Version 5.0 released: https://github.com/wavemotion-dave/StellaDS
V5.0 : 27-Sep-2022 by Dave Bernazzani (wavemotion)
- Added new bankswitching scheme: X07 (Stella's Stocking).
- Improved 4K/2K driver to squeeze out a couple more frames of performance.
- New special F8 driver to support more 8K games on the DS-Lite.
- Lots of cleanup across the board in the database to make more games playable.
This is a big one! One more bankswitching scheme added but the biggest improvements come in an overhaul of the non-banking driver (2K/4K) to squeeze out another 3-5% speed which renders more games playable on the DS-PHAT/LITE. Games like Chopper Command which were running at 55FPS are now sustained 58 with gusts to 59. Other games like Pitfall and Megamania which were close
are now sustained 60FPS. Even better is a new F8 driver which renders about 25 of the 8K bank-switched games playable on the older hardware. For the first time you can enjoy Beamrider at a sustained 60FPS!
I also went through ROMHUNTER's well-curated NTSC roms - almost 1200 of them to ensure they each play properly. With a couple minor exceptions (i.e. games requiring the MindLink controller) - everything is playing great.
With the DSi running at the faster 2X CPU speed (via Twilight Menu++ or Unlaunch or similar) - virtually the entire non-ARM-assisted library of 2600 games is at your command.
Another big feature is that with the new speed I can finally enable 'Flicker Free' mode on a few key games on the DS-PHAT/LITE. I've done this for Missile Command, Asteroids and Yar's Revenge. Those should look stunning on the new version for older hardware users.
Enjoy - almost 2 years in the making and the highest level of compatibility yet.
- not sure if/when you pick up new versions of the pack-in emulators for TWL++... but this one has undergone some real testing and is quite clean. Feel free to include at your leisure.