Gaming Steps to having a Modded PSP (Slim)

ChiddaPotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok im a real newb at PSP hacking. Im going to be getting one soon. So i need some help on modding.

Im pretty sure i'll be getting a PSP Slim version.

1. Do I need a Pandora Battery/Magic Memory Stick/Custom Firmware?
2. How do I do this?
3. Is there a chance the PSP will get corrupted/broken?
4. Is it true I need another PSP which is a phat version to get Pandora Battery?
5. Do I have to buy a a Pandora Battery? And a Magic Memory Stick?

I really need some help here people, Im too confused
wacko.gif

I just want to know how to play backup games, download emu's on my PSP, play homebrews (ex. Youtube), All those feature goodies.
yaypsp.gif

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) You'll need a Pandora battery + magic memory stick in order to get CFW (custom firmware)
2.) Get a pandora battery + magic memory stick
3.) Yes, but with the pandora battery + magic memory stick you can fix it yourself
4.) No, not true, as long as you get a pandora battery + magic memory stick.

edit: as for backups, just stick the ISO's in your ISO folder at the root of your memory stick once you get CFW.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Try checking all the stickies posted in this forum or the search tool as this has been covered more than enough times already.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check the stickies, especially the one that says "Guide for Newcomers" or something. Read it ALL. It answers any questions you have.

EDIT: Read this:

http://www.blastprocessing.net/?page_id=20

That answers your questions. Once you are ready to mod your psp, I recommend using Ediblebird's guide (also in the the stickies) as it is easier than the one I posted above. The reason I posted the one above is because it details a lot of the questions you asked, and prepares you for what you are going to do

ChiddaPotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah thanks Solange82200, i have been reading that. It does answer most of my questions but just one more thing i still cant understand. What is a Magic Memory Stick?
Thanks to everyone though!

ChiddaPotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok sweet.
I guess i got everything covered. Ill be trading in my DS for a PSP, and im buying a Pandora Battery + 4GB Memory Stick on Dealextreme. Can NOT wait
yaypsp.gif

Am I making the right choice here?

Twiffles

танковые победы
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hmmm, I'd keep the DS and buy a used PSP or something. PSP doesn't have a wide selection of "epic win" games.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Chidda, some people may disagree, but I'm very wary of those fake memory sticks on Deal Extreme. They are definitely fake, and known to be slow (also there is a chance you wont be able to make a magic memory stick out of it). A slow memory stick can cause some compressed games to have long loading times, and possibly freezing and lagging. I would get the pandora battery that dealextreme has for 10 dollars, but get the memory stick somewhere else....

ChiddaPotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Twiffles: But thing is my parents don't want me wasting money because i just upgraded my PC a few days ago. I had to trade. Ill probably just use an emulator for the DS i guess
tongue.gif

Solange82200: I guess your right, ive seen some reviews and comments saying the exact same thing. I guess ill go with the Pandora Battery and probably a Memory Card Stick somewhere else. What place do you recommend to get one? Sorry for asking.

EDIT: One more thing. Which one would you recommend? PSP Phat or Slim? Because one guy is offering me an already modded psp phat for a Nintendo DS Lite.

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get the slim if you can afford it, it is so much sleeker, faster, more features, etc. You just missed some good sales on memory sticks, I have the Lexar Platinum II 4 gig and the Sandisk Ultra II 4 gig. I got the Lexar for $18.99 (after a 17 dollar rebate). Even without that sale though, this is the cheapest one I can find, and it is one of the fastest sticks out there:

http://www.frys.com/product/5211767

Not sure if they deliver to Canada though. Also, check this thread out for other card speed tests:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=92177

ChiddaPotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
K i god everything understood.

1. Install CFW
2. Put the correct files in the MS (i have them)
3. Have a Pandora Battery to hack and unbrick the PSP.

Sweet, i hope i understood everything. But the guy just wants a DS Lite from me. So that means ill still have my R4 + 1GB + NDS Case. What should i use that for?

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess step one in getting a modded psp is to ignore the stickies and just post the same newbie questions (or variations there of). I kid, really I kid.

Shyn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ChiddaPotta said:
K i god everything understood.

1. Install CFW
2. Put the correct files in the MS (i have them)
3. Have a Pandora Battery to hack and unbrick the PSP.

Sweet, i hope i understood everything. But the guy just wants a DS Lite from me. So that means ill still have my R4 + 1GB + NDS Case. What should i use that for?

Put "Install CFW" as #3 on your list, if it is going in order, then you're good.

As for your R4, save it for now. You might end up getting a DS later on, so it will save you some money down the line.

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would try to sell the R4 to a noob who doesn't know any better for at least what I bought it for ($50) and turn around and buy a quality budget cart for half the price from Dealextreme and use the other half to buy a Memory Stick Pro Duo. But that's just me.

hippyharry

Trophies
XP
Country
ill say this the now, so you know.

If you follow the TOTALnewbie guide thats available, you may come across this part.

When the pandora battery is entered into the psp with the memory stick already in, it will automatically boot up. It MAY be a black screen. If it is, do not worry, just push square (all this is doing is making a dump of your nand onto your memory card for backup measures) and you will see the memory card light flicker for about 10-20secs then the PSP will turn itself off.

Turn it back on, and again, the screen MAY be black. Just hit X and it will start installing what is needed. Again, once thats done, it will switch itself off.

Take out the battery and stick in your normal battery, or put in the AC adapter and turn the PSP back on.

I freaked out when i had just a black screen, i didnt know that it did it all in the background. So, this was just a warning not to freak out!
smile.gif

ChiddaPotta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hippyharry said:
ill say this the now, so you know.

If you follow the TOTALnewbie guide thats available, you may come across this part.

When the pandora battery is entered into the psp with the memory stick already in, it will automatically boot up. It MAY be a black screen. If it is, do not worry, just push square (all this is doing is making a dump of your nand onto your memory card for backup measures) and you will see the memory card light flicker for about 10-20secs then the PSP will turn itself off.

Turn it back on, and again, the screen MAY be black. Just hit X and it will start installing what is needed. Again, once thats done, it will switch itself off.

Take out the battery and stick in your normal battery, or put in the AC adapter and turn the PSP back on.

I freaked out when i had just a black screen, i didnt know that it did it all in the background. So, this was just a warning not to freak out!
smile.gif

Ok sweet thanks. Im following this one though: http://www.blastprocessing.net/?page_id=20. Also, so you guys are saying i should save my R4 so I might end getting a DS later? But, im pretty sure ill never get a ds back.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @DinohScene hi