Star Wars: Battlefront II updates to end as DICE focuses on upcoming Battlefield game next year

ToTKGpi.jpg

The end of new modes or characters additions is nigh for Star Wars: Battlefront II, as EA prepares the game's final content update. Tomorrow, on April 29th, Battlefront II will receive its last free content update, called the Battle on Scarif. The game has had over 25 major updates since its launch in 2017, with the latest update to add the new location of Scarif, from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, along with new ships. You can also play through this location offline in co-op solo play as well, against AI.

While new content may stop, EA will still be providing bugfixes and minor patches for Battlefront II, and the servers for the game are set to stay online for the foreseeable future. In addition, development on content updates for DICE's Battlefield V will cease as well, due to the development team shifting focus to their upcoming unannounced new Battlefield game, set for release in 2021.

:arrow: Source

Brigand

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Woah, 2017? I planned to pick it up three years ago, and now it's getting its final update and I still don't own it. Weird to think how time's gone so fast!

Reactions: XanLoves

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Scarif sounds fun, I enjoyed the original SWBFII and SWBF EA. Maybe I'll buy this on Steam or whatever when I have a good enough PC. Sad to see it stop at this point, though.

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The end of new modes or characters additions is nigh for Star Wars: Battlefront II, as EA prepares the game's final content update. Tomorrow, on April 29th, Battlefront II will receive its last free content update, called the Battle on Scarif. The game has had over 25 major updates since its launch in 2017, with the latest update to add the new location of Scarif, from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, along with new ships. You can also play through this location offline in co-op solo play as well, against AI.

While new content may stop, EA will still be providing bugfixes and minor patches for Battlefront II, and the servers for the game are set to stay online for the foreseeable future. In addition, development on content updates for DICE's Battlefield V will cease as well, due to the development team shifting focus to their upcoming unannounced new Battlefield game, set for release in 2021.

:arrow: Source
alright i suppose

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game had a worse start than it should have. Yes it had loot boxes with pay to win mechanics but that was only in the game for one day exclusive to some players and removed never to be seen again yet that single mistake destroyed the reputation of the game for two years until people realized the potential of the game. Battlefront 2 has made one of the biggest gaming comebacks in history and is partly responsible for games to have only cosmetic dlc nowadays.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm the only person who liked the game.... it's free on EA Pass if you have Xbox One or they are dirt cheap on PS4

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
never played it but since it's made by EA... my expectations are always low
You've obviously not pld star wars fallen order - EA also make lots of other great games - some people just like to hate Big companies thts all

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is the perfect time to get around to playing the game...right?
You've obviously not pld star wars fallen order - EA also make lots of other great games - some people just like to hate Big companies thts all
Nah, just the ones with a track record of being terrible. They make a few good games, I'll agree. Doesn't mean they're not bottom-feeders, though. Just means some of the developers produce great games despite how the company treats their employees and consumers. But watcha gonna do, besides buying used and never buying their dlc.

Reactions: Deleted User

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But watcha gonna do, besides buying used and never buying their dlc.
Does buying used serve to undermine their profits? While not quite as flawed logic as buying used is basically robbing food from the mouths of the kids of game devs it would appear to come from the same place. This is to say the ridiculously high cost of admission in turn gets justified by having a residual value.

Granted I say that with people seemingly quite prepared to throw it all away on the PC, and buying sports games every year for decades.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does buying used serve to undermine their profits? While not quite as flawed logic as buying used is basically robbing food from the mouths of the kids of game devs it would appear to come from the same place. This is to say the ridiculously high cost of admission in turn gets justified by having a residual value.

Granted I say that with people seemingly quite prepared to throw it all away on the PC, and buying sports games every year for decades.
not undermine so much as not contribute to either numbers sold or profit. For me, a potentially passive incentive is far better than bumping their numbers and directly giving money. Used miiiiight influence some, but probably depends on where you buy. Though going the free route is probably the route most would take :P . But if going legal, used and no dlc is the best way to go as the company sees none of that.

I try and buy new for games i want to support. Or digital if new physical isn't an option. It's a small thing, but it is something.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: New Myoo.