Homebrew Start from scratch with a long time unused jailbroken 3DS?

homebrewfan88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hello,

I didn't use my jailbroken 3DS for more than a year, maybe almost two years but now want to play some 3DS games again, my problem is now, that my knowledge about the jailbreak and the tools are more than just a little rusty and I didn't follow the development over the time I didn't use it. Since I get the deeper knowledge normally by doing the actual jailbreak and using all the necessary tools myself I wonder if the best idea would be to start from scratch. I have a file in my Dropbox called NAND.bin which ist about 1.3 GB big which is if I remember correctly a backup image of the unmodified system storage.

The system software on my 3DS is 9.2.0 (or RX-E 9.2.0 which refers already to the jailbreak if I remember correctly) and when I turn on the 3DS a bootloader comes up from where I can launch rxTools or HomeBrewMenu which looks kinda like the Wii HomeBrewChannel.

What steps would be recommended here, I guess going back to the stock firmware via the NAND.bin and start from scratch? Should I update to a later firmware and jailbreak from there? Or is it better to stay on 9.2 and is there a way to update just some components to be able to play later games but keeping the ability to jailbreak?

Thanks in advance!

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your 3ds boots to a stock firmware without the sd card inserted you can use this guide to install the most recent hack

THYPLEX

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
First of all:
Do you have a old or a new 3ds ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171026-230553.jpg
    Screenshot_20171026-230553.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 781

homebrewfan88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks for the quick responses, it is a New 3DS and I just gave it a try and indeed it seems to boot to the stock firmware when turning the 3DS on without an SD card. Just one thing by the way, I noticed that the 3D effect was not working under the RX-E 9.2.0 firmware (also calibrating didn't help) and now without the SD card it works great again. This problem seems kinda familiar but if there was an easy fix or way to avoid it, I forgot about it ;-)

I will have a look at the guide, just one more thing: The SD card right now is is kinda small and I would like to use a bigger one, is there a limit for a maximum size and is there a way to move all the tings I have on the old one to the new one (just copy/paste)?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses, it is a New 3DS and I just gave it a try and indeed it seems to boot to the stock firmware when turning the 3DS on without an SD card. Just one thing by the way, I noticed that the 3D effect was not working under the RX-E 9.2.0 firmware (also calibrating didn't help) and now without the SD card it works great again. This problem seems kinda familiar but if there was an easy fix or way to avoid it, I forgot about it ;-)

I will have a look at the guide, just one more thing: The SD card right now is is kinda small and I would like to use a bigger one, is there a limit for a maximum size and is there a way to move all the tings I have on the old one to the new one (just copy/paste)?
any sd card will work as long as its formatted fat32. Just copy and paste everything. Saves may need to be transferred with jksm

Last edited by Adeka,

homebrewfan88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
any sd card will work as long as its formatted fat32. Just copy and paste everything. Saves may need to be transferred with jksm

Thanks, I just tried that, I formatted a SanDisk SD Card with 32GB with FAT32 and copied everything from the old 4GB Card on it. On the first sight everything seemed fine, the Bootloader came up and the HomeBrewMenu would launch, however the whole system seems now much less stable. It seems I can't exit any application now without crashing the systems and also when I choose rxTools from the Bootloader I can't launch the main 3DS interface. Are there maybe still some more precautions I need to take care off when switching to a new SD Card?

Last edited by homebrewfan88,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a