Stereograms

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Wizerzak, Dec 16, 2010.

Dec 16, 2010

Stereograms by Wizerzak at 5:31 PM (3,808 Views / 0 Likes) 39 replies

1. Wizerzak
    OP

Member Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

United Kingdom
    Can anyone else here see stereograms? They're my favourite type of 3D seeing as you need no glasses and, unlike a 3ds, you don't need to slide a switch to go back to 2D, just go back to looking normally.

My fav type of stereograms are the autostereograms:
    [​IMG]
    as fewer people can see them and any onlookers can't see what your seeing. (i also have one of these in my sig)

The other type is the stereo pairs like this: [​IMG]
    hich you merge the two images together, this way you can see it in either 2d or 3d.

It is possible to get videos of both types of stereogram but the stero-pairs are far more common.
    Autostereogram video:

Stereo-pair video:

2. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    Love stuff like this [​IMG]
    Although...I didn't really see anything with the snowman one. [​IMG]
    Say something...but dunno really what.

3. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I can see the autostereograms very easily. It takes me about 5 seconds to get the pic on average. The one you posted is two ostriches (or similar big birds) with a huge moon or sun on the left side. You need good eyes to see stereograms, my bro who has a weak left eye has never been able to see them, and still doubt that an actual 3D image is hidden in the pic, to this day.

I didn't know there were stereograms vids... I'll have to check them out.

The vid was alright, but a bit colorless, due to the use of "TV no-signal snow" as a background. But I guess it fits the theme of the snowman. For those wondering, the snowman loses his hat and picks it up twice, then throws a snowball, before running away terrified by a menacing ... (not telling you what. Watch it and find out by yourself.) [​IMG]

I thought about hiding this in a spoiler alert, but then, it doesn't spoil much if you can see it, and if you can't, it will just help you to see the 3D effect if you know what you're supposed to see.

Would be easier to see the vid in full screen, though, because the surroundings of the video window is distracting, when you're trying to focus on the 3D effects.

Best advice I can give to people new to stereograms: Don't look at your computer screen! Try to imagine it's just a window, and your looking through it to the other side. The 3D effect will magically appear. As I was saying, takes me just a few seconds with this technique.

4. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    cool i must have good eyes then cause i get the autostereograms almost instantly and the pairs (that lion one) in about 3 secs

5. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    I used to be able to see them, but now I can't.

I blame the internet for taking away my eyesight.

edit: I can see the pairs using the finger technique, but I can never keep focus.

6. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    The two lions are the wrong way round, and if you know how to, you can also invert the 3D image.

7. MadClaw

Member MadClaw GBAtemp Fan

United States
    WHOAH i didn't know this stuff was out there, 3D images, is this bad for my eyes? lol

8. Trollology

Banned Trollology Banned

Canada
    Can you teach me how to see the 3D in that first green picture you posted? [​IMG]

9. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    I like stereograms; I'm good with them too.

10. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    can't see anything [​IMG]
    My 3D experience with movies has also been really poor. Some people say they can always see the 3D effect, but I can't even with glasses. Sometimes it's there, and sometimes it's just 2D [​IMG]

11. Wizerzak
    OP

United Kingdom
    in the cinema its a different type of 3d you NEED glasses to view that in 3d

12. Dust2dust

Member Dust2dust GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    But it does take practice at first. You can also get very close to the image (like two inches from your screen) so your eyes are completely out of focus with the pic, then slowly step back, but don't let your eyes get a clear focus on the pic again, or you'll have to start over. Just imagine you're focusing on the wall behind your computer screen, but still looking at the monitor (as if it was a clear window). Practice makes perfect. It just takes me a few seconds.

13. scrtmstr

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I meant in the cinema, with those special glasses. Even with those on, sometimes the effect just disappears, and it's 2D or just very blurry. I've had this several times, and it's just me [​IMG]

14. Y05h1

Member Y05h1 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    I had two autostereogram books as a kid, loved them. It can take some practice to be able to see them... it can be easier for someone who isn't used to them to cross your eyes when looking at them, but this produces an inverted image. But, it lets you get the hang of it. The technique to see it properly is to essentially focus on a point beyond the image. One way is to stick your nose right up to it, without focusing on the image. Then, without adjusting your focus, slowly move your face away from it, until you see it.

Again, it takes practice.

Faulty glasses most likely... It depends on the cinema/technology they are using, but the glasses often have some sort of camera/sensor on them (not sure exactly what, but it's located on the bridge of the glasses). If you block it with a finger for example, the 3D effect turns off. And there might be faulty scenes too, when I was watching How to Train Your Dragon, a couple scenes (for some seconds) just turned blurry...

15. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    @Y05h1, the pictures of the lions are the wrong way round, the 3d is inverted.

16. Y05h1

Member Y05h1 GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Ahh, looks like you're right. The lion is sunken in rather than on top... took me a while to notice.

Anyhoo, here are some easy ones to get started with, for those that are new to autostereograms:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not the coolest, but they aren't as difficult to get a grasp of. Once you get it right, you should see the fish and coins in separate layers.

17. bnwchbammer

Member bnwchbammer GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I hate these.
    Cuz I can't see them.
    I have poor eyesight in my left eye, so that could by why. I understand the technique and everything, but can't see it at all. I'm also color blind, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

18. shlong

Member shlong in memoriam of gravitas

Italy
    Reading back, my poor eyesight in both eyes would explain why I have difficulty with these [​IMG]
    -8.50 in my left eye, -8.75 in my right. :3

19. Stephapanda

Member Stephapanda Clover's Wife

United States
    I seriously cannot figure out how to make these work for me.

20. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    i can see crosseyed sterograms but i have no clue on the big auto sterogram