Gaming Strategy RPGS - Any for the first timer?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ive never really delved into the strategy RPG as of yet. Ive had a quick mess about on a couple but have always quit due to just being overwhelmed and confused about all the stats and how to play etc.

Ive got a PSP, and to be honest, I want to give one a proper go. But I want one that doesn't throw me in at the deep end and expect me to know what I'm doing.

So out of all the countless ones out there, which one is the most user friendly to newcomers?

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion would be a good starting point. I only had issues with a few levels just flying through the game.

Lurker2

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wild Arms XF and Jeanne d'Arc are very underrated SRPGs.
Disgaea, Tactics Ogre, Phantom Brave and Generation of Chaos aren't that good for first timers in my opinion but aren't to difficult to learn.

Reactions: Rasas

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jeanne D'arc was one of the ones i picked up and just got lost in 5 minutes. I will give FFT a go then. I like the idea of these games, just want one that give a little hand holding considering ive never played one before.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Jeanne D'Arc is possibly the best introduction to SRPG's on the PSP i can think of...it's not particularly hard and is relatively simple. In comparison FFT will eat you up and spit you out again.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Jeanne D'Arc is possibly the best introduction to SRPG's on the PSP i can think of...it's not particularly hard and is relatively simple. In comparison FFT will eat you up and spit you out again.
QFT.
Jeanne D'Arc is basically Fire Emblem but on the PSP. It also has the most end-game content I've ever encountered, it's quite astonishing really.
Excellent game, loved the cinematics too.

DaggerV

Archmagi of the Emerald Moon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played Jeanne D'Arc myself. FFT was really my into to Turned Based Strategy, and had no problem with it, but this is coming from someone who used to dominate ladders on Microsoft's old gaming ladder for RTS. I'll have to check it out if I can find it on the cheap.

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
Gungnir is not for the beginner SRPG player. It takes quite a bit of thinking and a lot of patience. Honestly I have no idea, or forgotten would be a better word, what constitutes an easy SRPG for the PSP since by the time I've gotten the PSP, it all seems easy to understand to me i.e not confusing.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
For the psp, it'll definitely be Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lion..

But i will recommend you try games on other systems also....the psp is pretty limited on good srpg's IMO.

The best one being Tactics Ogre:Let us Cling Together

Are you high? The PSP is jam packed full of SRPG's, many of which are at least decent. Plus chuck in the PSX SRPG's it can play and...... And FFT for someone who appears to have had trouble with Jeanne D'Arc and wanted a starter? So much misinformation in so few words.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Are you high? The PSP is jam packed full of SRPG's, many of which are at least decent. Plus chuck in the PSX SRPG's it can play and...... And FFT for someone who appears to have had trouble with Jeanne D'Arc and wanted a starter? So much misinformation in so few words.
lol

I tried ALL the srpgs the psp has to offer (all the english one's anyway) and found FFT:WoTL to be a good beginner srpg cause it also wraps the player into the genre. Other games like Disgaea, Phantom Brave and TO:LUCT are a bit more complicated...

Jam packed? Name 5 that doesn't have shallow gameplay/bland graphics/none-existent story or get so repetitive it's a chore to finish the game.

Personally i couldn't stand Jeanne D'Arc, it just didn't give me the satisfaction i wanted; gameplay and graphics-wise.

Haven't played much ps1 srpg, so can't really argue you there...i think it's mostly because i think the ps1 srpg's would be so old, having played a lot of newer srpg's, i would not really enjoy any ps1 srpg....If you think it's different and would like to recommend me a few ps1 sprg's, bring 'em on...i'm up for good srpg right now...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Name 5 that doesn't have shallow gameplay/bland graphics/none-existent story or get so repetitive it's a chore to finish the game.

Welcome to SRPGs, where everything has shallow gameplay/bland graphics/non-existent story and is repetitive.

Unless you're Valkyria Chronicles.

If you really enjoy grids then the PSP has tons of great grids but they're still grids. I mean the PSP probably has the best SRPG library out of all consoles honestly but it's still SRPGs.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
lol

I tried ALL the srpgs the psp has to offer (all the english one's anyway) and found FFT:WoTL to be a good beginner srpg cause it also wraps the player into the genre. Other games like Disgaea, Phantom Brave and TO:LUCT are a bit more complicated...

Jam packed? Name 5 that doesn't have shallow gameplay/bland graphics/none-existent story or get so repetitive it's a chore to finish the game.

Personally i couldn't stand Jeanne D'Arc, it just didn't give me the satisfaction i wanted; gameplay and graphics-wise.

Haven't played much ps1 srpg, so can't really argue you there...i think it's mostly because i think the ps1 srpg's would be so old, having played a lot of newer srpg's, i would not really enjoy any ps1 srpg....If you think it's different and would like to recommend me a few ps1 sprg's, bring 'em on...i'm up for good srpg right now...

FFT:WotL IS a PSX SRPG! And it's certainly not entry level because it can be much more of a challenge than others in the genre, has a relatively complex range of jobs and relies a bit upon being familiar with strategy employed in these games. In comparison Disgaea is a doddle and Jean D'Arc really is entry level. Phantom Brave is an anomaly because of the troop "summoning" mechanic.

Jeanne D'Arc is if anything a better experience than FFT for many...and i don't understand your complaints about graphics when it's certainly more attractive than WotL, and story when the plot is much less convoluted. Sure it has less intrigue but it's easier to empathise with the characters.

As for five decent SRPG's -

Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness
Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days
Phantom Brave The Hermuda Triangle
La Pucelle Ragnarok
Wild Arms XF
Jeanne D'Arc
FF WotL
Valkyria Chronicles II
R Type Tactics
Tactics Ogre
Queens Blade Spiral Chaos
Ragnarok Tactics

They're things off the top of my head that are interesting. That excludes about a billion others like

Gungnir
Blazing Souls Accelate
Spectral Souls Resurrection of the Ethereal Empire
Mytran Wars
Generation of Chaos
Aedis Eclipse
Field Commander
Warhammer 40000 Squad Command

Etc, etc, etc....as in there's still more on the PSP. When you take into account the PSP as a whole, then the PSP is NOT short of SRPG's in any way shape or form. Then you have the PSX variants on top of that....why wouldn't you class WotL as a PSX game when essentially that's all it is?

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
FFT:WotL IS a PSX SRPG! And it's certainly not entry level because it can be much more of a challenge than others in the genre, has a relatively complex range of jobs and relies a bit upon being familiar with strategy employed in these games. In comparison Disgaea is a doddle and Jean D'Arc really is entry level. Phantom Brave is an anomaly because of the troop "summoning" mechanic.

Jeanne D'Arc is if anything a better experience than FFT for many...and i don't understand your complaints about graphics when it's certainly more attractive than WotL, and story when the plot is much less convoluted. Sure it has less intrigue but it's easier to empathise with the characters.

As for five decent SRPG's -

Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness - Too repetitive and not rewarding enough for the time spent playing. This goes for all Disgaea
Disgaea 2 Dark Hero Days
Phantom Brave The Hermuda Triangle - Could not stand this game, the gameplay just wasn't for me
La Pucelle Ragnarok - is this in english?
Wild Arms XF - lol, this game sucks, it really does...and you know it too
Jeanne D'Arc - next
FF WotL - good game, but a bit imba
Valkyria Chronicles II - dislike this game's gameplay mechanics
R Type Tactics - I don't play aircraft-heavy games
Tactics Ogre - good game
Queens Blade Spiral Chaos - english please, come again. thank you
Ragnarok Tactics - didn't try this one yet. The gameplay seems slow and limited

They're things off the top of my head that are interesting. That excludes about a billion others like

Gungnir
Blazing Souls Accelate
Spectral Souls Resurrection of the Ethereal Empire
Mytran Wars
Generation of Chaos
Aedis Eclipse
Field Commander
Warhammer 40000 Squad Command

Etc, etc, etc....as in there's still more on the PSP. When you take into account the PSP as a whole, then the PSP is NOT short of SRPG's in any way shape or form. Then you have the PSX variants on top of that....why wouldn't you class WotL as a PSX game when essentially that's all it is?

The game was ported to the psp. When i talk about ps1 games, i mean the ones that wasn't ported.

As for your 5 srpgs, i would only give you Blazing Souls Accelate and Tactics Ogre.

I'll agree that the psp got a lot of good srpgs, maybe more so than any other console, but the lot of them are japan only and you gotta remember that.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
As for your 5 srpgs, i would only give you Blazing Souls Accelate and Tactics Ogre.

I'll agree that the psp got a lot of good srpgs, maybe more so than any other console, but the lot of them are japan only and you gotta remember that.

Given Blazing Souls Accelate is mediocre to awful (and dull to boot) and Jeanne D'Arc is a great original SRPG packed with charm, i just think that we're never going to agree on a standard of what's good or bad.

Also how can you hold the view that "the psp is pretty limited on good srpg's IMO." as well as "I'll agree that the psp got a lot of good srpgs, maybe more so than any other console". They're mutually exclusive opinions.

And Foxi no need to be afraid...you can be pleased i'm right...i don't bite! :P

Reactions: BortzANATOR

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.