Starbound Preorders Opened

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Rydian, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    [​IMG]

Preorders for Starbound have opened. Starbound is an upcoming space exploration game, created by indie devs including people who previously worked on Terraria. No release date is set for the full version, "2013" is all we're told right now.
    In addition to getting the game and the soundtrack for $15, there's various tiers that give you all sorts of rewards, a la Kickstarter. $45 gets your name put in the NPC name generation list, $75 gets your name in the credits (a la FTL: Faster Than Light), and if you feel like putting in $500 or $1,000 you can design a hat or weapon for the game, respectively. If you feel like going all-in and chip in $2,000 USD, they'll design a statue of you as a decoration object you can place in-game.

inb4 Hitler cosplay statue and shit like that.

[​IMG] Source

alidsl, IBNobody and Celice like this.
  2. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I hope some Earthbound fans mistakenly purchase this game and then rage about it online.

That would be good for a chuckle or two.

ferofax, SuzieJoeBob, Qtis and 2 others like this.
  3. Xuphor

Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

Banned
    Jul 14, 2007
    United States
    USA
    So they made one hit game, now they think they are so awesome, and are doing this whole pre-order thing with $500, $1,000, and $2,000 denominations?

Someone's ego is completely out of control..... I would love it if this game fails horrendously.

4. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Actually, only one person working on Starbound worked on Terraria, and that's Tiyuri, who's the head of Starbound AFAIK. He did the art and some programming for Terraria.

This is essentially a Kickstarter, just self-hosted. They have different donation tiers, like most Kickstarters do, as well as stretch goals.

5. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States
    The only one I know of by name is Tiy, the sprite artist, and Jesus Fucking Christ™, I hate to see how you'd react to the budget of things like video games that get published on consoles.

Thanatos Telos and Celice like this.
  6. IBNobody

IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

Nov 16, 2006
    United States
    Texas, Hang 'Em High
    Thanks. In for $15. Anything more just isn't worth it.

7. Skelletonike

Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Dec 26, 2008
    Steam City
    http://playstarbound.com/store/

They actually have reasonable priced pre-orders, those three are just the normal thing for high donations.

From what I've seen from the game, it seems a lot like Terraria, so I'll definitly get this once it's actually out for sale.

8. Ritsuki

Ritsuki ORAORAORAORA

Mar 15, 2008
    Switzerland
    Just preordered... It's my first preorder so I hope I won't be disappointed :)

9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Pretty much every single kickstarter game is this way, with reward tiers that are essentially preorders and some ridiculously high tiers.

10. alidsl

alidsl I am now a lurker

May 27, 2009
    Kanto - Pallet Town
    I've been following this game for a while and it's safe to say its far more in depth than terraria, there are 7 different races all with their different perks and 100 different kinds of planet that you can land on (more of everything will be added in updates)

I'm fucking excited about this one

11. Rydian
    OP

Rydian Resident Furvert™

Feb 4, 2010
    United States