files you can be sure will stream is the standard 700MB or 1400MB properly encoded divx/xvid files.

I suppose if not HD, it could be buffered prior to playing, but I don't think the wii has enough internal memory for that?

spacedkadet

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
madtamski said:
There's no way you can stream a file of 4GB (what bitrate have you encoded it too, is it HD?), the wii's wifi is not that fast.

The only video files you can be sure will stream is the standard 700MB or 1400MB properly encoded divx/xvid files.

I suppose if not HD, it could be buffered prior to playing, but I don't think the wii has enough internal memory for that?

yeah you are right, i was hoping for a bit much, but even streaming a 300mb tv show in xvid is laggy as hell. What we really need is a media player like videolan that will play whatever you chuck at it which hopefully mplayerCE will become as it evolves.

madtamski

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just had a little play around with Playon Media Centre.

Basically it's a bit like orb, but has been "Optimized" for games consoles.

...and guess what it now is wii compatible! (well sort of lol)

It allows you to stream movies/music from your PC.

Again you use the wii's internet channel to access it...it's better than orb, but still a little laggy for my liking! It does a little decoding on the PC side, so I guess that's why it's a little bit faster.

It's not free though
frown.gif

http://www.themediamall.com/

It's funny, you're looking at ways to stream from the pc -> wii and I'm looking for ways to stream from the wii > pc
laugh.gif

*edit* It's $40! That's bit much methinks. You can get $10 off btw if you use coupon code AUG10OFF, but only until the end of August.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yummy yummy :rofl2: