1. MarioKartFan

MarioKartFan GBAtemp Fan

Algeria
    Any interest in adding save state support? Not at all authentic but a nice to have.

Robz8, banjo2 and wavemotion like this.
  2. wavemotion

OP wavemotion GBAtemp Regular

United States
    There is always interest :)

There was some Save Support in the original Stella code that was mostly disabled and I've removed it as part of my cleanup but it could be added back. Lots of other pressing priorities on this stuff first, however!

Robz8, alexander1970 and banjo2 like this.
  3. MarioKartFan

MarioKartFan GBAtemp Fan

Algeria
    @wavemotion Now that you have more or less conquered the Atari on NDS would you have any interest in porting these to the 3DS? They all run great under TwiLightMenu but it would be lovely to take advantage of the higher resolution of the 3DS.

wavemotion likes this.
  4. wavemotion

United States
    Interestingly enough, for the 2600, the higher resolution would only hurt. The specs on the Atari 2600 are 320x192 though most games don't use all 320 as the older TVs would often cut them off at the sides... the 192 was also a guideline to avoid cutting off the tops and bottoms on some ancient TVs (remember, they were still dealing with a load of Black/White TVs in 1977) - but most games utilized more than 192 and it was generally for sky/ground effects that didn't affect gameplay.

So for the 2600, the 3DS native 320×240 resolution won't buy much as the DS/DSi 192 pixels is sufficient to show the games 1:1 on the 2600. Mostly you would just end up with black bars top and bottom on the 3DS (like watching old widescreen DVDs on a 4:3 TV).

Plus, I don't own a 3DS so it would be hard to test :)

VinsCool, Robz8, banjo2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. wavemotion

United States
    Version 1.9: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS

Screen scaling/tweaks to more than 400 games to make them look as good as possible on the DS screen.
    AR/Starpath Supercharger games got a nice 10% speedup with some optimization - more of those games are now playable.
    General cleanup and polish ... pretty happy with this one now!

Indy13, banjo2, Robz8 and 4 others like this.
  6. VinsCool

VinsCool Persona Secretiva Felineus

Canada
    Really happy to see so much Atari love on the tiny DS.
    Been enjoying the Atari consoles and computers a lot more lately so this is absolutely lovely.

7. wavemotion

United States
    Not ready for a new build, but the nightly check-in has a new build with improved Starpath Supercharger support. That stuff is tricky and I'm working on getting the games running at full-speed. With the latest check-in, half of the games run at full speed and the other half run close enough to be playable... I think the only real holdout is "The Official Frogger" which is still running down in the mid 40 FPS and needs some help... It's been a significant effort getting it this far but I think it's worth it. Although the Supercharger (which allowed playing Atari games from data stored on Cassette Tapes) only has a library of 12 games, many of them were shining examples of what was possible on the system.

[​IMG]

Last edited by wavemotion, Jan 25, 2021
  8. wavemotion

United States
    Version 2.0: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS

Okay, significant improvement on the Starpath (Arcadia) Supercharger front and the emulation in general. I discovered something important - I had gone a little hog-wild using (otherwise unused) Video Memory for various things because it's faster (not quite as fast as the "Tightly Coupled Memory" but there's a ton more of the Video Memory to play with). This is true ONLY if you are accessing the memory in 16-bit (or 32-bit) chunks... 8-bit access is actually not all that efficient. I had put some of the scanline buffers into video memory and it was only a "win" in emulation speed if the game had otherwise simple backgrounds where I could draw in chunks of 16 or 32 bits - games like Adventure were benefiting from this. But simple background games were all running way faster than necessary anyway... I was so fixated on getting Adventure to run full-throttle over 150FPS that I didn't stop to realize that it came at the expense of the more complicated games that were not yet achieving 60FPS. So I reversed that course - and now Adventure (which had seen peaks of 155FPS) is now running about 142FPS - still more than 2x what is needed. But much harder to run games like Phaser Patrol and The Official Frogger have gone from low 40FPS to 50+FPS and that's a huge win as it now makes them playable (though just barely).

Anyway, enough rambling. Version 2 is here! More than 800 games (original games + homebrews) are in the compatibility list now.

Last edited by wavemotion, Jan 26, 2021
    Indy13, VinsCool, banjo2 and 6 others like this.
  9. ber71

ber71 GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    One curious thing.
    Every nds you make has this titleID: 0004800023232323
    which displays as '####'.
    I believe that having a proper, separated titleID for your excelent stellads, a5200ds and a7800ds ports, is somewhat desirable to avoid problems.

Robz8 and wavemotion like this.
  10. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL
    Developer

United States
    Which is why I gave StellaDS a proper ID in the first place.
    Unfortunately, using a proper ID breaks compatibility on certain flashcard kernels, so it got reverted.

Last edited by Robz8, Jan 26, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Improved, Stella,