Stock 3DS SD Card File/Folder Structure

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by MountainDew, Nov 24, 2016.

1. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    Hey guys, I recently bought a N3DS XL off of ebay that has 10.3.0-28U on it. I will receive it tomorrow. In preparation for downgrading/installing arm9loaderhax im preping my micro sd card. Can somebody please format a micro sd card in the 3ds and then upload it here for me? I just need the folder/file structure so I can put the nessarsary files in the right places.

2. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    It's not that simple, it's not plug and play, you have to fiddle around a little

3. Omegadrien

Omegadrien GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    Format your sd card (fat32), place all files needed for the downgrade. And tomorrow, just put your sd on the 3ds.

4. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    okay thats what ill do then. i just wanted the folders/files that are created when you format a card inside of the 3ds.

5. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    The 3ds will not format the sd card. It will create a NINTENDO 3DS folder that is unique for each 3DS (can't be shared).

6. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    ah i had no idea the folder/files created were unique...thats really odd i wonder why

7. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    So you can't just copy to a bunch of 3dses illegally
    Also if your hacking make sure you follow: https://plailect.github.io/Guide/ as it is the best cfw guide

Zidapi and kittensauce like this.
  8. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    yeah thats the guide i plan to follow/use tomorrow. quick question tho. when i complete the entire process(downgrade to 9.2, install arm9 etc) once all that is done i got 2 questions...#1 is it safe to update to the latest fw and is it necessary? #2 if i want to play a downloaded game online do i need to do anything special?

9. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    1) With a9lh you can update your sysnand safely to the latest firmware without losing your cfw or hack. However if you are unsure of updating when a new one comes out just check here and people will tell you.
    2) You don't need to do anything special just install the game (and update if their is one) and play online (you have to update your 3ds but as stated in point 1 it is safe).

10. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    so basically with a9lh installed i can always be able to update to latest firmware without the fear of losing cfw/homebrew? is it possible for nintendo to release an update that removes a9lh in the future and screws everyone? lol

11. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    They can patch a9lh yes but it comes at a major cost.
    You see a9lh is installed to a part of your 3ds that shouldn't be touched ever. Nintendo could edit that part of the system with an update but it bricks the 3ds. (rendering it useless) It would also brick 3dses that are not hacked at all. So if they try to patch it a huge percent of 3ds users would get their system bricked hacked or not. That is why it is generally said it is always safe to update with a9lh

They could also patch it with a new hardware update but you would need to buy the new console for it too patch.

12. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    ah i understand. so basically it's installed to the equivalent of lets say...C:\Windows\System32 and if touched will render the OS unable to boot.

13. MountainDew
    OP

MountainDew Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    as far as playing online goes...iv read that you need to inject a header into the game to play online? and if you use a "public" header that nintendo will ban you? can somebody please explain that whole process if it's needed to me? i am so confused by all of this. i have read SOOOO many different things that say do this or dont do that etc

Last edited by MountainDew, Nov 24, 2016
  14. Omegadrien

Nov 4, 2015
    France
    Pokéland
    If you are on cfw, you will install cia. With cia games, you can play online, without bans (except if you play a game before official release).
    The header have to be edited only if you use a flashcard (.3ds) like sky3ds.

Last edited by Omegadrien, Nov 24, 2016