Hacking starfall install and gecko os questions

ryu00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hi, 2 questions

1. im considering installing starfall to take advantage of the features it offers. im just skeptical about whats required to have it installed, having read the wiibrew wiki and it suggesting a brick is possible. i have remained on the 3.2e firmware, i havent installed anything other than patchmii and the dvdx stub to get dvds running, is it fine to install starfall now? or do i need to install anything else?

2. does using the gecko os through the homebrew channel to load games remove the update check i.e. like freeloader does?

thanks in advance

junk_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arm the Homeless said:
1) Yep. Install Starfall. Completely safe.

2) It should. Since it is the Wii System Menu that wants you to upgrade, not starting the disk through GeckoOS.

so it is safe to run other region games using gecko os backup launcher right? so it doesnt update when using the geckos loader?

ryu00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for clearing that up mate
smile.gif

ryu00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
yeh i read around for information about starfall, i just didnt seem to find anything to suggest what the exact requirements were for its installation, guess thats maybe coz there isnt any? but better to be safe than sorry, all this custom ios talk etc is kinda overwhelming especially when your system is fine and you don't actually need it?

anyway ive installed starfall successfully now, some cool features, especially turning the disc updates off. ive updated the hbc, read on here you need to have dols instead of old elfs, updated a few apps and everything is appearing to work fine now.

thanks for the help and hope this thread helps others like me who are a little bedazzled.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
anyway ive installed starfall successfully now, some cool features, especially turning the disc updates off. ive updated the hbc, read on here you need to have dols instead of old elfs, updated a few apps and everything is appearing to work fine now.

thanks for the help and hope this thread helps others like me who are a little bedazzled.
Cool, just its annoying when people don't search a little bit before posting noobish posts, etc
smile.gif

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
junk_man32 said:
so it is safe to run other region games using gecko os backup launcher right? so it doesnt update when using the geckos loader?
There is no need for gecko-os when using starfall - starfall prevents the update check anyway.

Retrovertigo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I semi-hijack this thread and ask if starfall suffers the same problem of gecko os - in that if you use RGB you get a red screen with NTSC games? Thanks.

quim69

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
Retrovertigo said:
Could I semi-hijack this thread and ask if starfall suffers the same problem of gecko os - in that if you use RGB you get a red screen with NTSC games? Thanks.
Unfortunately so. :/

ryu00

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
hmm i have starfall installed and i still need to use gecko os with a select few games that fail to load straight from the wii menu and just black screen. i guess that might have something to do with games that ive previously brickblocked. on another note gecko os by passes the #001 error check which is a good thing having an older mod chip.

Chinman

Trophies
XP
Country
when starfall updates with wii region free with video switching as promised, then those games will work without gecko os. thats what im waiting for

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill