OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
Hello!
As title says, is there any game, homebrew app or port of game for Nintendo Switch that can be played in local multiplayer/co-op with PC (because Steam Deck will be portable pc, lol)?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not gonna be naming specific games, which isn't very helpful, but...

A few big-name commercial games support cross-play between platforms.

The only obvious homebrew I can think of off the top of my head is that at least one or two of the Doom/Quake engine ports support online networking compatible with the same versions on PC.

I don't know if Yuzu or the other one support local network play with a real console, but that'd be a fun one.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think Nintendo would put the kebash on any kind of local wireless cross-play with PC on commercial games. Has to go through the internet and therefore usually NSO for that. Maybe a Switch emulator on PC could fake the protocol somehow.

Gronbar

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland
I think Nintendo would put the kebash on any kind of local wireless cross-play with PC on commercial games. Has to go through the internet and therefore usually NSO for that. Maybe a Switch emulator on PC could fake the protocol somehow.
Don't need to go onlline for that. Maybe Wi-fi could handle that.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
1) let steam deck emulate a switch and then use lan-play
2) games like fortnite, rocket-leauge, dead by daylight and more have crossplay
3) use parsec or whatever else there is to stream inputs and display to a different device

no homebrew will just allow you to play counterstrike or portal or whatever natively together.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3) use parsec or whatever else there is to stream inputs and display to a different device

no homebrew will just allow you to play counterstrike or portal or whatever natively together.

The steam deck is much better value than the switch, but it is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate it well.
The fact microsoft can release a next gen console & have it cheaper than nintendos OLED screen model, sporting the same hardware as 4 years ago, shows just how bad nintendo pricing is.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't need to go onlline for that. Maybe Wi-fi could handle that.

What I'm saying is that Nintendo will not sell a commercial game that connects directly to PCs via local wi-fi. Even if its technically possible I am confident they would block it. So realistically the only way this might work is if your PC is emulating the Switch and said emulator has the local ad-hoc protocol figured out.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The steam deck is much better value than the switch, but it is nowhere near powerful enough to emulate it well.
The fact microsoft can release a next gen console & have it cheaper than nintendos OLED screen model, sporting the same hardware as 4 years ago, shows just how bad nintendo pricing is.
??? there are android emulators that can emulate the switch. now compare your phone with the steam deck and ask yourself if your phone has the same power than the steam deck. doubt it.

i think you seriously underestimate the steam deck hardware and what difference parts make that have been developed more recently, even if the numbers (of cores for example) are not impressive.

Also its not just raw "power" that makes one system emulate another well. When emulating a console like NES, N64 or anything else from that era, the host systems never had to care much about optimization because the jumps in "power/performance" are just extremly huge and the operations of said console do not require "much". We now live in a time where developing, just like the hardware itself, gets more refined and we try to get every drop of juice out of it. it makes a huge difference. those claims of "you need powerfull hardware" are still true but are from a time when pcs couldnt emulate xbox 360's. that time is long gone.

Last edited by Slluxx,

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

It wont be perfect, but youd be suprised how far the steam deck can go. For reference, I ran some of games are max/near max speed ona 3770k + gtx 660, and my laptop is a 4720hq + 960m(essentially 750ti). The Zen 2 based cpu and RDNA based GPU is on paper better than my pcs.

Same core config, (4c/8t) but Zen 2 IPC > Ivybride/Haswell IPC. RNDA2 igpu has already shown more performnace than a 750ti, judging by the settings and framerate Linus Tech Tips got in doom, So its 100% faster in gpu.

Last edited by GBADWB,

Gronbar

OP
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Poland

What I'm saying is that Nintendo will not sell a commercial game that connects directly to PCs via local wi-fi. Even if its technically possible I am confident they would block it. So realistically the only way this might work is if your PC is emulating the Switch and said emulator has the local ad-hoc protocol figured out.

Yeah, but i mean games like Unravel 2, Overcooked or Rayman with local co-op. I'm not interested with games like Fortnite or something. I was thinking that someone figure out in homebrew scene solution for local co-op PC with Switch.

Slluxx

GBATemp Mayor
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah, but i mean games like Unravel 2, Overcooked or Rayman with local co-op. I'm not interested with games like Fortnite or something. I was thinking that someone figure out in homebrew scene solution for local co-op PC with Switch.
then solution 1 or 3 are for you.

Basketto

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
??? there are android emulators that can emulate the switch. now compare your phone with the steam deck and ask yourself if your phone has the same power than the steam deck. doubt it.

i think you seriously underestimate the steam deck hardware and what difference parts make that have been developed more recently, even if the numbers (of cores for example) are not impressive.

Also its not just raw "power" that makes one system emulate another well. When emulating a console like NES, N64 or anything else from that era, the host systems never had to care much about optimization because the jumps in "power/performance" are just extremly huge and the operations of said console do not require "much". We now live in a time where developing, just like the hardware itself, gets more refined and we try to get every drop of juice out of it. it makes a huge difference. those claims of "you need powerfull hardware" are still true but are from a time when pcs couldnt emulate xbox 360's. that time is long gone.

Funnily enough, yuzu more than anything requires raw CPU power. Even at 4ghz, which is much more than the steam deck, your not running everything perfectly.
I have a fairly modern desktop which outstrips the steam deck by a large margin, it still struggles with a good few games. If your expecting silky smooth yuzu emulation for most of the library, your going to be let down. That is all im saying.

Last edited by Basketto,
Reactions: Rahkeesh

ionutbigiu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Replies that didnt age well.,..

• Haha
Reactions: Slluxx

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1671278218203.png

Overwatch 2 lol

Site & Scene News