Sterl500's Borderlands Review

Discussion in 'GBAtemp Reviews & Guides' started by Sterling, Jan 25, 2010.

Jan 25, 2010

Sterl500's Borderlands Review by Sterling at 2:02 PM (1,339 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Sterling
    OP

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to my first review, and hopefully not my last. I will be reviewing the game Borderlands. It's a self acclaimed RPS (Role Playing Shooter), and it doesn't disappoint. You can select four different classes: Soldier (Roland), Hunter (Mordecai), Siren (Lilith), Berserker (Brick). They each have a different skill set that reflects their action skill, and weapon type. While I won't go into specific detail on the skill sets, I will say that anyone can find their play type in these skills.

The story isn't much from what I have seen. It revolves around you trying to find a treasure trove called 'The Vault', and it's basically travel here, kill this, repeat. There is quite a bit of humor that can be found in this game (through the main story, and side quests), and can sometimes have you on the floor laughing.

The game play is an RPG style level up system with a level cap of 50. You can level up your weapon proficiencies to increase damage, accuracy, reload speed, etc. I have yet to reach a max weapon proficiency on any weapon, so I have no idea of the cap for that. The good thing is that there is a confirmed DLC coming out for increasing the level max.

The amount of items in this game is astonishing! Too many to count, and so many variations of the same gun/shield/mod!

The graphics are very nice looking (I believe the term for the graphics is cell shaded, but I don't know), and there is only a few graphical glitches.

The music is cool, there are a few memorable tracks, and quite a few recognizable melodies.

Breakdown:

Presentation: The box art has a Bandit Psycho on the front, and attests to how crazy awesome this game is! Menus are nice, and very simple to navigate.
    I have not found anything wrong with the HUD, and menus (not yet). 10/10

Graphics: Simply amazing, it isn't very realistic looking, and that is what makes it awesome (it can be quite convincing though). A few glitches here and there, but it doesn't detract too much.
    8/10

Story: I did not play Borderlands expecting a story to write home about. I played it for the RPG aspects. The story is fairly long, perhaps about 20 hours your first play through (if you don't get side tracked by farming and leveling). You can play through the story 2 times each character, and then after the second playthrough you can kill every boss. As I said before it a "Go here, kill that" type of story. 5/10

Music: A few memorable tracks (my favorite is the "moo" track from Skag Gully. 7/10

Game play: It's first person, and the controls are simple to use. The game has two player split screen, and online co-op with up to four players. I cannot fit all the game play assets here, as there are so many! There is a verses mode too, so you won't be disappointed. 10/10

Re playability: Holy shit! There is so much to do: Leveling, Harder story, extra characters, split screen, system link, online co-op/verses, farming weapons. This game will keep you coming back for more. There is more game here than you can waggle you thumbs at! 10/10

If you are a fan of RPGs odds are you will love this game. If you are a shooter fan more than likely you will like it too! Final Score
    : 9/10

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Heh, it's nice to see more 360/PS3 reviews on here, since the review section is mostly full of Wii/DS reviews (that's partially my doing). Good review, maybe just a few more decimal grades (like 9.5 or whatever).

3. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    What?

4. flameiguana

Member flameiguana that's not me

United States
    No it isn't. The camera is first-person.

And I know this isn't a professional review or anything, but don't say things like: "I believe the term for the graphics is cell shaded, but I don't know". Give it a little more research and polish to your writing.

I agree with your score on the story, it feels like there barely is one.

5. Shakraka

Member Shakraka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

Last edited by Shakraka, Oct 19, 2015
  6. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Overall isn't an average, it's how you feel the overall game should be. Most of the time people weigh gameplay and lasting appeal more than presentation and graphics.

7. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Thanks for the compliments Guild, your reviews have quite a bit of influence on mine. You're right too, I believe the X-Box 360 version deserves a 9 out of 10, just because I find re playability, and online more fun than an engaging story. I would however like to see the next Borderlands to have a nice story in addition to all the first had.

8. Jaems

Member Jaems GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    This game is awesome. Among my top 5 of 2009.

I'm still playing it to this day. Can't get enough of it.

9. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    Agree with your review, definitely a fantastic game. You could of spoke a bit more about the co op since it is one of the major parts of the game. Other than that, good review.

10. GameSoul

Member GameSoul youtube.com/variantdevil

United States
    I've been curious about this game, I just can't play it since I don't own an Xbox 360. I want to visit my cousin so I can play the 360 with him. [​IMG] I agree with bik on the Multiplayer, I wanted to know more about what you can do in it and how it works. This is still a great review though. I have some insight now.

EDIT: OH right, see ya around online. [​IMG]

11. Sterling
    OP

United States
    Thanks guys, if you want to know more about co-op, it's just basically playing through story mode, and DLC packs, farming, sparring, and leveling. [​IMG] All characters also have support skills for your team.

12. Leo Cantus

Member Leo Cantus So zeta slow!

United Kingdom
    I cant beat Bonehead, he's really hard. Could anybody help me with some co op (ps3)?