SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
OP
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I was just thinking about something I havent read anything about yet but I guess it is obvious but I still have to ask!

for example in 3d games as Zelda OoT it would be a shame if the 3DS screen wouldnt show a stepless 3D. But in 2D games like NES and SNES games it wouldnt matter if it just had like 5 steps or were stepless. Any information or thoughts about this?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The games will be stepless, software-wise. Now, if I understood it correctly, the 3DS screen can show 800 "real" levels of depth (it's down to the screen resolution), but there are tricks that allow even more levels in between, so there's enough levels of depth for it to appear completely stepless.

EDIT: it's 800 layers, not 480.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Inb4

"WHAT'S STEPLESS 3D??"

.........That was an inb4 for myself, so...what is it? :B I'm not familiar with the term.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3d "steps" refers to whether you can see individual levels.

-thinks- I don't have an image so I'll describe it like this. Pretend there is a room with 10 objects in it... This room is being rendered on display in a "stepped" situation with 3 levels. 1 foreground, one background, and one in between. Those 10 items would thus have to appear very close (foreground), very far (background), or directly in-between the two.

This wouldn't be so bad if all the items were either right on the camera, all the way at the end, and directly in the middle... but most of the time, items thrown about the room won't be so orderly and fit on "levels". You'll have some items that are much closer to the front than middle and vise versa... In a stepped system though it doesn't matter where they are in the middle of the room, they'd all look like they were exactly in the middle do to the limited number of "steps"

Another (simpler) way to describe it... A step-less system is one that doesn't have "layers" of 3d, it appears natural and objects have true depth and roundness... Stepped or layered 3d is more a collection of flat 2d surfaces placed in rows. Think like the original Doom game. There were no 3d models, but it gave off a sense of depth because the 2d images moved in a 3d plane.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i thought it was gonna be a DDR rip-off
wtf.gif

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
it is not 'stepped'.
It is stereoscopic parallax 3d. giving the illusion of true 3d the same way your eyes do.

For example, take a 3d pic with the 3ds, the background will look exactly as far away as it was from the foreground due to parallax effect tricking your eyes to create the depth. Not hardware.
No steps. Just 2 slightly different pics of the same scene. Can be as deep as space. Resolution of 3ds is the only limit.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
lostdwarf said:
it is not 'stepped'.
It is stereoscopic parallax 3d.
That doesn't exclude steps/discrete levels of depth. "Stereoscopic" only means "two pictures taken at a distance", and "parallax barrier" is a method of hiding the picture intended for one eye from the other eye.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
I've just been to cinema to see "Jackass 3D" and lots of scenes definitely looked layered, despite they've been definitely shot with a 3D camera.

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
Veho said:
lostdwarf said:
it is not 'stepped'.
That doesn't exclude steps/discrete levels of depth. "Stereoscopic" only means "two pictures taken at a distance", and "parallax barrier" is a method of hiding the picture intended for one eye from the other eye.
Ok well done for pointing out the obvious. The 3ds 3d is not stepped. It can be made to look that way. But why bother? Iwata has said if a developer is making a game in 3d space then they only have to add second camera and the 3d elbow grease work is all done. No stepped layering, no front middle back, just true, uninterupted 3d.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
pachura said:
I've just been to cinema to see "Jackass 3D" and lots of scenes definitely looked layered, despite they've been definitely shot with a 3D camera.
The 3D should be more akin to the 3D Toy Story movies, since for that they went in the movie source files and rendered it from two different angles. Which is exactly what the 3DS will be doing. And that didn't look stepped at all.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lostdwarf said:
Veho said:
lostdwarf said:
it is not 'stepped'.
Ok well done for pointing out the obvious. The 3ds 3d is not stepped. It can be made to look that way. But why bother? Iwata has said if a developer is making a game in 3d space then they only have to add second camera and the 3d elbow grease work is all done. No stepped layering, no front middle back, just true, uninterupted 3d.

Hostile much? And was it that hard to say that from the beginning of your arguement, if that's indeed what you intended to say to begin with and not you just hastily trying to cover up your ignorance by trying to make someone else "look stupid" in your eyes.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
lostdwarf said:
Veho said:
lostdwarf said:
it is not 'stepped'.

Hostile much? And was it that hard to say that from the beginning of your arguement, if that's indeed what you intended to say to begin with and not you just hastily trying to cover up your ignorance by trying to make someone else "look stupid" in your eyes.

calm down, sally.

this is the internet, i've seen people get shot for less!

lostdwarf

Trophies
Website
www.rockstarleeds.com
XP
Country
[/quote]

Ignorant i am not, hostile i am not.
Know what i am talking about, yes i do.
if you dont know what you are talking about, just read, all the info you need is freely available online and is simple to find in a google search. I do not want anyone to feel stupid, that is your problem if you do.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I'm just saying, "stereoscopic parallax" and "stepped" are unrelated. Saying "it's not stepped, it's stereoscopic parallax" is like saying "it's not yellow, it's square." One does not exclude the other. Therefore, there's no point in bringing it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey