Rayout

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What is the current state of PSP homebrew?

My sister has a PSP she bought at launch that she never, ever uses. I might buy it off her for cheap, but I already have a DSL+supercard+2gb sd card.

I am really leary of buying the PSP b/c I would need to go out and buy a beefy memory stick which would mean I'd be supporting evil Sony.

However, if there's enough good stuff out there I'd consider it. What goodies are available for the PSP? I know you can watch videos/play music, but how are the emulators on it? Does the SNES/Genesis run well? How is the web browser? What is the battery life when running emulators/listening to music?

djprotoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
snes - runs great.
genesis - I believe the same (not tried it myself)
battery life for these, depending on what you set the cpu speed to, 3-5 hours
music, not sure, *but* has to be at least as good as usaing pmp (plays back decent res x264 + vbr mp3), which can manage 10 hours @111mhz ( which is enough for 40fps). don't know about the browser, i've never bothered.
Overall, the scene is pretty active (seems more so that the ds), but morre focus on homebrew games (pmp and pmpstreamer aside).

serious_sean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
as usual, no really good homebrew games, but the apps are amazing.
i think most talented game developers are bieng paid!

the emulation is great!
nes, gbc, gb, snes, genesis are all pretty perfect.

n64 and gba are on their way (5 - 10 fps), who knows if they'll ever run full speed.

there are also a ton of video / audio apps and also a good share of oddball stuff available.

overall, the homebrew scene for psp is really great, just like the xbox scene. i recommend getting a psp for this reason. make sure to get a lower version firmware though! ( 2.1 or lower ).

djprotoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1.5 is the best firmware to run ( afaik, they have not got kernel mode working on firmware 2.0+), but I also believe there are now working downgraders for all availiable firmwares (upto 2.71). There is also a firmware chainbooter so you can have 1.5 and still run your umds that need higher f/ws.

harryjon35

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I also believe there are now working downgraders for all availiable firmwares (upto 2.71).

the downgrader only works up to firmware 2.6. but he said his sister bought her psp on launch, so this shouldn't be a problem if she never updated the firmware.

every firmware up to 2.7 can be emulated with a program called devhook (0.44). so it's possible to run everything on a 1.5 psp including "evil isos".

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
There aren't really any good homebrew games but the homebrew emulators are amazing!

The SNES emulator is incredibly polished right down to the interface. It looks like a commercial product. Plus Ad Hoc multiplayer included! If you want to play some Chrono Trigger or whatever on the go, PSP has you covered.

The Megadrive Emulator is also very good. Sonic 2 & 3 run perfectly fine along with every other game I've tried.

GB/C works great too.

GBA is being worked on right now but it has a very bright future, I'm expecting it to get to full speed in the future.

Neo Geo and others work well too.

So yeah homebrew is leagues better on the PSP than DS.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
PSP is kinda like GPX2.....great for emulation, unfortunately not much else
biggrin.gif

Just kidding, I saw that a new version of the N64 emulator was released. Anyone give it a whirl?

Rayout

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton for the posts guys
biggrin.gif

Well seeing as how I have a DS Lite already, it would be a pain to carry around two hand helds.

I probably will be sticking with my Lite tho, I already have a supercard/2 gig sd card for it and with moonshell it's my media and mp3 player (haha ipods ftl). Battery life is a plus too
tongue.gif

Just gotta cross my fingers and hope snezziboy gets more progress
biggrin.gif

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Who cares about emus, ports and apps? Well, at least I don't.
wink.gif
2X and Zodiac emulate most stuff and play movies better than the PSP, and my Zodiac is the king of all other apps... with the DS doing the Wifi stuff. Seems like I still don't need a PSP. Yet.

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got to tell you guys, I traded in my 1.5 PSP for a DS lite and have not looked back. I was using Devhook and all the iso loaders and that was cool and all, but I would load an iso and then think, so what, I don't really want to play this crud. some of the emulators are great though. the genisis ones were pretty good but would lock up once in a whle but the NES one was really good (snes was pretty good too but had its quirks)

TheMasterTheif

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I found out about homebrew through the PSP. And PSP homebrew got boring for me. A lot of the emulators are good. And there is a Starcraft game for the PSP. In LUA but LUA looks pretty shitty.

No Name Trowa Barton

Namaiki iun-ja naiyo™
Trophies
Website
www.NoNameTrowaBarton.com
XP
Country
United States
some of my views from the thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=35432&st=0

the amount a psp can do is just insane.

the psp is more the gba sucesser to me then the ds is. i own both.

psp can run Super NES games full speed. NEO GEO games full speed and its getting there on PS1 and N64 Emulation.

thats just emulation. the handheld its self plays music, movies, browses the internet, there is just so much to it. online play works better on the psp then on nintendos WiFi Connect. (i cant play on WIFI connect because of my firewall T.T) and i personaly dislike the 2nd screen and the touch screen. i also hate handwriting so thats probly why...

Metal Gar Solid Portable OPS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou_fwU0HFA4
Bleach 12 and 3*
Narutio Narutounament porable* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiKE-TAkN3c
katamari damashi *
GTA Liberty city storys*
GTA Vice City Storys
Ace Combat X http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnHZeVx45uY
DJ MAX portable* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FJIj18YRXI
TEKKEN Dark Resurection*
devil may cry
prince of persia the warior within*
toumb raider legonds*
Monstar hunter freedom* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJrTxYeSGk0
magnacarta portable... the list goes on.

the amout of comerical games for it are extensive. and good quality. ps2 or better visualy. and Field Comander beats Advace wars any day. and the game play is what you would expect from the type of game it is. seriously tekken DR runs better then tekken 5 on the ps2. esp with its gamesharing modes.

i am not realy just saying this because i have a psp... but because unlike alot of you i see what the psp is capable of.

it truly is a awsome handheld far better then the gp32x or whatever... because of its insane 1st and 3rd party games and the homebrew. if it wasnt for DJ MAX and TEKKEN... and katamari... and alot of other games >.< i probly wouldnt have said this but the psp is godly.

*games that are out now

aslo with a 1.50 psp and Devhook .45 you can load any game as a iso that is curently released...

no modchips or extra harware needed... just software... and with cusom frimware. you can boot directly into 2.71 emulated in devhook and run games at 333mhz rather then 222 they are caped at. seriously psps rock...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://www.keepretro.com/products/miyoo-a30